How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Rename General channel

Make it so we can change the name of the General Channel.

817 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tyler Seitz shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

135 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When we create a team we get started quickly without realising that the the General Channel gets created and our activities start getting associated with the channel. By the time we realise and would want to change the channel name to something more meaningful for the team, its too late!. Rename feature would help.

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In Germany "General" means something different. So this should be part of the Company Administration or it should be possible to change it.

Please, please, please with icing on top? Coming from actual users of the product; what more is needed.

+1 The General channel just adds unnecessary channels to my already complex team project.

• Luke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's this kind of behavior (among other usability issues) that makes Microsoft's team collaboration seem much less flexible than it's competitors and therefore much less attractive. Just start the Team with no channels in it so users can make it what they want it to be.

If renaming or deleting the General channel is not possible atm, could we have the ability to add a description to the General channel?

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1. How hard can this be. I don't want a "General" channel just sitting there confusing people and collecting awkward posts.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with all the comments below. Have just started using Teams today and the fact that the General channel can not be hidden, renamed or deleted (i do get delete) is crazy!! Also, how has it taken Microsoft since March 2017 and still not made a decision? Come on Microsoft

Simply changing the visibility to "hidden" would also work. I suppose changing permissions on the created General library may accomplish that (have not tried it though).

• Jamie Schiesel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rename or remove "General" channel that is automatically created when a Team is created. I agree with below, each channel has a specific purpose so we never end up using the General channel

A new Teams user, I am baffled by why I can't rename "General." I don't need a "General" channel; I need each channel to have a specific purpose and need each channel to have a name appropriate to its purpose. Experience disconnect

Yes. Please let us delete/rename this channel. It just adds clutter to an app that was built to manage clutter.

• Simen Krogh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please let us rename the general channel. It messes up our structure and is the root cause for our inabillity to be organized.

Please allow the renaming of this channel. its frankly stupid - should we all move to #Slack?

• DN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please, it's an important feature when you are the Team owner, thx.

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please fix this. Allow the General channel to either be renamed or removed.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base