How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Rename General channel

Make it so we can change the name of the General Channel.

1,906 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tyler Seitz shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As part of our commitment to being customer driven, we’d love your input on top features that will improve your satisfaction with teams and channels navigation, and help you be more productive in Teams.  Please access the survey here: https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=v4j5cvGGr0GRqy180BHbR7hW7rKdVrVInUSM809cvrtUNFhLRVNJVVhaUFI0WEJHVTA4MlpGWVZUSS4u

Thanks for your feedback!

320 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make the title editable, having so many "General" channels doesn't make any sense.... It's not like it's something difficult to change and it seems like many people are asking for it.

• Chelsea commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second the statements below, the General Channel is causing a ton of confusion as it is not used by our business. We need to be able to customize this if we cannot completely remove or hide it.

What was the expectation for this? Why would this not already be a feature? And lastly, I saw this question back in 2017 (Supported by several hundred comments) why is this a low priority?

• Rice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow editing / deleting of the "General" channel. It's ridiculous to create this by default and not allow admins to change / remove it.

Please allow flexibility with the general channel. Allow us to rename or to delete it as it's causing confusion especially to new adaptors to O 365... thank you!!!!!

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ridiculous you can't change this and even more ridiculous that this is here from 2017.

WAKE UP AND LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE THAT PAY YOU MS.

• Edgar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make it so we can change the name of the General channel or delete it. This extra unwanted channel creates confusion for team members and isn't useful.

• Barbara Terry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely need to be able to change it. Having several teams and all having a General Channel seems to create confusion. We don't use the General Channel for that reason. If you are working with Team A you should be able to reference Team A and not General.

Please reconfigure the Teams software so users can rename the General channel. This unfortunate programming choice is not as benign as you might think; it actually creates misleading/meaningless context for end users on alerts, etc. As a best practice in our workgroup, we simply do not use this channel, but then we can't move it out of the way either!! Grrrrrr!

• Raquel Collett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely you must do this. When adding the link to files in quick access in windows explorer ALL TEAMS Say General, this is crazy. We dont use General now, we create a new channel with the appropriate name then use that link, Using quick access in windows explorer gives quick access to all doc libraries easily. When you have 40 teams that all say General its useless.

I refuse to use the Teams section until you let us remove/rename the general channel. I am more likely to rename/pin a 100 group chats before I deal with the eyesore of the general sub channel.

• Lisa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's absolutely critical to be able to re-name the "General" channel. Ambiguity is the route of all IT evil. Also, whilst its great that you can add new tabs to channels to include other Sharepoint Libraries, it's impossible to place those libraries under the Files tab. Creating a new folder in files, simply adds another folder to the "General" folder under the primary document library. This encourages poor library and folder structure as Teams Generate folder after folder to ensure that each channel shows the correct files; leading to exceeding library list limits and resulting in poor performance. At least allow for the deletion of the Files Tab from a Channel.

• Margie McMorran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow the general channel to be renamed. When you have a lot of channels notifications look weird. eg. Emma mentioned in General, but I have 20+ general channels so it would be more helpful if I saw Emma mentioned in Auckland General

← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.