How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Unread message count on Chat, Teams, channels

Right now there is a unread message count badge on the Activity tab icon (I guess you only get that if you have followed any channels?). However I would much rather prefer if the badge was on the Chat and Teams tab icons so I can see where there is activity. Currently collapsed teams are also indicated having activity. Expanded teams should have the same indication.

Furthermore, the unread activity badge on both the Activity and the application icon count unread channels. I would prefer a message count.

1,604 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Michael Florentin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

73 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Simon Lieschke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't see any unread message counts on channels. The "Why do channel names sometimes show bold and sometimes show a number count? What's the difference?" answer at https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Managing-notifications-and-staying-focused-6fa7c08a-6fd4-47a0-b275-90a5f60f1df9 says the count next to a channel instead indicates the number of times you've been specifically mentioned.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What we need is an alert outside of Teams (e.g. an email that says there are new messages). Otherwise, we need to have Teams open all day which isn't good since it's not a daily usage software.

• Ray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's unfortunate the last update from the MS Teams folks was over a month ago now on this. Any idea when this might land?

• Daniel Zardo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is indeed very important to rise the adoption of Teams instead S4B. Please consider fixing this as soon as possible.

• Michal Galdzicki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lack of "so I can see where there is activity" seems to be the crux of this issue. Our company seems to be abandoning Teams in favor of Chat. Not sure how we will reverse the damage caused by this habit. Teams is not supporting the transparent communication it advertises.

• Michal Galdzicki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This abandonment of teams appears to be happening for us as well. Separation of Chat and Teams as the first UI fork seems to be to blame. "I just don't see that there are new messages to read in the Teams tab. Most of the time I'm in the Chat tab." Effectively, Teams is being abandoned here too. People just have private group chats.

• Adam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is painful as we test the solution. Most users don't even know anything is going on in a channel unless they see that the channel is now bold. Could be hours later before they notice and contribute to a conversation.

I use Teams on mac and I don't get app badge icon for any chats, groups, teams, etc. The setting only has banner and email, what if I miss a banner? there should be an icon showing how many messages I missed.

• Patrick Conaway commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As is the functionality of this is on par or less than what I am used to getting for free.
    Frustrated and my recommendation to my company is to get rid of 365 entirely if this is what it is like.

Used Basecamp previously and it had it's flaws regarding file storage, but at least I got notifications when there was something new in my projects. I never had to open the app to look and see if there is an active conversation thread.

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition to making it more obvious WHERE the activity is, how about improving the display so that past read conversations/items in the feed are collapsed or hidden UNLESS there is something new. My feed is full of stuff I've already seen -- other tools seem able to hide what you've already seen, allowing you to more easily spot the new stuff.

Agree with others about badges that are specific to different teams or conversations.

• Kenneth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a deal breaker for us -- we cannot use the Teams section until notifications are available... we are forced to use Chat.

This is actually the major hurdle I'm facing in moving my team from HipChat to Teams.

We're Mac-based; other applications (like HC) put a notification badge on application icon in the dock and the "alt-tab" (cmd-tab) list, in addition to the banner. An option to bounce the dock icon would be helpful but not essential.

I don't understand why notifications/alerts for teams are handled differently than chat. There is no persistent number shown on the teams icon to show that you have new "messages". This should be on channels which should roll up to Teams which should roll up to the teams icon is you are in the chat section. Our whole company is slowly abandoning Teams and only using chat because all of the messages are missed unless you go specifically look. seems like such a simple thing?? what am i missing? The teams section could be really powerfull with this simple change or option.

look at slack, now back at teams, does it look and work like slack? No? FIX IT!

• Mahesh Khiste commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree this is must , the whole purpose of collaboration is going down if we don't get notifications when someone tries to contact/post message

• Kevin Thompson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seconded. Even if its not a number badge, but some notification on the icon that there are updates in the channels I follow even though I haven't necessarily been @mentioned

I'd like alot of notification indicating when someone posted something.
    Ideally I'd like a
    * toast popup with the room, member, and first 2 lines of the message & a sound alert
    * I'd like a message count in the room/user list, along with a color change to the background to indicate a new message
    * I'd like the main tab of activity/chat/teams/meetings/files, that icon to change color & have a count of messages under it's perview.
    * maybe have a count on the icon in the taskbar also.

this is on the desktop app windows 10 btw

• Mitch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add notifications to all posts in teams groups to all members in group /email or internal notifcations will suffice and or both!

Feedback and Knowledge Base