How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Follow and unfollow conversation thread

Hi,

This idea is not new. Currently we have a lot of unnecessary notifications and i believe we need flexible options to either get rid of them or setup banner/alert. And we already got "Follow channel" option in the latest update:
https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/16925461-allow-different-notifications-options-on-teams-and

I think we should go forward and improve conversation/thread notifications.It's very annoying when you replied to the conversation and then it becomes spamming. You have no option to unfollow this conversation and keep receiving notifications. From the other hand, there are conversations where you either not mentioned directly by @ tag or not replied yet but want to get notifications about new comments. I think that facebook concept works well here - you can either get notifications or stop notifications (in other words, follow conversation or unfollow conversation).

799 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Artur Ventsel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

41 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Man, this is embarrassing. @Admin, can't you outsorce it on fiver? Bet you have it done in a couple of hours. Cheers mate!

• Krysta Y commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The scenario for me has been when there's a chatty thread I don't care about in a channel I follow. By following the channel, I get notified for every reply in the thread even though I never participated in the thread myself. It's super distracting. Unfollowing the channel isn't a good option in this case because there are a lot of other posts I do need to be notified for.

This is especially important when there is a threaded conversation on a tab or document which goes on for a LONG time (life of the tab/document), but it is no longer relevant to you. Please implement this, pretty please!!

Completely agree, typical situation being:

Genuine conversation started > user responds to the conversation > another user adds a joke/witty comment about the conversation > it descends into "chat" that each person that commented then gets notified of the "chat" comments.

Teams needs the ability to "unfollow" unless you are @ mentioned again in the thread.

Oh, this can't get here fast enough. I'm getting spammed with a message thread I really don't care about this morning and it's killing me.

• Maria Musillo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have just moved to teams and multiple users in our organization have already asked for this. Looking forward to seeing it be included!

I think we'd like it that by default you're following all the conversations in a channel when you're following that channel and then if you don't want notifications for a particular conversation you can "Mute" that conversation but still get notifications for other/new conversations.

I am considering uninstalling teams because it is SO intrusive - mainly because I can't unfollow a conversation. Once in, IN Forever!

• Lionell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see this as a mandatory feature for a product like this. I stay out of conversations in MS Teams because I can't predict when a thread will get busy and constantly notify me, and there's nothing I can to do fix the problem once it's happened. I'm stuck with the spam notifications.

A conversation application which incentivizes people to avoid getting into conversations is a non-starter.

• Aaron Hatton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is something that I would really like to see, there is a large conversation thread going on for a project that I have no interest in however still get the notifications on my cell phone and my computer.

• Ryan Jarymy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HipChat functionality has the ability to leave a room, and now that I’m looking at Teams I’m thinking the only way we could avoid getting needless notifications is to make a Team private. This might prove to be a barrier to adoption!

• Andrew Mitchell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great to see this already here with a few votes. This is exactly what I want to see. A mute feature which is CONVERSATION based.

My ideal scenario would be a single 'mute' icon which is shown on each notification box. Clicking this would activate your default mute option for that conversation. Personally, my default option would be 'mute until I am @mentioned'; but other options may also be useful like mute for one hour, mute until tomorrow, mute forever...

• Jerry Jackson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HOLY F_CK how have you still not started this!!??

Two stupid this that teams forces me to do because of the useless functionality:
        1) I don't reply to any busy threads because I won't be able to stop the notifications
        2) If I do HAVE to reply, I reply then close Teams so I don't constantly get notifications.

How I picture Microsoft Teams planning meeting:
        "Lets make a feature that users can't opt-out of, which will force them to ignore the entire app." - Designer
        "And lets never fix/change it!" - Manager

• Jennifer Elarton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a team set up for our larger work group that we use to post large announcements. It is very noisy to receive notifications every time someone comments on a post after you. It would be great if we could unfollow these so we're not overwhelmed with notifications and miss out on the important ones.

I think it would be helpful to replace the current conversation with a "Forum" type application. People and start new topics, add or remove themselves from topic while keeping history of the topic for people being added to the team. It needs to be more compact and better organized to be useful on a screen.

• Kerry Patrick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. There is a big lifespan difference between a channel and a conversation, and being able to ignore one conversation that was created in a channel and follow another conversation will help to bridge that lifespan gap.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base