How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Non Persistent VDI

Support for Non-Persistent VDI. Currently Teams desktop App installs in the user App folder this means it can't be placed on the base image of non persistent VDI environments.

Are there any plans to provide an alternative install for VDI. Currently we are installing Teams at login for VDI users as a work around.

206 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Edwin Lloyd-Jones shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

26 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Koen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As Microsoft announced a more forced migration strategy (https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4465277/microsoft-teams-now-the-primary-client-for-meetings-and-calling) from Skype to Teams this providing a capable client becomes more urgent.
        Is there any info about this feature so it can be added to our risk analysis?
        Right now we are unable to move away from Skype due to client unavailability and Microsoft is threatening to take away Skype.

• Doug Demick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's great to hear! We really need this in our company, we're moving more and more to VDI.

Great news. If there is a kind of "Teams insider" program I would like to join.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If MS Teams is to replace Skype for Business, then this is an essential requirement. Currently our Citrix users can only use Teams via the browser, and we've had complaints about not being able to use the desktop app. A lot of the user base are simply not using MS Teams at all because they're not happy with the experience.

• Limson Louise commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have virtulised(APPV) Teams package in VDI environment. It is working like a charm except the vedio calling

• Michael A Kolba Jr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anyone notice an issue with teams MSI installer in VDI where the right click context menu for the system tray icon doesn't show the menu/fonts? it's blank?

• Jeroen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm repeating my comment from the other "installer" uservoice which has been incorrectly marked as completed. The issue goes much farther then just a solution for VDI bu also involves secuirty issues. (https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/17380159-improve-install-options-install-for-all-users-an)

An Enterprise Ready installer with installation in the program files folder is required. We will NOT allow any processes running from within the user profile (Applocker block!) even if this means Teams can not be used.

• Steven Ricks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have this working on our horizon view vdi non persistent desktops. I installed it with GPO to all users and use User Environment manager to save the settings of the users.
        The shortcut on their desktop points to the appdata\local.... path.
        The problem I am having is that it wont start with windows when the user logs on. So people are not using it. trying to get people to adopt teams is proving difficult.

• Patrick Lubbers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our Educational enviroment really wants to deploy Teams, but the lack of VDI support is witholding us from deployment :(

Recent updates on the installer have made an MSI install available. However this version still installs in je user app folder. This uservoice is still valid and unresolved.

Thank you for putting this on your backlog. In fact we have an internal discussion on how to deal with teams today. This is useful information.

• Jay Nelson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are a bunch of issues that arise due to this practice of the application being installed into AppData/local. Roaming Profiles are a non-starter. UEV doesnt help here either. For me the important ones are security as %appdata% is a haven for ransomware and other malware attacks. A big deal IMO, since even a standard user that is supposed to be locked down from installing software can still run executables from this location causing an infection to the users content and any place they have access to, even network paths. So like others I've implemented SRP and/or AppLocker. But the way they are handling software like OneDrive and Teams conflicts with this.

• Frank Fabri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We also need a version of Teams that can be installed in XenDesktop with Group Policy support

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base