How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Unread message count on Chat, Teams, channels

Right now there is a unread message count badge on the Activity tab icon (I guess you only get that if you have followed any channels?). However I would much rather prefer if the badge was on the Chat and Teams tab icons so I can see where there is activity. Currently collapsed teams are also indicated having activity. Expanded teams should have the same indication.

Furthermore, the unread activity badge on both the Activity and the application icon count unread channels. I would prefer a message count.

1,558 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Michael Florentin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

73 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We really need this function - a banner number with a count of unread items for teams, channels, chats. I don't see the value of the Activity tab per Shawn. We need this quickly is there a roadmap where we can see what is being worked on?

• Travis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What's the status on this? Simply "bolding" a channel when there are unread messages is not a good enough indicator of channel activity. Messages are being missed...Do we have to move to Slack?

• Marcus Diddle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. When I'm on the Teams tab, I see an unread message indicator on the Chat tab, letting me know there are messages there waiting. If I'm on the Chat tab, there is nothing to indicate if there are new messages waiting under Teams. I have to just occasionally select Teams, and see if any of them are bold. Quite an inconvenience just to determine if I'm missing any new messages. Would love an unread message count on the Teams tab itself.

• Michael Saulters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am missing messages all over the place, because Teams requires me to navigate to where they are before it shows them to me. How do I know I'm supposed to go look for them if there's no organized notification of them? This needs to be across the board. If I'm in chat->Recent, I should see names highlighted with a new message count. If I'm in chat->Contacts, they should all likewise be highlighted with a new message count.

When I click between Teams, Chat, and Meetings, I come back to the Teams window, and random teams have been collapsed. The PRIMARY team that I use the most is collapsed. Other teams are expanded and list the channels. There have been decades of usability studies showing that people can't deal with too many levels of menus and you need to flatten things, but Teams differentiates between Chat, Teams, and Meetings then into Recent/Contacts, or into channels. When I open Slack, I have a nice list of all the channels followed by all the DMs. It's flat. It's scrollable, and it doesn't waste space or my time trying to dig for what I need to see.

This feature is really needed. Unread message counter and maybe clearer indication of being notified in the Teams navigation menu

• Lance Moonshower commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On a related note, the unread count badge on the Activity icon in the App Bar disappears once you've visited the Activity Feed even if you don't actually read all of the unread items. That needs to persist until the conversations are actually viewed.

• BRIAN YOKSH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If it's an accurate count of my incomplete actions then great! If it's a count of everyone's actions or emails or comments that I don't care about then not great. Effectiveness is about accomplishing something.

• Esteban commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're testing teams right now and I keep missing a lot of messages because there is no unread counter or anything. If I miss the message the instance it's sent then I miss it. I'm trying to like it instead of slack but this is not helping.

Argh Teams shows an unread message in Chat, but all the messages have been read. How do I clear that out?

• Walter Wahlstedt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The unread message count is a fantastic idea. The current method is super confusing. For instance when I have a new chat there is a notification but if the current focus window is open to a different person's name the icon in the toolbar shows the person I was just chatting with not who just sent a new chat. Furthermore when I click to open teams it takes me to the “read” chat not the “unread” chat that needs my attention. If the chat is from the same person that teams is already focused on and I open the window the notification will not go away. I have to click in the chat box to type a message then it will stop blinking and remove the notification.

If the team is focused in a channel, we see what’s going on. However, for the channels which are less popular but relevant, messages can get lost as no one notices the bold. You have to star every channel to see it in the list.
    Please give us some count, and then worry about the awesome ideas which have been shared.

The activity tab doesn’t really solve the notification issue. It doesn’t seem clear what the point of this is? There are mostly conversations that I’m involved in, but sometimes there is a chat message listed. If activity is conversations I’m involved in then it should only list teams/channel messages. Chats should never show as I’m involved in 100% of my chats.

• Frank Hellwig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will add to this thread, hopefully increasing awareness for an issue that has existed for well over a year. I see an annoying message count badge but am completely mystified as to what is unread. In a corporate environment, we have many teams with many channels in each team. I should be very obvious as to what needs my attention.

I am coming from a previous project where we used Slack. It would be impossible for me to overstate the productivity gains that we enjoyed while using Slack. It was fantastic.

Now, we are trying Teams because we are a Microsoft Gold Partner and it integrates with our O365 Active Directory and other tools. But, while these are great integration points, having a tool that decreases productivity and doesn't (instinctively) invite collaboration is a real shame.

Sometime tools like Slack "just get it." Sadly, I can't say the same thing for Teams - a thin veneer over SharePoint and Exchange groups.

• Sean Carver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a very confusing thing for our users, who are trying to learn/understand Teams. In short, how do they know where they have unaddressed messages or info. The activity indicator not being congruent with the individual teams/channels status doesn't help. Also, the bold font on the channel isn't immediately obvious either. If not a message count, at least give us a more obvious visual cue, whether collapsed or not.

• Mike Mayo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Came here for this... furthermore when I read a message in Teams/Chat that should automatically remove the badge from Activity (and from my Windows task bar) but it does not so it gives the illusion that I have an unread message when that is not the case.

• Tuomas Pakkanen (Sulava Oy) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having the same problem as David Baldacchino. I only sometimes get the unread message notification on my profile picture if there are new messages in other tenants that I am as guest. Now again I have two unread messages stuck, even though I've cycled back and forth between the tenants. Same occurs both in PC desktop and Web.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base