How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

MacOS shortcuts and keyboard interactions

Please make MacOS default interactions (keyboard shortcuts/nav, menus, prefs, notifications). Other Office 365 apps are more native than this.

--

Request that text navigation shortcuts follow the system standard:
cmd+left arrow – jumps cursor to beginning of text
cmd+right arrow – jumps cursor to end of text
option + left arrow – jumps cursor left one word
option + right arrow – jumps cursor right one word

---

One of the issues with this is that the native notifications from other apps cover up the Team ones when both are active. If it was a native app, these notifications would stack.

---

Recent builds have Option-A on mac hardcoded as keyboard shortcut for attachment.

It’s a problem that this keyboard shortcut cannot be changed or disabled. Option-A is used globally by some Apple standard keyboard layouts, and the Teams shortcut overrides this within the Teams app.

Specifically Apple Dvorak layout uses Option-A as shortcut to access a national character, and the Teams shortcut prevents typing this national char when writing messages is Teams.

---

When I click Chat and then Option-N (alt), I get ñ instead of a new chat. So I have to click somewhere else and then use the keyboard shortcut which defeats the purpose of a keyboard shortcut!

Please change the Mac shortcuts to use Command like any other Mac app.

---

255 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Kevin Vaughan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  Warren responded  · 

The revamp of shortcut keys has released to the public ring! It took a while but we finally have it ready for you all to use.

Thank you all for the feedback. :)
-Warren

37 comments

Comments are closed
  • Lukasz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So here is my result - I am using Polish Programmer keyboard setup. I have mapped "option" key to "command" and "command" to "option" in OS settings. After recent change I have no problem with shortcuts in teams when I use internal keyboard of my Macbook Pro, however the problem persists on external Apple Wireless Magic Keyboard - settings for me are the same for both keyboards and I have no clue why this is different for you.

Can you maybe make shortcuts configurable by user?

• Patryk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow manage shortcuts by users.
    Add option allow change shortcuts or turn off some of these.
    For example, I want write Polish special characters like ą,ę... but when I typing Left Alt + a in conversation window, open paperclip tab or when I type Left Alt + e cursor has been set in search box.

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using the Option key for standard functions is totally unacceptable. In slack I can switch workspaces and quickly switch channels with CMD + K. CMD is way easier to hit on a mac keyboard and should generally be used for the heaviest used keybindings. This is handsdown the biggest turn off from slack and with this simple change could make the application bearable to use.

• Cory Nadilo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This!
    With the new entry field this is more frustrating. If a field is selected I cannot use the keyboard shortcuts. It just enters text into the field. For example. Option + N (New Chat), I just get ˜.
    Also why are these Option and not Command?

• Julian Engels commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On German keyboard Option+5 or ALT+5 is "[", so if I want to use markdown [word-to-appear](long URL with tons of stuff) I end up on Tab "Open Files". This is super annoying! Please Microsoft fix this ASAP!

• Mika commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't make @ symbol (OSX, Finnish keyboard Alt + 2). Every time I want to tag a person, I need to copy + paste @ symbol from somewhere else.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Option-e for é is another one, but the inability to type (left) opt-2 to write @ is the one driving me nuts.

• Blaine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for native notifications! It's great to see that you're working on this one but since this is such a broad idea I'm afraid that notifications won't get the love it needs. I often miss notifications from teams because they are hidden behind another window.

• Trevor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nifty to get a Skype-like ability to edit the last sent message by pressing the up arrow from the text input box - just sayin'. :)

• Russell Finn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding my vote here, and in additional I would request the Mac client generally support native UI conventions such as standard right-click (contextual) menu behavior (which I've made a separate idea for), system notifications, etc.

• Fábio Alves commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want native notifications. I hate that I have to click a notification in other to dismiss it and the chat app opens. It's so frustrating.

• C W Tipper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Little things like you can't type in the symbol for euro in Teams. You have to go to another application and copy and paste.

• Nicholas Westlake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for using system notifications. also, all key commands should match system conventions. here are other missing examples:

command+f should search search
    command+shift+[ should navigate to previous tab
    command+shift+] should navigate to next tab
    command+option+up-arrow should go to previous chat in the sidebar
    command+option+down-arrow should go to next chat in the sidebar
    command+1 should go to first top-level navigation (activity)
    command+2 should go to second top-level navigation (chat)
    etc.

• Julian Krzefski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am really surprised that this isn't built in already. This is an absolute must-have. Because of this I miss some notifications because they don't appear in my notification center, neither do they increment a badge on the app icon. Also they do not follow the do-not-disturb setting which is a no-go. Apple provides such a great api for notifications. What a shame not to use it.

• Adam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 to use native notifications in MacOS -- it's a bad practice not to use them

• Paul Pearce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're having problems with notifications in general but the fact that they disappear forever (when you turn off the e-mail setting, because if I wanted to use e-mail for what I'm getting notifications about, I'd use e-mail).
    Using native notifications would leave them in the macOS notification centre on the occasions you miss them on-screen.

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 to using native OS X notifications. My team runs mostly Macs as we use Windows as our secondary OS when needed. Please use the switch to using the native OS X notifications as they will also appear in the Notification Center.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.