How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Fix Edit in Word/Excel - Currently not working

When you have saved an excel/ word file in files section in teams then you click on the file and edit. The edit in word/excel online works but the edit in word/excel does nothing and does not open word/excel to edit the document. Desktop teams version is Microsoft Teams Version 1.0.00.10302 (64-bit). It was last updated on 4/21/17.

54 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Steven Baillie shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

26 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Oz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem is happening to a client of mine. Click on Edit in Excel, and nothing happens. There is no error message. We have an E3 license, and she is using O365. Both teams and Office 365 are the latest version.
    Any ideas?

• Drew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just started using Teams in my office. Was working fine until today. Like others, not able to open/edit in Excel. Exact error message received by Jon Klimek. Looks like this has been a know issue for nearly a year. Why has this not been addressed?

• Jon Klimek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Edit in Excel not functioning well. I close all tasks around Excel as that seemed to be a temporary solution, and eventually the program would open - able to edit it. then i come back later in the day and no longer does that solution work.. Only thing that will work for me is when i do full restart of my machine, go back to teams and click edit in excel. If i want to go back in, i have to do a full reboot.

It will sit there with the Excel Launch at 100%, but nothing opens.
    Opening: File name.xlsx (100%) - and sits there idle.

Most of the time, I receive the below error message:
    "The file could not be accessed. Try the following:
    Make sure the specified folder exists
    Make sure the folder that contains the file is not read-only
    Make sure the file name does not include one of the following characters: < > ? [ ] : | or *
    Make sure the file path name does not contain more that 218 characters"

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My team and I are unable to use the Open Excel option from Files in Teams. We can Open in Excel Online, and Edit directly in teams. Keep getting an error message:
    The file could not be accessed. Try the following:
    Make sure the specified folder exists
    Make sure the folder that contains the file is not read-only
    Make sure the file name does not include one of the following characters: < > ? [ ] : | or *
    Make sure the file path name does not contain more that 218 characters

My team and I have made sure that the file is not read only, it does not have any special characters, and the file name does not contain more than 218 characters.
    I have re-named and even re-built the spreadsheet and uploaded to Files and get the following message:
    We cannot connect to (file path for my corporate sharepoint site that is connected to teams for the upload). Please make sure you are using the correct web address.

I am able to access the document if I download. this is not acceptable, because the Auto Save feature is not enabled. Which will force my entire team to upload their version on the document. It also opens in protected view mode. Which also forces us to access the properties of the document and "unblock" the protected view. *The document is not save in protected view mode. This just started this week.

• Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a number of team members of different departments eg electrical, Mechanical etc updating the same excel spreadsheet. As soon as they start to filter their own group of information is causes problems for other users viewing and updating. What can i do to resolve this

Same problem here. I can get as far as logging in to activate the Edit function in Word, but it just keeps loading and loading for ages so that I can't work and am growing progressively angrier. Why has this ridiculous function been added? It seems to be causing a great many people a great deal of trouble.

Same issue
    Workaround does not work because excel online refuses to open the document as it has objects in it

• Scott C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A workaround...
    1) Open in Word Online
    2) Click Edit in Word button (near top of application window)

I'm using Office 365

This has just started happening to me too.
    Serveral reboots and tried opening from SharePoint instead which also doesn't work (using FireFox.) Was working fine before.
    Even if you open up Work/Excel first and then select the files that are in SharePoint (Teams) from the list there, it will immedately close the appliction with no error message.

Clearly a bug, must have been introduced with a teams update or Office version update.

• Regulator commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue. open a file in teams, click edit in excel.. It says opening Excel but Excel does not open. Then you need to quit Excel via task manager.

• Charles R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are a company of about 25 people and only 1 employee has this issue with Word not opening when prompted from Microsoft Teams

What we have done so far:

Uninstall/Reinstall Teams
    Uninstall/Reinstall Word

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.