How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Unread message count on Chat, Teams, channels

Right now there is a unread message count badge on the Activity tab icon (I guess you only get that if you have followed any channels?). However I would much rather prefer if the badge was on the Chat and Teams tab icons so I can see where there is activity. Currently collapsed teams are also indicated having activity. Expanded teams should have the same indication.

Furthermore, the unread activity badge on both the Activity and the application icon count unread channels. I would prefer a message count.

1,604 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Michael Florentin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

73 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • shafiq commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

App is not showing total number of notifications unread or received

• Ladislav Šesták Jr. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is important!! We tried to use a channel for our support team, but it is unusable !
    When someone wants to report some issue, notification is not send and we cannot react to the issue.

Even when message is tagged as important, notification is not raised.

This behavior should be combined with option to enable/disable notifications on each channel.

This is really CRITICAL issue for our company!

• Eric Bauer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, even a small icon on the team/channel that showed the number of new messages since you last checked would be helpful (ex: red number icon in Facebook app)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Play an alert sounds and make the icon flash when there are unread messages...

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Note that this is done for "team" messages where you are mentioned, but this should also be done for chat messages as well.

• Bill Cronin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a user, I want to be able to see the number of unread conversations in my Teams start menu icon (badge).

This functionality already exists in Skype and is essential for any user running Teams alongside other applications.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's hard to know when there are new messages in different channels unless you proactively click and review. The channels should light up to indicate new conversation occurred since your last visit. Would also be good to see the Teams icon that's pinned to my desktop toolbar light up when there are new messages. I don't see either of these options in the 'Settings' but please let me know if I missed something.

• Luke Fowell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently myself and my team have issues where we are unaware of message or notifications that have happened. This is because if you miss the desktop notification originally, there is no indication that a message is waiting for you.

What I would like to see is something along the same lines as Slack or Hipchat where a small number in a red circle is present in the dock for OS X which indicates the number of unread messages waiting.

Currently as a "chat" app primarily, Teams is a non-starter for us unless little things like this are right.

• Mahesh Alwani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When a new message is posted, there is no indicator for me to identify if there is a message in another channel

1 2 4 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base