How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Non Persistent VDI

Support for Non-Persistent VDI. Currently Teams desktop App installs in the user App folder this means it can't be placed on the base image of non persistent VDI environments.

Are there any plans to provide an alternative install for VDI. Currently we are installing Teams at login for VDI users as a work around.

431 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Edwin Lloyd-Jones shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

77 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • M.Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

VDI install is not in a good enough state. This just adds an installer to Program Files. Application still installs into users local profile. For Non Persistent VDIs it would be better to install the program in a machine context, not profile (Program Files or similar).
    Any update @Warren?

• Kevin Wheeler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this topic? I'm wondering using any of the VHD redirection techs like FSLogics or Ivanti EM will work.

• Koen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is now implemented:
    - Download the latest teams msi
    - msiexec /i Teams_windows_x64.msi /l*v %temp%\teamsinstall.log ALLUSER=1
    - run C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Teams\current\Teams.exe

This only works on a machine that is evaluated as VDI by the installer, a normal desktop the installer errors notifying you the machine is not a VDI.

We are currently setting up a test track. This is a solution to our issues.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Warren, can you give us a status update because it's been over a year now and we are still waiting for a solution. Thanks

• JAL Stap commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please implement this feature soon, we need it in our corporate environment.

Definitely hoping to have a solution for Teams in RDS environment. Hope it will be available soon.

• Sean Saunders commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any update as to a VDI implmementation of Teams yet? This is killing users who are on VDI and are being disadvantaged by having to web client all the time. Poor effort for no update in nearly 7 months for what was dubbed as "a Skype and Slack killer"

Come on, help us sysadmins out will you?

7 months later, this feature has not been implemented yet.
    Teams's desktop client is a nightware in RDS/Citrix environment. I had to run a script that uninstalls any user-installed version on all my 2012R2 Servers. (used for RDS/Citrix XenApp)

Can you let me know when we'll be able to have a version that doesn't take between 600Mb & 2000Mb per user of disk space and that eventually fails to open, ultimately monopolizing the server's CPU and RAM... ?

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base