How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Add the admin of Teams in Office admin center

Please add the administration of Teams into the Office 365 admin center. In a similar way Groups are managed.

137 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Johan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anthony Rockwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have been delaying Teams rollout because we cannot manage it properly. We cannot have Tenant Admin's do everything, we cannot make dozens of people tenant admins. This is something that is NEEDED.

• Phil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are stuck in the middle here. The O365 super admins don't want to give us rights and there is not a granular admin account to manage Teams users like there is with SPO. The mail team for sure doesn't want to give us full admin just to be able to pull reports and manage the O365 Group container which is basically the parent of Teams. At the least allow Teams admin to add an owner in the event someone needs help? Now we have to get the mail team or a global admin to help on trivial issues.... Please help make Teams a first-class citizen.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with this feedback - RE: Ms Teams & SfB Admin Center - Missing Teams section to manage team names etc. You need to add "Teams" or "Groups" tab on the left in the teams admin center - so that admins can control the naming scheme of all corporate teams. for example we decided to add the string "teams" at the front of all groups so they are differentiated in the company outlook addressbook - but we as IT admins have no control over the naming - we have to speak to each team and get them to adjust it - which is time wasting.

• Barbara Pouliot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that more administration is needed ASAP for us, but the example used seems like something the Teams Owner(s) should be responsible to manage. Even with improved administration, how would we admins know which external users/email addresses to remove or retain? I don't share my personal email addresses with the other O365 admin. One of the risks in allowing external users, definitely.

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seconding everything written below. A big blocker for us deploying Teams is that there's not much, administratively, we can do to monitor usage. The biggest issue, now, is the following: We terminate a user, prior to termination, the user has guest shared his team site to his 3rd party (gmail, outlook, yahoo) address. How in the world am I going to track that down without tools that give us a deeper look into what's happening in a Teams site without having to dig through our thousands of Sharepoint sites. This should be broken out into an easier view. Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not finding it.

• Tami Shaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand why this is something to vote on - it's a basic requirement. I'm with others in that not having it is holding us back from an enterprise roll out.

• Derek White commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lack of even basic enterprise management features is holding us back from rolling this out enterprise-wide. Basic governance tools are a must!

• Steven Kempson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates from #msteams or #microsoft or are they saying that MS Teams is not to be used as an enterprise product due to the lack of admin features. We can't all be Office 365 Global Admins.

• Barbara Pouliot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the emphasis at Ignite on Teams, I can't understand why administration, reporting, and powershell commands for Teams wasn't included and announced at that same time for O365 admins? From the Admin Center, it looks like the only way to get any visibility at all is to use the Groups > Office 365 Group filter and that includes other groups that are not using Teams. We're not currently using this, but there is some User Activity data for Teams in the PowerBI Office 365 adoption content data models, so why wasn't this used to provide Tenant Product Activity in the Admin Center like for Yammer, etc. ?

• Paul Watson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the comments below Teams is a great tool but the lack of any worthwhile admin functionality is holding me back rolling the app out.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability for enterprise tenant admins to manage and secure Teams is shockingly poor and much worse than other pieces of Office 365. Requiring Global AAD admin permissions to conduct basic admin/security tasks is "less than optimal." I believe that this is a show stopper for many enterprises. The entire way that Teams is administered and managed at the tenant level needs to be rethought from the ground up.

It would be extremely helpful to be able to see a full list of SharePoint sites and how they originated (via MS Teams, O365 Groups, or as standalone SharePoint Online sites) or what they're tied to via the admin center.

• Wayne Yan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Similarly usage reports (adoption) should also be available in the admin center. The admin should also be able to administer access (team membership) to private groups this would be required in terms of corporate governance.

This would be extremely helpful in managing Teams. We would like to have this as a security feature, where the O365 admin has full control and access to all teams.

Feedback and Knowledge Base