How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Rename General channel

Make it so we can change the name of the General Channel.

1,699 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tyler Seitz shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As part of our commitment to being customer driven, we’d love your input on top features that will improve your satisfaction with teams and channels navigation, and help you be more productive in Teams.  Please access the survey here: https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=v4j5cvGGr0GRqy180BHbR7hW7rKdVrVInUSM809cvrtUNFhLRVNJVVhaUFI0WEJHVTA4MlpGWVZUSS4u

Thanks for your feedback!

274 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

First 10 seconds on Teams - already frustrated, can't change the General channel name or delete it. It's meaningless - if you need a placeholder on creation of a new team, just call it "new channel", like "new folder" in Windows - although the concept of placeholders is too mid-90's (outdated web design), along with "under construction" and "coming soon". Users won't come back.

• KYT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

just setup my first team, realized it created a general channel by default

literally the first thing I wanted was to rename or delete it. WTF.

Please allow renaming and/or hiding of General channel! Ridiculous that with all the other customisable options, this can't be changed. It's a meaningless title for my organisation, and plenty more by the look of it.

• Mike Patterson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is bad usability, you are forcing a label into a navigation structure that may be misleading to users, please allow us to rename!

• Kim Boggess commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make the 'General' folder renameable. It causes the user to have to wade through it just to discover what's in it and then memorize for future efficiency. Useability of it for a meaningful purpose is low.

• David Neumann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have read in the comments that this was rejected. Would be nice to know more around the context of why. I mean there must be additional insight as to why "General" is important enough to remain static and forced upon general use. Structure is important but it should not be so rigid that it does not support flexibility in what we do. Because what we do is not necessarily what others do or even so done the same way.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

General Channel name provides little value in many organizations. E.g. we have a Board Team... we need a channel for Board Meetings and a few others for events. As we are disjointed most of the month, easy to understand channel names goes a long way. Please allow the rename.

• Jonathan Pettibone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please let us rename the General channel! My students are getting confused because they don't know where to start, and as a new user of teams, I did not realize this would be an issue.

I love that 'the team has declined this suggestion' originally without any explanation to users. With last month's survey it seems Microsoft might actually listen. Could you please just hurry up and do it? All proposals in the survey are long overdue.

• Brampton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, not being able to rename a channel is literally the most primitive function of an application

Hilariously bad

• Brampton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Man, Microsoft seriously sucks. How can they put out such buggy, unpolished garbage?

I just went through a hilariously bad experience on a Surface Pro 4 where the app simply froze up on the login screen and errors with 4c7

Would like to be able to rename the General channel name.
    Seems this is not currently possible and I am not the only one feeling frustrated.

• Ders commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am relatively new to Teams, my first experience of Teams was the need to rename 'General', nothing was immediately obvious from the context menu so I figured a quick Google search would resolve my ineptitude. Then I discovered this thread...

My second experience of Teams was to remove it from my laptop and question why Microsoft have unilaterally decided that having a non-specific 'General' Channel is mandatory.

Major fail. Disappointing. Frustrating.

Thanks Microsoft for yet another great concept, poorly delivered.

• Patrick Donoghue commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Started with Teams and this was our first & immediate "how to we change moment".

Design fail for an otherwise powerful project workspace.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14

Feedback and Knowledge Base