How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Unread message count on Chat, Teams, channels

Right now there is a unread message count badge on the Activity tab icon (I guess you only get that if you have followed any channels?). However I would much rather prefer if the badge was on the Chat and Teams tab icons so I can see where there is activity. Currently collapsed teams are also indicated having activity. Expanded teams should have the same indication.

Furthermore, the unread activity badge on both the Activity and the application icon count unread channels. I would prefer a message count.

462 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Michael FlorentinMichael Florentin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks everyone for the messages and tweets in response to my last message. I think my brain is still jet lagged from hosting Teams events in Australia and I got confused on our own pill count structure!

I’m hearing a lot of different suggestions about what you’d like to see, and it’s a bit difficult to understand them verbally. If you are feeling artistic, can you send a sketch of exactly where you’d like to see numbers? I’ve already gotten a couple and they are EXTREMELY helpful. If I could get a whole bunch, I could send it over to the notifications team. (Just email it to me at sparavi@microsoft.com or tweet at @skprufo).

THANK YOU for being awesome, helpful, and engaged in this product. We appreciate your support, and helping us make Teams better!

Sincerely,
    Suphatra

34 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ZahraZahra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without drawing a picture, here's what I'm envisioning:

A badge number (like on iPhones) on the tab and on the team concerned. Number should represent unread messages.

A number in a red pill for each channel that has unread messages. The channel name is left aligned. The pill should be right aligned, cutting off the channel name if necessary.

• LarryNLarryN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a case to be made that any improvement will be better than the current circumstance.

If the team is focused in a channel, we see whats going on. However for the channels which are less popular but relevant, messages can get lost as no one notices the bold.

Please give us some count, and then worry about the awesome ideas which have been shared.

• Harrison HeckHarrison Heck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are no counts Suphatra. The channels are bolded, but there is no count. Maybe you have an internal build you are testing?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My company is abandoning the teams functionality because no one has time to constantly check for highlighted text buried a couple clicks down. This is a shame. Seems simple to fix. Just show numbers of new messages at each level (and roll up). What am i missing?

• MichaelMichael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the suggestion is to make sure that we have consistent badging of unread content that not only shows THAT there are unread messages, but how many. The badge could should be reflective of the total number of unread messages: each channel should show the number of unread messages in that channel, the Team should show the aggregate of the unread messages in all of the channels, and similarly, each private chat should show the unread count for that chat, and the badge on the "chats" tab should show the aggregate of those.

• Jason TenpennyJason Tenpenny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

chats and activity have unread counts. The Teams icon does not. At least not on any of my devices. It would be awesome to have those counts all the way down to the channel level so that I can tell at a glance which channel has the bulk of the messages.

• Sam MarshallSam Marshall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Suphatra
        Thanks for picking this up. On the Mac desktop client, I see a count on the "Activity" icon, but the name of a team is just bold. So if there are 20 alerts in total, I can't see if 19 are from TeamA and 1 from TeamB. I'd like the red counter circle to appear on the team name too.

• Roman “DJ ZX” GorinRoman “DJ ZX” Gorin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to have: unread counts for each item (chat, group chat, team, channel) and "all-in-one" counter in Taskbar and Tray - not only "blinking on taskbar".
        Also: Windows Action Center notifications instead of custom ones with ability to reply from there (not opening app)

hi Suphatra, there is currently a badge on the Chats tab in the nav bar. i was assuming it showed the number of unread messages, so i guess i'm a bit confused by your question, but then again i am also confused by the original suggestion (the suggestion i voted for was somehow merged into this one, not sure why).

• MiiiAptyltdMiiiAptyltd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Suphatra,

Just my opinion, but I generally have most Teams/Channels as private and invite those team members that need to be involved.

I do get the bold Channel names for recent messages but this isn't that noticeable in a long list of channels.

I would love it if any new messages in the channel also gets a number count, but perhaps in a GRAY oval instead of RED? So red for @mentions, gray for unread normal non-mentions

Again this is just my opinion and suits how I use Teams.

Loving it by the way!

Dan

• Simon LieschkeSimon Lieschke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't see any unread message counts on channels. The "Why do channel names sometimes show bold and sometimes show a number count? What's the difference?" answer at https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Managing-notifications-and-staying-focused-6fa7c08a-6fd4-47a0-b275-90a5f60f1df9 says the count next to a channel instead indicates the number of times you've been specifically mentioned.

What we need is an alert outside of Teams (e.g. an email that says there are new messages). Otherwise, we need to have Teams open all day which isn't good since it's not a daily usage software.

• RayRay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's unfortunate the last update from the MS Teams folks was over a month ago now on this. Any idea when this might land?

• Michal GaldzickiMichal Galdzicki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lack of "so I can see where there is activity" seems to be the crux of this issue. Our company seems to be abandoning Teams in favor of Chat. Not sure how we will reverse the damage caused by this habit. Teams is not supporting the transparent communication it advertises.

I use Teams on mac and I don't get app badge icon for any chats, groups, teams, etc. The setting only has banner and email, what if I miss a banner? there should be an icon showing how many messages I missed.

• DaveDave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition to making it more obvious WHERE the activity is, how about improving the display so that past read conversations/items in the feed are collapsed or hidden UNLESS there is something new. My feed is full of stuff I've already seen -- other tools seem able to hide what you've already seen, allowing you to more easily spot the new stuff.

Agree with others about badges that are specific to different teams or conversations.

This is actually the major hurdle I'm facing in moving my team from HipChat to Teams.

We're Mac-based; other applications (like HC) put a notification badge on application icon in the dock and the "alt-tab" (cmd-tab) list, in addition to the banner. An option to bounce the dock icon would be helpful but not essential.

• Mahesh KhisteMahesh Khiste commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree this is must , the whole purpose of collaboration is going down if we don't get notifications when someone tries to contact/post message

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base