How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Follow and unfollow conversation thread

Hi,

This idea is not new. Currently we have a lot of unnecessary notifications and i believe we need flexible options to either get rid of them or setup banner/alert. And we already got "Follow channel" option in the latest update:
https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/16925461-allow-different-notifications-options-on-teams-and

I think we should go forward and improve conversation/thread notifications.It's very annoying when you replied to the conversation and then it becomes spamming. You have no option to unfollow this conversation and keep receiving notifications. From the other hand, there are conversations where you either not mentioned directly by @ tag or not replied yet but want to get notifications about new comments. I think that facebook concept works well here - you can either get notifications or stop notifications (in other words, follow conversation or unfollow conversation).

1,166 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Artur Ventsel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

68 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mario Mendoza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please launch this function it is more user oriented and user friendly than right clicking on the channel or sub channels to get email address to send communication to get it to load in the channel. the current function to email the channel does not notify us.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very much so want this feature, not having often causes my to not add to conversations because I dont want to get spammed with notifications

• Dom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lack of this feature makes me use contribute to discussions on Teams less because of the notification spam that is going to follow it

This should be an improvement focus on the next release. The banners are very distracting when you have different Team Channels setup. An option to only provide a banner popup when you are mentioned is a valid solution.

• Davin Sturdivant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This. This. A thousand times this.
    Honestly, one of the reasons that my organization has some challenges with adoption is that once people are looped into a thread, they are basically spammed with so many notifications that don't apply to them that they start to ignore the threads all together.

Giving them a way to turn off the notifications, especially when they are only pulled in for a single reply or a short time would be a huge win.

Man, this is embarrassing. @Admin, can't you outsorce it on fiver? Bet you have it done in a couple of hours. Cheers mate!

• Krysta Y commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The scenario for me has been when there's a chatty thread I don't care about in a channel I follow. By following the channel, I get notified for every reply in the thread even though I never participated in the thread myself. It's super distracting. Unfollowing the channel isn't a good option in this case because there are a lot of other posts I do need to be notified for.

This is especially important when there is a threaded conversation on a tab or document which goes on for a LONG time (life of the tab/document), but it is no longer relevant to you. Please implement this, pretty please!!

Completely agree, typical situation being:

Genuine conversation started > user responds to the conversation > another user adds a joke/witty comment about the conversation > it descends into "chat" that each person that commented then gets notified of the "chat" comments.

Teams needs the ability to "unfollow" unless you are @ mentioned again in the thread.

Oh, this can't get here fast enough. I'm getting spammed with a message thread I really don't care about this morning and it's killing me.

• Maria Musillo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have just moved to teams and multiple users in our organization have already asked for this. Looking forward to seeing it be included!

I think we'd like it that by default you're following all the conversations in a channel when you're following that channel and then if you don't want notifications for a particular conversation you can "Mute" that conversation but still get notifications for other/new conversations.

I am considering uninstalling teams because it is SO intrusive - mainly because I can't unfollow a conversation. Once in, IN Forever!

• Lionell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see this as a mandatory feature for a product like this. I stay out of conversations in MS Teams because I can't predict when a thread will get busy and constantly notify me, and there's nothing I can to do fix the problem once it's happened. I'm stuck with the spam notifications.

A conversation application which incentivizes people to avoid getting into conversations is a non-starter.

• Aaron Hatton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is something that I would really like to see, there is a large conversation thread going on for a project that I have no interest in however still get the notifications on my cell phone and my computer.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.