How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Sync notification badge count across platforms

The unread notifications count needs to be synced across platforms. For example, right now if I read my Teams messages on my Mac, my iOS app will still have a red badge on the app icon indicating I have unread messages. This leads to be constantly opening my iOS app thinking I have missed something, only to see it's messages from hours earlier that I already read on another device.

66 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Matt Rogers shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same problem between my Android phone and multiple PC devices. When I read something on one, it remains unread on the others. This is more than just an annoyance. I now routinely ignore the badge count, because I assume it's something I already read. I'm likely to miss legitimately new messages.

• Aaron Bollinger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have noticed the same thing. It would be nice if the badge would clear itself once the message is read from another device.

• Blaž Dakskobler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Chris Webb - Nope, Facebook, LinkedIn etc apps clear the badge count (notifications) on the iPhone app icon, when I check the notifications via PC.

Teams iOS app, on the other hand, doesn’t. I need to actually open the app to force the sync.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is driving me crazy. Also, the badge in the footer flashes, even if I have read the message. The most annoying part is that I get notifications on my mobile phone even if I have the PC app open

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have noticed the same and it bugs me - I'm using Teams primarily on my laptop but then I'm mobile with my phone, think there are updates, but once I open the app it syncs and the notifications go away.

There should definitely be some kind of background sync which keeps the badge updated.

In regards to this being an iOS limitation - I don't believe so, I know that other apps only shows badges for "unread" notifications and if I read them on a different device the badge eventually updates.

• Chris Webb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is an iOS limitation. Pretty sure Facebook and other apps do the same thing.

Feedback and Knowledge Base