How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

I want to edit my display name or give myself a nickname

When I @mention a team member it displays them as Last Name, First name which really interrupts the conversational flow. Slack lets me edit my display name.

163 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Michael Dain shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

36 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I strongly agree. I want to edit my display name or give myself a nickname for others to @mention me

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make this change in MSTeams, no user should have to use their name taken from their email address at standard.

• Cindy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please! I know you can currently delete the last name, but it's a hassle to keep doing it that way. Would very much prefer the first name or nickname route to keep the conversation human. :) Thanks.

• Vincent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Me and one of my coworkers have the same names and we keep receiving each other's messages.

Before my office switched to Team we used Slack.
        In Slack we just changed our nicknames so people would no longer mix up our names.

Now, once again, we keep receiving each other's messages.

• Johann Viehboeck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are reasons for display name conventions other than first name + last name. Teams should either enable a social collaboration nickname or at least take the first name user attribute into account, when shortening a mention.

• Bob Luursema commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am very much in favor! My organization uses "Lastname, Initials. (Given name)". Nicknames would be much better.

• Wil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 on this. At my organization, they add in our parent co. AND business unit acronyms in our display name which ends up with a terribly unsightly @mention...if you have two last names and a middle name...forget about it..

"Last [2nd last], First [Middle] [UHQ] [BIZ]"

This needs to be editable asap

• Don Parker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make this an editable field, we work with dispatchers and adding our technician number would help them.

• User99 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just set up our MS Teams and the first thing I noticed was how annoying the LastName, FirstName is, so I went searching to find a way to update display name. I am shocked to see there isn't an alternative. It is fine and easy to remove the last name from tagging, but users need to update their profile name for their own posts too. This is especially important in our workplace where people have American nick names.

Please and thank you.

• Jude commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At our company, many users go by a name that isn’t their first or last legal name. We need a way to pull preferred name instead of their legal name.

• Gary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Everyone and MS Teams Product Owner,
        I believe this has been completed. The Teams app that I have implemented this like the Following:

@ Mention the person as usual and hit enter. If you'd like to remove the last/surname name, simply hit backspace to remove it. It keeps the connection to the user that you @ mentioned.

• Mikael Lundin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It should be a setting in Teams what happens when you push backspace after a mention. If you are using "Lastname, Firstname" as displayname it should remove "Lastname" instead of "Firstname" when you push backspace. If you push backspace it means that you want to be less formal and then it always should be "Firstname" left after the @-sign...

• Tenagne HM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My organization sets the display name as last, first, business unit, and it is very long and makes my messages unreadable when I mention someone.

We are trying to use Teams at my facility and it is annoying to get email that says "Hi Whitaker". I am assuming this is from our name format being last name, first name. Having a way to have a display name would be awesome and it would help with the adoption of Teams. "Hi Diane" is much more pleasing.

Please. I just need change my name. I didnt want my name is my email. Its killing me!

This REALLY needs to happen. Utilizing the default naming convention don't always work. There needs to be a setting under our profile to input an alias and opt-in to use it as the display name.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base