How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Copy paste markdown text should do proper formatting

Although markdown works as you type things in by hand, it should also format text that is pasted into Teams.

We often have markdown docs or other existing assets that we're discussing, and being able to copy-paste markdown into Teams would help make that process a lot easier than retyping everything by hand!

46 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Rockford Lhotka shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Abdullah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we need to support the copy and paste of formatting
    - from wiki to wiki
    - from word to wiki

• Kris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with all the posts below, brought up short by this today. I use vscode for markdown and had existing documents that I needed to incorporate into a teams wiki in a different department.

• Marc G. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 I prefer to write my markdown ahead of time (either in VS Code or OneNote) and then paste in however that feature doesn't work as of today. Would love the ability to disable auto-formatting of markdown to rich text in the editor and only convert markdown once submitted. Allowing me to either edit markdown directly in the textarea in Teams OR write it up in any other tool (such as VS Code) and then paste in.

• Nicholas Marus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a huge roadbload for my team to switch to this for the same reasons mentioned above. Markdown is "good enough" today, but the lack of copy/paste of existing markdown and the lack of full markdown support syntax is a big problem for us.

Feedback and Knowledge Base