How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Editing a comment - cannot hit ENTER to skip to the next line.

When writing a new comment, I am able to use ENTER to skip to the next line. However, when I edit the same comment, I cannot use ENTER to skip to the next line. Please fix.

87 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

23 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Praveen S. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes it's very annoying, but try using <Shift-Enter> to drop down to the next line with in the compose box. Requires breaking out of that habit of just hitting CR <Enter>. Then you can either hit regular <Enter> or the paper airplane icon to send the msg.

• Beth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 This needs to be improved. Pressing Enter should create a paragraph return, not post the message.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1. Enter should just create a new line, not send the message. I have sent half typed messages because I hit enter to go to the next line and instead the message was sent. Remembering to open the editor doesn't always work for me.

The easiest way is to use the format button (bottom left). It's an "A" with a paintbrush next to it.

• Rolly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Did Microsoft buy this from someone else and put their name on it?
        That would account for this 'mistake'.

• Brendan Murphy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you are entering a basic message/comment, then Shift+Enter will create a new line. If you open the Format toolbar, then Enter will create a new line.

• Jase commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the others - this is a poor UI decision. When using Teams to send a message, Enter should simply cause a line break - as it does in every other MS application. (And, as it does on this very forum).
        When the user wants to send, they should hit Ctrl+Enter, or use the mouse (just like in Outlook).

• Muhammad Zakarya Khan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I want to skip a line while commenting on a post in facebook and I press the enter key,then the comment is posted rather than skipping a line.Please help

• Curtis Johnstone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 with the other comments. Teams really needs to change this behavior, or allow the user to customize it so that ENTER goes to the next line instead of submitting the chat.

This is ridiculous coming from a major corporation such as Microsoft who build their business on the concept of user intuitive interface.

• Miroslav Sevcik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Usually, this is done as enter breaks the line and ctrl+enter submits.

How hard it is? I know it is hard for MS as Skype for business can not do this up to this date...

Though I found that the solution from Jerry Jackson is usable. It is not perfect for some quick typing but is OK to work with for the time beeing.

Thank you Jerry you saved me with this advice :) Some of my posts were looking really weird with no line breaks :-D

• Jerry Jackson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has never been an issue for me, click the "Expand Compose Box" button to allow use of Enter as carriage return.

• Joe e commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has this been solved yet? - I have to use Shift+Enter for carriage return as Enter does a submit even on a new entry...Is there a setting for this?

• Al Linke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some of my users have complained about this one. We have a string of conversations that are one sentences at a time because people want to have a carriage return. I'll suggest to them shift-enter for now but would be nice if this was perhaps a user configurable setting.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base