How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Rename General channel

Make it so we can change the name of the General Channel.

1,301 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tyler Seitz shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

222 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dan Renner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still pathetic that this hasn't been addressed yet. Please allow us to rename the General channel ASAP. The MS Teams development team needs to realize that this is impeding the adoption of their technology by many organizations due user confusion concerns.

End users are dumb (no offense). Configurability is key. Hammer out this feature request, please.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Depending on how long you've been using Office 365, the fact that this request has been going since April 2017 may or may not surprise you. I used to be frustrated when such simple features were overlooked and unaddressed, but now I've come to expect disappointment. That's what Office 365 is to me now - bloated yet featureless at the same time. Very marketable in a snazzy video and appears to keep up with the competition, but then you're in it and you realize the tremendous hole your company has dug for you and your team. Sorry, rant over. Just add it, would ya?

• jj sm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

215 requests, 1263 votes, nearly two years no action and counting.

Just how many people need to complain about such a basic request before this is changed?

How many "General" projects/discussions are there at Microsoft? I'm guessing the same number as at our company, none.

Please let me delete this channel to avoid the confusion.

• Alex Waters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of the reasons I have not rolled this out to my company and continuing to use slack is because of this general channel. I know I will be bombarded by the users constantly asking what is the general channel for etc when we do not need it!

I agree with the possibility of renaming or deleting the general tab. Most users find it confusing.

Multiple similar teams all with a 'General' channel leads to a great deal of confusion.

It should be made so the General channel can either be hidden or renamed.

• Roger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Because the whole team has access to all channels, people are setting up new teams to collaborate on workstreams which have private elements.

New teams tend to use the general file and this results in multiple teams with the same or similar name all using the general file in their channel. This is leading to confusion and management challenges.

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Try to adopt teams, users ask what general is for, I have no explanation as it doesn't apply to much.. it's just an extra channel that doesn't make sense.

• Jack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a case where the "Team" scope has expanded and it is no longer appropriate for the "General" channel to be used as it was originally. We really need to be able to rename it to stop other users from being confused by it and posting in the wrong place.

• Shelley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, the folder named "General" automatically gets created in Documents. The problem with this is that when you want to access your Documents via Teams, it takes you not to the top of your Documents folder, but instead to a child folder within Documents named "General" which will likely be empty, because who organizes files into a General folder? New users cannot be expected to know how to get up to the parent Documents folder. All they see is an empty folder when they click Files. When in Teams but not in a particular channel, clicking on Files should take you to the top level of the Documents folder.

• Shelley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, General sounds so....general. And doesn't it basically serve as the Home channel, like the Home page of a website? It's your landing page (channel) and should always be listed first, regardless of alphabetization. Just like a home or index page of a website.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12

Feedback and Knowledge Base