How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Stuck in a login loop after password change

I recently change my system password, with MS Teams is already up and running in the background. I open Teams to check new messages, and it locks the app with the pop up "Can you please sign in again? Sorry for any inconvenience. Login Now"

I click Login Now but all it does is restarting MS Teams and show me the same message. I am unable to re-authenticate. I've tried restarting the application, that didn't work.

I had to right click on the systray icon to logout and re-login. I should be able to re-login when the app prompted "Login Now"

189 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Karis Ng shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

93 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I opened the Windows Credentials Manager , and deleted all the lines that read
        "msteams_adalsso/adal_context_x" (x=number). This resolved it for me

I was able to resolve this on Mac by:

1. Close Microsoft Teams
        2. Open up Keychain Access (Applications > Utilities)
        3. Search "Teams"
        4. Delete the two items related to Microsoft Teams
        5. Open Microsoft Teams
        6. Login again

• Jaime Araya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just ran into this one and what was suggested by "Anonymous" on 2/21/19 worked for me.

Open Teams
        - Right Click on "Teams" in the task bar
        - Select Sign Out
        - Wait roughly 1-2 Min
        - Close out of Teams
        - Re-open and sign in using your new password

Hey All,

Just ran into this issue as well. I was able to sign back in using the following steps.

Open Teams
        - Right Click on "Teams" in the task bar
        - Select Sign Out
        - Wait roughly 1-2 Min
        - Close out of Teams
        - Re-open and sign in using your new password

• D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Best solution, dont close that sign in prompt before and after you do this

JC commented · December 19, 2018 03:16 · Flag as inappropriate
        right-click sys tray app
        sign out
        WAIT!!!
        launch and be prompted

• D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow I just got this problem, they dont even know how to fix this??!

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Killing all instances and deleting all msteams references (20+) in my credential manager solved the issue but this still being problem in 2019 when both Outlook and Skype handle this situation perfectly is pretty embarrassing

• JC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

right-click sys tray app
        sign out
        WAIT!!!
        launch and be prompted

• Colin Cogle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously. They want to replace the stable Skype for Business with this? I want to love Teams, but it and Planner haven't gotten a feature update since I started using it. Ditch the Electron garbage and make Teams a native UWP app and maybe things may improve.

• Rob McLachlan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For Windows users try this once you are stuck on the Sign In prompt:

- Find the Teams icon on the right side of the taskbar (click the ^ icon)
        - Right click Teams and select Sign Out
        - WAIT! Teams should now quit (eventually).
        - If Teams does not quit itself, go to Task Manager (Ctrl-Shift-Esc) and select End Task on Teams
        - Restart Teams
        - You should now be presented with the MS account Sign In page where you can enter your email address and new password.

This worked for me without deleting credentials etc. I also re-signed in on the web based teams.microsoft.com while trying this, so this may be a necessary step.

• michael m commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

pathetic - i have no log out option, have tried the things listed below, none worked. I don't get the login screen, just a blank purple screen, then it gives me a link and suggest i use it to logout and back in - but clicking on that just repeats the cycle! such low quality work

my company forces password reset every 60 days, so once i figure this out, will have to do this again soon.

• Sherman Woo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For macOS users: if you are stuck in a loop for whatever reason (mine was because I tried to use a different tenant, and for some other reason it failed), let Teams load up and wait for the "sign in failed" screen. Right-click the Teams icon on the Dock and select Logout. Next launch, you'll be prompted to sign in again.

• Ramesh Hemlock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1. Right side Taskbar -> Click show hidden icons.
        2. You will see Teams icon and right click Teams -> Logout and then try to login.

• Kathleen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

More MS fun! How about you guys fix this? Here is how I fixed it. If you have Teams running in more than one place, you get into that loop. Log out of everywhere you have Teams running and you will be prompted to enter your new password.

Changed my Windows 10 domain password this morning, now I'm trapped in this very same loop. Pretty ridiculous design flaw.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base