How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Rename General channel

Make it so we can change the name of the General Channel.

607 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tyler Seitz shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

100 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As I associated the Teams to Private Group (Sharepoint), 'General' folder is very not a good name under a Sharepoint Document folder. Definitely, need the rename feature.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys - pls allow this channel to be renamed; it's a similar mad set up with Slack and frankly it's a nightmare when you are running multiple teams....

• Calum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having the default named as General makes your activity feed crazy. If you are in lots of different teams messages are all coming from General unless you all agree to not use the General channel at all.

• Mark Heseltine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This poorly-chosen channel name has been copied from Slack, where it is similarly misunderstood.

"Team announcements" would be a better starting name for the channel.

• Johan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow to change name from General, When you work in many teams it can be really confusing that every first channel is called "General"

• steve p commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow the ability to rename the 'General' tab. We want to call it 'Support' and use it as a Help and Information hub to provide tutorials and How To information for our users.

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow users to change the name from General. If we are creating custom channels then this one gets in the way.

• Alistaire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I so agree with what others have said. I totally do NOT understand the purpose of the general channel. It just seems to take up space. Is there a place that explains the purpose, so I could explain it to employees? Maybe there is something useful there that I don't understand, but it just seems to be in the way.

Yes. You can rename the #General channel in slack. This would be a much desired ability.

• Randall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Destined to become a mess, an unmanaged catch-all that will lower teams productivity, the very thing it's supposed to improve

I take it no one at MS is using Teams as I guess it would have been fixed by now ? Or does everyone at MS just chat all day in the top general default channel ? I cannot believe as others have stated, that you cannot delete or rename any channel and call it whatever you like... utterly ludicrous

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why let people complain and complain about something so simple. Just allow removing the General channel. It's an obvious obstacle to the way people envision using Microsoft Teams.
        I'm actually responsible for implementing a communication tool for my office while it is under construction.
        I'm setting that structure up RIGHT NOW, as I'm writing. The only thing hinge-ing on my choice between Teams and Slack is the ability to flexibly name and rename channels.

The permanent "General" channel for every team created is a minor flaw that causes major headaches and confusion. I'm on boarding a diverse range of ages to this software, and having "General" risks confusing the heck out of my company and botching our transition onto Teams. Honestly, at this point, Teams will be on board to Slack. Once we're ready, we'll switch over the Slack. Let people change the names of any teams in Teams. PLEASE

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base