How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Visual notification in systray of unread message (for both Mac and PC)

When there is an unread message, it would be *very* helpful if the systray icon could have a visual indicator that something is unread.

162 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ben Spead shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Vlado Groch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to agree that red dot is not enough. It's used as a status (in the meeting) and using same visual for missed chats is a bad decision.

Small bubble icon (even better with some visual indication - e.g. flashing) would do the job much better

• Snehal Chauhan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@warren red dot is not enough, most of the time we wouldn't notice it. i wish if there could be something like s4b notification flash which draws attention toward unread notification.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The dot on my system tray icon stays red always, even though there are no unread messages. I would really like a dependable visual indicator that I have a new message on the Teams Client (can the icon on the taskbar flash or change color or something)?

Additionally, system tray icons are almost always wrapped off the screen and are not visible without expanding the system tray.

• bdot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've never had a red dot when there has been new activity.
        But then the system also never sends e-mails or pops up notifications that there is activity either.

So basically all forms of notifying people that there is something there does not seem to work.

You don't have this for all users. The red dot does not work if the Taskbar appearance (Taskbar properties) has the "Use small icons" option checked. With regular icon size I have observed the dot but the huge icons are too wasteful of space. I therefore have "small icons" set.

Just as many of the others have stated, the problem is the red dot is identical to the "in a meeting" icon status. The icon appearance in regard to availability/status should be wholly separate from when a new message arrives. Frankly, I don't need a red dot telling me I'm in a meeting.

• James O commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem is the red dot is identical to the "in a meeting" icon status. The icon appearance in regard to availability/status should be wholly separate from the number of new/waiting messages/notifications.

• Darren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every IM/chat app I've ever used gives this capability, so its quite a big missing piece of functionality. Its too easy to miss the banner notification, so having a persistent visual reminder of new messages is vital for any IM topol.

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must - so many times I have missed notifications when signing in, because the tray icon does nothing.

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely need this! And an option to use *only* this for notifications from some channels etc instead of the popups!

Agreed!! I have to keep notification pop ups turned off because they only show on my left screen, which is what shows when I perform demos. My customers don't need to read the messages I'm receiving

• Daniel Zardo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This a much necessary feature. Once one disables the pop up notiications, it is necessary to have a visual cue on the tray showing that something new has arrived, preventing us to keep accessing the window to check.

• Karl Maynard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My users are frequently commenting on the fact they don't see messages that have arrived. We have just moved to teams from slack, and this is the #2 issue we have.

For the most part the users work in the Chat tab all day, then if there is a post on a channel its not particularly obvious - I found using @mention to the channel helps, but it would be nice to be able to have more notification options, including sticky systray messages, sound etc.

• Stuart Paice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems to I miss a lot of communications because I am not notified by the app. when I go into the app then I see bold text on the conversation. It would be good to have a more pronounce visual like Skype for business the icon flashing and integration to Win 10 notifications.

This would be extremely helpful, as it's very easy to miss a notification (if you are away from your desk, have the PC desktop app closed, etc.). The icon in the notification area needs to alert to new chats/followed conversation updates. Lync does this, slack does this....

• Deepthi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams / channels need visual indications as to whether they are
        * Public or Private
        * Are being followed or not

Feedback and Knowledge Base