How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

I want to edit my display name or give myself a nickname

When I @mention a team member it displays them as Last Name, First name which really interrupts the conversational flow. Slack lets me edit my display name.

240 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Michael Dain shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

42 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Suresh Krishnasamy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My students cant even use their names in the discussions...they are all being referred to as numbers as its tied to their matric number... Its been 2 years, any chance of an update or something about the possibility of this being done?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree, especially for guest accounts. Using their email address name is not helpful at all as that is sometimes obscure. It would be very useful to be able to edit these names to more meaningful ones.

• Camilo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the most necessary feature in Teams! It makes it hard to use natural language in conversation, which is what Teams is supposed to do.
    Competitive software (e.g. Slack) let me do this already.

This is a necessary feature. It is ridiculous people don't have the ability to use preferred name as their display name.

• Ian Caldwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need a nickname feature in Teams - with the admin option to enable or disable. For example, our office locations include Thailand, where everyone uses nicknames as their work names - but not as their first name or last name.

• Tariq commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft Teams showing incorrect user display name, and we cannot even change it. Does any one know who to change the user display name.

• andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I strongly agree. I want to edit my display name or give myself a nickname for others to @mention me

Please make this change in MSTeams, no user should have to use their name taken from their email address at standard.

• Cindy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please! I know you can currently delete the last name, but it's a hassle to keep doing it that way. Would very much prefer the first name or nickname route to keep the conversation human. :) Thanks.

• Vincent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Me and one of my coworkers have the same names and we keep receiving each other's messages.

Before my office switched to Team we used Slack.
    In Slack we just changed our nicknames so people would no longer mix up our names.

Now, once again, we keep receiving each other's messages.

• Johann Viehboeck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are reasons for display name conventions other than first name + last name. Teams should either enable a social collaboration nickname or at least take the first name user attribute into account, when shortening a mention.

• Bob Luursema commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am very much in favor! My organization uses "Lastname, Initials. (Given name)". Nicknames would be much better.

• Wil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 on this. At my organization, they add in our parent co. AND business unit acronyms in our display name which ends up with a terribly unsightly @mention...if you have two last names and a middle name...forget about it..

"Last [2nd last], First [Middle] [UHQ] [BIZ]"

This needs to be editable asap

• Don Parker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make this an editable field, we work with dispatchers and adding our technician number would help them.

• User99 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just set up our MS Teams and the first thing I noticed was how annoying the LastName, FirstName is, so I went searching to find a way to update display name. I am shocked to see there isn't an alternative. It is fine and easy to remove the last name from tagging, but users need to update their profile name for their own posts too. This is especially important in our workplace where people have American nick names.

Please and thank you.

• Jude commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At our company, many users go by a name that isn’t their first or last legal name. We need a way to pull preferred name instead of their legal name.

• Gary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Everyone and MS Teams Product Owner,
    I believe this has been completed. The Teams app that I have implemented this like the Following:

@ Mention the person as usual and hit enter. If you'd like to remove the last/surname name, simply hit backspace to remove it. It keeps the connection to the user that you @ mentioned.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.