How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Unread message count on Chat, Teams, channels

Right now there is a unread message count badge on the Activity tab icon (I guess you only get that if you have followed any channels?). However I would much rather prefer if the badge was on the Chat and Teams tab icons so I can see where there is activity. Currently collapsed teams are also indicated having activity. Expanded teams should have the same indication.

Furthermore, the unread activity badge on both the Activity and the application icon count unread channels. I would prefer a message count.

752 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Michael Florentin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

54 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tuomas Pakkanen (Sulava Oy) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having the same problem as David Baldacchino. I only sometimes get the unread message notification on my profile picture if there are new messages in other tenants that I am as guest. Now again I have two unread messages stuck, even though I've cycled back and forth between the tenants. Same occurs both in PC desktop and Web.

• David Baldacchino commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As of the current version, the unread messages in an account where I'm a guest is not updating. I have read all the messages, yet it still shows a number of unread messages when I'm on my regular (non-guest( tenant space. When I switch back to that tenant space, it shows all messages read. I get the same result on multiple installs of Teams (different computers), so it's not related to my machine profile.

For some reason when I'm in a tenant space as a Guest, it does not show the number of unread messages in my "regular" (non-guest) account. Shouldn't this work both ways? If it currently doesn't, it needs to. Thanks.

• Gary Ericson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I realize this idea is for making it easy to see the count of unread messages, but I think the underlying issue is that we want to identify new activity so we don't have to scroll and click over multiple channels to find the latest posts. So this idea could be linked with this one: <https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/18789637-unread-team-channel-filter>, which is about being able to show all the unread messages across all (or starred) channels.

• MIchael Matthews commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I’m an enterprise Mac user that has recently moved to Teams. From what I see in the thread, the Mac version may be lagging behind the Windows builds a bit. However it seems that many users have mentioned the lack of quick visual notifications. A team member and myself both missed a message for over an hour today because Teams gives no visual notification that a new unread message is present. All you need to do is look at Skype and mimic this behavior. If I step away from my workstation and return, I do not want to pull Teams up and then click though four groups and look at timestamps to tell if a new message has come in. Skype will show a little red ball with a count in it on my dock icon, in .5 seconds I know if I have any unread messages. Once I click on Skype, each group will have the same red ball with a count of unread messages.This is productivity 101 !!! Please implement this feature ASAP. As far as I am concerned the product is unusable without that basic functionality. I appreciate your help.

• Derek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You could pretty much use this as a good template to research https://get.slack.help/hc/en-us/articles/201355156-Desktop-notifications and this https://get.slack.help/hc/en-us/articles/201675007
        Most helpful would be badge icons in the system tray, taskbar, and in the chat, teams and channels. That would be extremely helpful for those that do not have the app open and open as the top window 100% of the time.
        How else are you supposed to find out if you have been away without checking the activity feed? Would you find any email client useful if it did not have some sort of badge notification system at least within their folders? I think MSFT would have a wee bit of pushback if they removed badge notifications from folders in Outlook.

As far as I am aware Windows 10 already has this capability so why not implement it with MS Teams? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/controls-and-patterns/tiles-and-notifications-badges

• Steven Anand commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When someone types in the group that a message is unread. I don't see any activity till the time I go to the group and read the messages.

• Craig Lowell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From my perspective, the most important place for the unread messages notification is on the desktop and taskbar icons. I don't work with the Teams app open and visible at all times, so to have a notification on the taskbar icon will go a long way to help reduce the number of messages that go unseen for hours.

• Zahra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without drawing a picture, here's what I'm envisioning:

A badge number (like on iPhones) on the tab and on the team concerned. Number should represent unread messages.

A number in a red pill for each channel that has unread messages. The channel name is left aligned. The pill should be right aligned, cutting off the channel name if necessary.

• LarryN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a case to be made that any improvement will be better than the current circumstance.

If the team is focused in a channel, we see whats going on. However for the channels which are less popular but relevant, messages can get lost as no one notices the bold.

Please give us some count, and then worry about the awesome ideas which have been shared.

• Harrison Heck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are no counts Suphatra. The channels are bolded, but there is no count. Maybe you have an internal build you are testing?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My company is abandoning the teams functionality because no one has time to constantly check for highlighted text buried a couple clicks down. This is a shame. Seems simple to fix. Just show numbers of new messages at each level (and roll up). What am i missing?

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the suggestion is to make sure that we have consistent badging of unread content that not only shows THAT there are unread messages, but how many. The badge could should be reflective of the total number of unread messages: each channel should show the number of unread messages in that channel, the Team should show the aggregate of the unread messages in all of the channels, and similarly, each private chat should show the unread count for that chat, and the badge on the "chats" tab should show the aggregate of those.

• Jason Tenpenny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

chats and activity have unread counts. The Teams icon does not. At least not on any of my devices. It would be awesome to have those counts all the way down to the channel level so that I can tell at a glance which channel has the bulk of the messages.

• Sam Marshall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Suphatra
        Thanks for picking this up. On the Mac desktop client, I see a count on the "Activity" icon, but the name of a team is just bold. So if there are 20 alerts in total, I can't see if 19 are from TeamA and 1 from TeamB. I'd like the red counter circle to appear on the team name too.

• Roman “DJ ZX” Gorin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to have: unread counts for each item (chat, group chat, team, channel) and "all-in-one" counter in Taskbar and Tray - not only "blinking on taskbar".
        Also: Windows Action Center notifications instead of custom ones with ability to reply from there (not opening app)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hi Suphatra, there is currently a badge on the Chats tab in the nav bar. i was assuming it showed the number of unread messages, so i guess i'm a bit confused by your question, but then again i am also confused by the original suggestion (the suggestion i voted for was somehow merged into this one, not sure why).

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base