How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Renaming a Microsoft Team

Currently when you rename a Microsoft Team it changes the display name to the new team name however on the backend in Exchange the old email address and alias remain, and a new email address with the new team name does not get created. When a Microsoft Team gets renamed it would be nice if a new email address and alias get assigned, and the old email address get shifted to a secondary alias.

200 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chad Olson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently having this problem as well. Pretty silly this isn't addressed...

Created a Team for purpose A. Decided to expand the scope of Team to purpose B. Renamed Team from A to B. NAME changed, but the underlying email address didn't.

The email address for the team NEEDS to update along with the name. Suggest making the old email address a secondary alias, so anyone used to sending to the old one won't get cut off.

i think you would have to have name changes approved by an admin so then sharepoint renames happen as part of the process.

• Nilesh Mehta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are working on the governance related to Microsoft Teams. Just like SharePoint, there are concerns here:

1. What if an owner changes the name of a Team but does not share with the rest of the members? Wouldn't they be confused on where their team when until the next conversation occurs?
    2. What happens to the @team messages? Do end users use the new name or the old team name?
    3. In larger organizations, they may setup automated processes to provision team that allows them to track what is being created and for what purposes. This also allows them to track usage for active / inactive components. If a teams owner, changes the name, IT would also have issues identifying the team and the site owner.
    4. Changing a team name, will it change the title of the corresponding group or SharePoint site?

• Ray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about propagating the name changes to the back-end Sharepoint components (URL, Avatar abbreviation, etc.)?

• EVC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Running a Powershell script is not an answer for this issue. This needs to be fixed, not justified as the "Admin's problem".

• mk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It needs to be done by Teams Owner. Not ideal to bug those tenant admins to use the cmdlet for this kind of change..

• Noah Souza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Jeff I couldn't agree more that hand correcting this by an admin with PowerShell a Team owner is almost always going to be the one doing the renaming is an awful answer. This also ignores the obvious additional requirement of changing the SharePoint site collection URL.

• Jeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Errr... I think the idea is for a Team owner to be able to manage these elements. "We have this" is a brush-it-under-the-carpet response.

• Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that you should be able to change the name and have the option to change the email and Sharepoint URL, or decide to just change the display name. For instance, we create our groups with the prefix "Group", and might do some abbreviation. So HR would have a group called "Group-HRdept". However, we change the display name to "HR Department". This scenario would not want the sharepoint site or email changed. The other scenario is when a team function shifts from the original name. In this case all pieces of the group would need to change. We are in this scenario now and it is a major pain, especially because we can't move/copy channels to other teams.... Please vote for that feature here: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/16939708-move-channels-into-other-teams

I would also say that you should be able to change Team Name without changing the group display name.

We restrict O365 group creation to prevent group sprawl, duplication with on-prem DL, similar groups and naming convention (I know such policies now exist). The O365 Groups are re-used for several apps and access. Renaming Team will rename the group display name (and possibly break sharepoint url's).

This self service approach to groups and services is more of chaos for us.

• Mark Bower commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is something that is considered basic. It's very confusing to get a meeting invitation with the "name" and then look at the associated email address that has a completely different name (and typically different function). Sharepoint site should also be similarly renamed. Not sure why there is such a disconnect.

• Mary Ostrem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently I cannot change my Team Names. This is a huge problem as I am a teacher and have new classes each semester. You have a bug in your system because this used to work. I have a screen capture so if you could email me, I could show you the problem.

• Lilly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates on this request? This is a big deal for us, especially for fast paced teams that continually change in focus. Please let us know if this is being considered at all and or timeline?

• SimonS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its expected to "just work" (as the Renames on the surface works) and then you find later that there are problems, exchange group email address etc.

Given that we can't move channels between Teams, there is no recovery here, than to tear the whole house down and start from scratch.

• Gianpaolo Valero commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's a bigger problem with this feature. Your SharePoint access gets lost. The first time I noticed it our team freaked out because it seems our files were completely lost. Then we realize that the sharepoint was still there (and so was the file). The problem was the links updated to the change name but the actual sharepoint didn't.

• Darin Hawley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is critically important for agile and effective collaboration. A team's identity and purpose evolve over time, diverge into multiple teams, converge with other teams. A platform that doesn't support this naturally and intuitively is just getting in the way.

Feedback and Knowledge Base