How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Editing a comment - cannot hit ENTER to skip to the next line.

When writing a new comment, I am able to use ENTER to skip to the next line. However, when I edit the same comment, I cannot use ENTER to skip to the next line. Please fix.

128 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

36 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Sasami commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hit TAB and Enter to expand the compose box, then you can hit ENTER without sending!!

• Luke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Note that if you are in the 'Format' mode (little 'A' and paintbrush icon), then simply hitting ENTER will NOT deliver comment but will add a linebreak.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with everyone else. CR should NOT send messages. It is super annoying and messages get send before they are finished.

• Jeff Schwisow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree 100% with the comments below that having ENTER instantly send your message is a poor design decision; particularly given that there is a SEND button (the paper airplane icon) below that looks ideal to fill the role. It is somewhat ironic that hitting the ENTER key in this forum adds a return and doesn't post the comment...

Just to re-iterate what a couple of folks have said below...SHIFT + ENTER does add a return (skips to the next line) to a message.

Additionally, (and this is pretty cleverly hidden from view) using the keyboard shortcut SHIFT + CONTROL + X opens what they refer to as the expanded compose box. This box not only uses the convention that ENTER creates a return but also has a host of message formatting tools (e.g., font formatting, bullets/numbering, hyperlinks, code snippets).

In short, messaging functionality appears to be pretty extensive but the UI design decision-making is pretty poor.

• Andy Sims commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with everyone.
    Chat is a multiline option.
    "Enter" on its own should NEVER NEVER EVER commit the text, this is different to every other app I use.
    Teams should be a seamless product not something I have to relearn.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please use the same format you do other places (yammer, outlook) … Ctrl+Enter will submit/send/etc. ENTER should skip to the next line.

• Anon2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree this needs to be fixed. People start responding to the line of text I posted, before I finish composing the text. That's terrible.

SHIFT + ENTER = LINE BREAK

or: click the formatting "A" and just ENTER will work.

I like having the quick post option... now that I know how to insert a line break when I need to lol.

Really stupid design decision. In a 1:1 chat I can image to do enter=commit, but in teams when replying to a conversation it is terrible. I think many people use substance instead of replying "Yes.I agree..".
    Why not make this configurable...
    It is so annoying that a post is committed when pressing enter, then selecting ... to edit the message again.
    Please make it do what this text box of your forum does...

• Praveen S. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes it's very annoying, but try using <Shift-Enter> to drop down to the next line with in the compose box. Requires breaking out of that habit of just hitting CR <Enter>. Then you can either hit regular <Enter> or the paper airplane icon to send the msg.

• Beth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 This needs to be improved. Pressing Enter should create a paragraph return, not post the message.

+1. Enter should just create a new line, not send the message. I have sent half typed messages because I hit enter to go to the next line and instead the message was sent. Remembering to open the editor doesn't always work for me.

The easiest way is to use the format button (bottom left). It's an "A" with a paintbrush next to it.

• Rolly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Did Microsoft buy this from someone else and put their name on it?
    That would account for this 'mistake'.

• Brendan Murphy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you are entering a basic message/comment, then Shift+Enter will create a new line. If you open the Format toolbar, then Enter will create a new line.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.