How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Prevent Team from showing in Outlook Global Address List

Is there any way to prevent Teams from showing up in the Global Address List in Outlook?

Some of our team names might be specific to a problem, or have a ticket#, or even downright silly (see attached screenshot). We don't want to lock down Team creation; we'd just like to prevent the Team from showing up in the GAL (by default).

138 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chris Weinert shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminWarren (Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

Great news everyone! This feature request has released!

Based on customer feedback, new Office 365 Groups generated as a result of creating a team in Microsoft Teams will no longer show in Outlook by default.
    For customers that want to continue with the existing behavior of showing these groups in Outlook, an Exchange Online PowerShell cmdlet will be provided which can enable the group for the Outlook experience. Groups created through Outlook and then later enabled for Teams will continue to show in both Outlook and Teams. This update will gradually roll out across Outlook and Teams in the coming months.

Roadmap mention – https://products.office.com/en-us/business/office-365-roadmap?filters=&featureid=26955

Overview of Teams summary – https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/MicrosoftTeams/teams-overview

Thank you all for the feedback and support!
    -Warren

25 comments

Comments are closed
    • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Where can I change the default email address associated with the Teams entry in the GAL? I did not set up an address for a Team recently created but somehow I now have an entry in the GAL with a (Teams auto-generated?) email address of 'TEAMNAME@XXXXXX.COM'.

• Mike McLean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Dariana, we're working on the ability to hide groups from Outlook that were created as a result of a new team in Microsoft Teams. As part of this change, you'll be able to retroactively hide groups that were created prior to this change. We have already released a new -HiddenFromExchangeClientsEnabled PowerShell cmdlet parameter in Set-UnifiedGroup that can be used for this functionality. In your tenant, running the following command will hide it from all entry points in Outlook (left nav, GAL, resolution): Set-UnifiedGroup -Identity <groupID> -HiddenFromExchangeClientsEnabled:$true

• Nick Botha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Easy Fix - Teams are Office 365 Groups. Hence can be controlled with the "Set-UnifiedGroup" Powershell Command by simply adding -HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled $True / $False. You can do this for individual or Bulk Groups if required.

To over come the issue of some Teams needing to be seen in the GAL, We automated the Teams Creation process. You fill in 6 fields and it spits out a new Teams as you want it to. The only thing it cant do for us is add Apps, but i hear thats coming this summer.

I am so glad I found this thread before we rolled out Teams globally also we discovered this issue during our testing. @Microsoft Please resolve this sooner rather than later particularly if the intent is for Teams to replace S4B.

• Ed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has become a mess and I didn't realize the mess this would cause in our GAL. I was able to limit who can create teams to only managers but its still a mess. If I could go back in time I would not have deployed Teams and just gone with Slack. This request has been asked in multiple forms and still no solution.

• mk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So it’s not just from Teams but also from other services like Planner, Yammer Connected Groups, Streams, BI etc. all needs an O365 Group as a foundation and all these Groups go to GAL now and makes the GAL clutter. This is a problem for all and for big organization it is worse.

There should be simple options for Group owners at the time of Group creation:
      a) yes/no check box to show in GAL
      b) yes/no check box whether users can send email to it or not.

Now there are Group policies for naming convention, say you want to add a prefix to a group name by the policy, say ‘GRP’. Say you name a Team as ‘ Annual Charity Event’ and the Group gets created for it has the name now ‘GRP Annual Charity Event’ because of the policy which is good. But this GRP prefix now also shows up on the Teams’ name in Teams’ interface which is annoying.

So all these need to be addressed to have a good experience for all..

• Rhod Matthews commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just like to add my complaint as well.

People are emailing team groups because they are showing in the GAL. For example someone tried emailing marketing@ but the team name is companynamemarketing@. Why would you set up a chat group and has to check the Groups inbox in Outlook? Trying to get my users out of Outlook.

Thanks.

• Francis Setash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is this still an issue? It's pretty ridiculous that this is still a problematic item and absolutely impacts our approach. If Teams discover-ability didn't rely on it - this would be no big deal to hide via powershell.

• John Egleston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can already hide any or all teams in the GAL - by batch script, not declaratively.

We've hidden all teams and Office 365 Groups in the Global Address List through a daily script setting HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled. This keeps our GAL clean while more of us try Teams. Few (so far) anticipate using their team email address regularly.

That setting also hides every team in Teams - public or private - even after private teams become discoverable on March 23. That means that every team is now invitation-only. So we can't post on our intranet a public team link for staff to join themselves.

So I'm looking for a middle option to hide all private (eventually maybe most) teams in the GAL but let (at least) public ones be discoverable. We're fine to flag teams'/groups' custom attributes to differentiate them, if needed.

So I'd like a declarative feature that differentiates GAL visibility from discoverability in Teams.

• Robin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the #1 barrier for Teams adoption in my company right now.

• Amy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have the same issue, we have deleted a team group email and it still shows in the Off-line global address book. This is a problem for us - how is this issue resolved

The same problem for us, we made a team for our department and suddenly people are sending e-mails to this address. Not clear for users that see that address in the list that it is not a 'classic' e-mail.
      We now think about a useless name that no-one recognise as our department or to add a -no reply- text.
      This is also not something that should be wanted in my opinion.

• Nicole Butkiewicz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second this, people on multiple teams are making the address book confusing and overly crowded with projects that don't concern most users. Additionally, oddly named teams create the impression that there are distribution groups that might be used by people not on the team. No error message is generated by non-members that their e-mails are not actually delivered (this is by design by the Team Owner but not clear to non team member user sending an e-mail)

• Antony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi again,

Actually its not in the GAL for me. In Outlook it shows under 'All Address Lists' -> 'All Groups'. When selecting email address to send an email to it, or you start typing an address, it obviously shows up and people can select it thinking that they are sending an email to the IT Department but it goes to the email setup for the Group by MS Teams.

Although I've highlighted IT Department in my example, this is the case for all Teams (OPS, Labs, Graphics, etc) that we've created in MS Teams, they have a corresponding group automatically created that then show up in Outlook under 'All Address Lists' -> 'All Groups'.

Regardless of it its going in GAL, as originally thought, or a Group that appears and can be selected, we need the ability to turn if off and prevent it appearing as an address that can be selected by users when sending email through Outlook. Not sure if it affects any other mail clients, or would only show in Outlook.

Have just sent this article (https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Office-365-Groups/Hide-Group-email-from-global-address-list/td-p/4566) to my IT department and it seems to have done the job to hide their group from appearing as an address than can be selected.

• Antony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is also an issue for us. We're finding that employees are thinking that they are sending email to the IT department, but in fact they are selecting the address setup by MS Teams for the IT Team and so emails are going no where.

This at the very least needs to be a configurable option that an admin can set for MS Teams when a 'Team' is created, 'Add Team to GAL'. And also an option on teams that have already been setup on MS Teams, 'Add/Remove Team from GAL'.

My IT department are starting to get frustrated with MS Teams that it does this without a way to prevent it or remove from GAL. Seeing as we're still doing a trial with a few teams, and hoping to fully roll out across the organisation, this will be an issue that may prevent/delay us from rolling out until addressed.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base