How can we make Teams better?

Unread message count on Chat, Teams, channels

Right now there is a unread message count badge on the Activity tab icon (I guess you only get that if you have followed any channels?). However I would much rather prefer if the badge was on the Chat and Teams tab icons so I can see where there is activity. Currently collapsed teams are also indicated having activity. Expanded teams should have the same indication.

Furthermore, the unread activity badge on both the Activity and the application icon count unread channels. I would prefer a message count.

361 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Michael FlorentinMichael Florentin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  SuphatraAdminSuphatra (Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

Hi everyone, thanks for flagging this. Sorry it’s been frustrating!

We’re reviewing all your comments and feedback very closely and coming up with a plan. I’ll have another update soon once the folks who head up Notifications and Framework get back to me with an update.

Suphatra

20 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Michal GaldzickiMichal Galdzicki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lack of "so I can see where there is activity" seems to be the crux of this issue. Our company seems to be abandoning Teams in favor of Chat. Not sure how we will reverse the damage caused by this habit. Teams is not supporting the transparent communication it advertises.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use Teams on mac and I don't get app badge icon for any chats, groups, teams, etc. The setting only has banner and email, what if I miss a banner? there should be an icon showing how many messages I missed.

• DaveDave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition to making it more obvious WHERE the activity is, how about improving the display so that past read conversations/items in the feed are collapsed or hidden UNLESS there is something new. My feed is full of stuff I've already seen -- other tools seem able to hide what you've already seen, allowing you to more easily spot the new stuff.

Agree with others about badges that are specific to different teams or conversations.

This is actually the major hurdle I'm facing in moving my team from HipChat to Teams.

We're Mac-based; other applications (like HC) put a notification badge on application icon in the dock and the "alt-tab" (cmd-tab) list, in addition to the banner. An option to bounce the dock icon would be helpful but not essential.

• Mahesh KhisteMahesh Khiste commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree this is must , the whole purpose of collaboration is going down if we don't get notifications when someone tries to contact/post message

• Kevin ThompsonKevin Thompson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seconded. Even if its not a number badge, but some notification on the icon that there are updates in the channels I follow even though I haven't necessarily been @mentioned

I'd like alot of notification indicating when someone posted something.
        Ideally I'd like a
        * toast popup with the room, member, and first 2 lines of the message & a sound alert
        * I'd like a message count in the room/user list, along with a color change to the background to indicate a new message
        * I'd like the main tab of activity/chat/teams/meetings/files, that icon to change color & have a count of messages under it's perview.
        * maybe have a count on the icon in the taskbar also.

this is on the desktop app windows 10 btw

• MitchMitch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add notifications to all posts in teams groups to all members in group /email or internal notifcations will suffice and or both!

• Ladislav Šesták Jr.Ladislav Šesták Jr. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is important!! We tried to use a channel for our support team, but it is unusable !
        When someone wants to report some issue, notification is not send and we cannot react to the issue.

Even when message is tagged as important, notification is not raised.

This behavior should be combined with option to enable/disable notifications on each channel.

This is really CRITICAL issue for our company!

• Eric BauerEric Bauer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, even a small icon on the team/channel that showed the number of new messages since you last checked would be helpful (ex: red number icon in Facebook app)

• Bill CroninBill Cronin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a user, I want to be able to see the number of unread conversations in my Teams start menu icon (badge).

This functionality already exists in Skype and is essential for any user running Teams alongside other applications.

It's hard to know when there are new messages in different channels unless you proactively click and review. The channels should light up to indicate new conversation occurred since your last visit. Would also be good to see the Teams icon that's pinned to my desktop toolbar light up when there are new messages. I don't see either of these options in the 'Settings' but please let me know if I missed something.

• Mahesh AlwaniMahesh Alwani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When a new message is posted, there is no indicator for me to identify if there is a message in another channel

Feedback and Knowledge Base