How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Fix Edit in Word/Excel - Currently not working

When you have saved an excel/ word file in files section in teams then you click on the file and edit. The edit in word/excel online works but the edit in word/excel does nothing and does not open word/excel to edit the document. Desktop teams version is Microsoft Teams Version 1.0.00.10302 (64-bit). It was last updated on 4/21/17.

44 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Steven Baillie shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

20 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a number of team members of different departments eg electrical, Mechanical etc updating the same excel spreadsheet. As soon as they start to filter their own group of information is causes problems for other users viewing and updating. What can i do to resolve this

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem here. I can get as far as logging in to activate the Edit function in Word, but it just keeps loading and loading for ages so that I can't work and am growing progressively angrier. Why has this ridiculous function been added? It seems to be causing a great many people a great deal of trouble.

Same issue
        Workaround does not work because excel online refuses to open the document as it has objects in it

• Scott C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A workaround...
        1) Open in Word Online
        2) Click Edit in Word button (near top of application window)

I'm using Office 365

This has just started happening to me too.
        Serveral reboots and tried opening from SharePoint instead which also doesn't work (using FireFox.) Was working fine before.
        Even if you open up Work/Excel first and then select the files that are in SharePoint (Teams) from the list there, it will immedately close the appliction with no error message.

Clearly a bug, must have been introduced with a teams update or Office version update.

• Dean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

same problem, just started this week. had been working fine.

• Regulator commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue. open a file in teams, click edit in excel.. It says opening Excel but Excel does not open. Then you need to quit Excel via task manager.

• Charles R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are a company of about 25 people and only 1 employee has this issue with Word not opening when prompted from Microsoft Teams

What we have done so far:

Uninstall/Reinstall Teams
        Uninstall/Reinstall Word

• Manoj S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are still having this issue with Teams. Will this be fixed ? This was working for some time without any issues and then started failing now. I am getting a blank excel or word document when trying to edit files with the Excel/Word installed locally on my laptop by opening it from Teams. Let me know if any additional information is required. The same works fine when we open from sharepoint directly.

• Leonardo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue with:
        Microsoft Teams Version 1.0.00.34851 (64-bit). Updated on 12/19/17
        Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus Version 1711 (Build 8730.21.27)

Now I open those file type from Word using site urls.

• John Bordin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same problem! When I try to open in Excel or in Word, nothing happens. It works OK if I open in Excel Online or in Word Online.
        I am running the latest version of both Office (Office 2016) and Teams "Microsoft Teams Version 1.0.00.31451 (64-bit). It was last updated on 12/1/17".

This was working OK for a few weeks and then it stopped working and I don't know how to fix this.

Can anybody help?

• Uwe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have exactly the same problem! Open in Word= nothing happens, Open word online works fine. Open a pptx in Powerpoint also works fine.
        Can anybody help?

• Shane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have exactly the same issue. All current updated versions of Teams and Office 2016.
        Open in Word does nothing, but Open in word Online works fine.
        Note: This used to happen with excel files, but that works fine now for some unknown reason.

Feedback and Knowledge Base