How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Drag and Drop Folder

Drag and Drop Folder: currently (2017-04-10) when dragging and dropping a folder from my harddrive to a team Files location the files are copied, but the folder is not. Have to first create the folder on Teams, then copy the files into the folder. Would prefer to drag and drop the fold and Teams will automatically create the folder and copy the files within it to that folder.

138 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Brandon Schwarz shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Erik Hope commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are there any updates on this? Since creating a new Team based on a template does not also copy files, it would be nice to have a drag and drop capabilities for folders to make the process a bit more streamlined.

• Tomi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When drag&dropping folder, files under folder gets copied but folder or folder structure not. This is different from rest of MS products and confuses end users a lot. I hope either fully removing folder drag&drop or enabling folder structure copy also.

• Hannah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on how to move a folder from Teams to the hard drive/USB? I provide a lot of consultation for different school teams. Once I create documents, I need to transfer them to these teams. This feature would be very helpful and beneficial.

• Paul Mc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A basic capability that is needed - hopefully Microsoft will provide it soon

• Lilly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition to what's been suggested. Could you consider drag/drop from Teams to computer/USB drives. We have a marketing training team who needs to be able to drag completed PDF's within Teams to USB drives for their customers as well as to external printers (too long to explain but quite a unique case). PLEASE PLEASE consider drag/drop soon.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Needs to keep the entire folder/file structure. Chance for error(s) when you have nested folders and need to move a main folder structure. As a workaround we synced the main folder to the computer so we could then drag and drop the folder structure. Not ideal.

Thankfully I only dragged one folder over from an entire training content directory I was copying to teams. I thought did something wrong when the file didn't come over. It just makes sense to bring the folder structure

• Ben Wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just a work around that I did on this - I open "Files" for that Channel in SharePoint (option in "Files" tab), drag and drop those folders from local disk, etc., in the Channel (SharePoint Document folder) I want them. I can go back to the Team Channel (refresh) and the folders and files are there.

Not ideal but it works for now

• Karol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It will work much better if you could improve/add uploading Folder ability to Files/OneDrive similiar as avaiable on Browser.

• Stefan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

More over, when you drag a folder structure, all files get copied flat into the current channel folder. To get this working properly, you have to used Sharepoint and drop the folder structure there. Teams is useless for such file imports. You'll loose any structure.

Yes, this is a BIG problem. Especially if you want to move a folder containing other folders. this task gets VERY time consuming.

• Nirmit Monga commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are currently piloting teams with a select department and this topic was brought up as a nice-to-have. The current work around is to manually create a folder structure and drop the files in it which is time consuming for the user. The folder structure is required since they are uploading content that depends on a hierarchical location for a particular file i.e. root/images.

Feedback and Knowledge Base