How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Delete an O365 Team

When creating an Office 365 Team using the client UI, an O365 Group is automatically created as well as a SharePoint site and One Note notebook. However, DELETING the Team through the client UI only removes the O365 Group, not the SharePoint site and notebook.

I think it would be good to delete all Team objects when deleting the Team.

30 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Betty shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

THIS IS NOT A BUG. This seems to be the best way to archive the information while keeping your Team UI "clean" of old projects. Until there is a way to archive Teams, this is how we archive work.

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What if a Team is created from an existing Group? If you delete the Team it should leave the Group and the SharePoint site.

• Judi Stewart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

... would REALLY like to see deletion of all content as an option.

The danger is that when Team Sites have had content that really should persist stored on the underlying SP365 site, deleting the team automatically deletes assets that should be kept.... Not good in an Enterprise situation.

• Betty Stolwyk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This appears to have been corrected. I gave this another go with the most current Teams Client Web UI and all is well. I created a new Team and verified that it built an associated SharePoint site, an O365 Group (visible in Outlook from the Group drop-down and visible in Azure Active Directory Groups), and Exchange Group mailbox.

After verifying that all the expected objects had also been created, I proceeded to delete the Team through the Team client Web UI. (right-click Team name, and select Delete from drop-down menu)

A warning dialog box popped up (nice!): Are you sure you want to delete the team "xxxxx"? All channels, chats, files, and the Office 365 Group for this team will be deleted".

I checked the "I understand that everything will be deleted" checkbox, then clicked the "Delete Team" button.

Going back I verified that all associated objects had been deleted : SharePoint site, the O365 Group (no longer visible in Outlook from the Group drop-down nor in Azure Active Directory Groups), and Exchange Group mailbox.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.