How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Unread Team & Channel filter

When there are a lot of Teams and Channels it is hard to see them all on one page (even when Channels are 'collapsed'). Having a quick-to-select "Show Unread Teams & respective Channels" filter would make focussing on unread items much quicker and easier

119 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Amit Wason shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Timmothy Frink commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Might be workable if you could change your default filter in the Activity feed. I can go in and select "Unread", but as soon as i go to a different tab, that filter gets turned off and i have to reset it again.

• Asaf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Important one.
        I keep missing unread messages because bold channels are hidden if you have several channels under a team.
        Force us to do mouse clicks for reveal these messages results with frustration.
        Unread messages view must be added + short key.

Please kindly update on this.

• Van Ly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Slack does this well by combining navigation shortcut (Ctrl-K) with unread filter. They show the unread channels in the list before you typing anything, so that I can quickly jump to them.

• Aidan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be extremely useful.

There is an "unread" filter in the activity feed, but it's buggy. It will frequently include items that I read a day or two ago. And when I read one reply to a conversation, that will disappear from the feed, to be replaced with another reply (earlier or later in the conversation) which I've already read.

• Micah Tan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with the other commenters here: after a critical point (for me, at least one team below the break) I can't visually scan unreads.

Even *if* I could scan for unread channels, I would have to click on every. single. one.

Having a single Unread "channel" would allow me catch up on all the teams I am a part of.

The current behavior encourages the overuse of at-mentions and discourages membership in lots of teams

• Jason Darst commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is a critical feature to implement. We have started using teams and I'm getting a bunch of new teams and channels. While there are a few where I want to know right away if something new is there and I use favorites and notifications, there are several where I want to just go and look when I have down moments. And I do not want to have to expand and collapse every team looking for bold channels. The ability to do a quick unread filter that shows just the teams and channels with new messages, auto expanded, and hides everything else would be a large productivity gain for me.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a way to show all unread? (All messages and not only those that i follow and get notification from)

• Christina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"All Unreads" is the first thing I go to in Slack every morning so I can quickly get caught up with all new activity. Currently, I have to do an awful lot of clicking in Teams to accomplish the same task.

• Bryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is crucial to user adoption after one has more than just a few teams.

• Steve Minar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We think this needs significant attention. I haven't thought of a catchy title that might generate more upvotes, but it's a significant problem for us and user adoption.

We have embraced Teams thoroughly. We create a new Team for every new project / initiative that gets to a certain stage in our work process. We have a growing number of Teams, which leads to a very long list in the Teams interface.

Currently, it's very difficult for our users to find and act upon new information across all the Teams they are participating in. The bold font used to indicate fresh information is helpful, but is often "below the fold" and inside of collapsed Teams and "More..." lists. This frustrates our team members as they frequently miss items requiring their attention.

I really like the idea of providing filtering capability, with built in examples for "Unread" and "Bookmarked/Saved". Let users create filters and save them for easy reuse.

• Gary Ericson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yammer does something similar on its Home page. I work in a team with a lot of channels. It would be a big productivity boost if I could open Team periodically and see all the activity that's happened since I last looked, across all channels - without having to click and scroll through a large number of channels.

So I'd like to see a list of all unread posts across all channels, sorted by time. Better yet, I'd prefer to only see starred channels.

• Oded Sitton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree - having an "All Unreads" view is highly important. Also the ability to mark a thread/post as 'unread' which will make the related channel bold again will help users who scan recent posts but would like to re-check them at later phase.

• Steve Bumba commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree - I think you should get this when you 'follow' a channel and you should be able to follow channels that aren't 'favorites'

• Jim Lim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have many teams and channels, and most of us have come accustomed to the Slack "All Unreads" feature.

Team's "Activity" Feed is similar but it lacks an Unread filter and Mark All Read button. We really need something like this to quickly view all unread messages. Each unread message should be automatically expanded too, more than what the snippets currently show.

This would improve productivity greatly in an organisation where instant messaging is now our most common form of communication.

Feedback and Knowledge Base