How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Rename General channel

Make it so we can change the name of the General Channel.

1,037 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tyler Seitz shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

173 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would really like to rename General channel to "Public announcements", as this is what some of Our teams shall only use the General-channel for.

• Chris Sikorski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes i would love this feature too. And some help on files that get locked and then can't be deleted because they has been locked by 'another user' but that user is yourself!

Cheers
        Chris

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree. I hate that I cannot edit\delete the general channel. We have specific channels for specific stuff. This will be junk drawer.

• Matthew Day commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely. It's such a pain not being able to rename it. We have on-prem IMAP that isn't migrated, and we're trying to get people using teams versus shared folders in IMAP. We
        added an email alias to ingest on-prem "staff"@ emails, but our staff then got confused because even though the Team is called STAFF, there are other directly named channels for "attendance@" - "london@" - etc... Why would you NOT allow it to be renamed? ? ?

• Zach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is essential as it currently hinders creative organization.

this should really be possible, you should be able to rename every item in your Team as administrator. So please make it possible to rename the general channel

It is worth noting that Slack let's you change the name of the General channel. Especially useful if you want to use it as an Announcements space by enabling posting only for Owners.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is one thing I would use right away, although it's not uber critical (i.e. I could live without it), if it's quick and easy to implement it would be nice to have. I have customer specific teams(i.e. guest specific) and I want those teams around certain types of conversations like 'planning'

• ira horden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

General only gets in the way, I have to explain that General isn't to a buncjh of people that can barely find the start button. Please Enable us with great products, don't disable us with poor choices

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base