How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Change which Tab is default landing page for a Team and/or Channel

Right now the conversation tab is the default landing page for a Team and/or Channel.
I want to be able to have a SharePoint site landing page in a tab and that tab be the default tab open when you navigate to a team or channel.

Think of it like a landing page for that team. You may not want it to drop right into Conversations. If you can have a SharePoint page with a Microsoft Teams conversations web part, you get the best of both worlds.
I can see a lot of scenarios where you'd want the chat window open and another tab at the same time. Rather than having to context switch. Imagine the SharePoint page tab being the way to do that by using Web Parts on a dashboard. A web part for the Microsoft Team and another web part for whatever was in another tab.

1,134 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jeremy Thake shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

152 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Javier Cuesta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was looking something like that. Just a landing page which could also include things like timelines, news, links, widgets, etc. whatever works and appeal team members :)

• Anna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love this idea - it makes the interface much more friendly, especially for people who don't frequently use Microsoft teams and want to quickly know what's available on each channel!

• Ilpo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to customize tabs would be highly appreciated. Both order and default tab should be determined by the owner of the Team.
    Otherwise this program seems wery promising and i´m looking forward to seeing future improvements.

• Morgan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like the functionality to choose while tab should be default for each channel. Some, it would be better to default to Files. Others, it'd be better to default to Conversations.

• Laura commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I created my own custom tab within all my channels for projects and would like to be able to default to that tab rather than the "conversations" default tab. It would be nice to be able to move the tabs around according to the one that is used most. It would save time.

• Mike Toolin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree. I have an group of engineers that are having a hard time adopting. Having a landing page that gives them immediate information would help them see the value in using the tool more often

• Alexander Sapozhkov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't really believe it's going to happen because it kinda contradicts Microsoft Team developers team's wish to make this chat application become the center of collaboration. Or is it just me?

• David Rosenthal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Love the idea Jeremy. I would take this one step further and make it user configurable per channel to let them decide what they want their default tab to be. Some teams live and die by chat, where others might want something more regimented initially like a SharePoint page. Or perhaps the PMs on the team prefer one of their tracking tabs, but the devs want chat or VSTS.

Giving the user the power is what could differentiate a feature like this.

• Vahid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our team really wants to be able to remove "Conversations" as the default tab. There's good reason for this.

For example, we currently have a channel called "Meeting Notes" that we use for nothings else than what the name suggest. However, to actually take notes I need first click on the channel and then CLICK AGAIN on our OneNote tab.

Not only is this slow, but also it's been an issue with uptake. With the older team members especially, it is sometimes non-obvious where to take the notes (i.e. they don't realize that they have to click on the notes tab). Thus, it would be awesome to change the default tab so notes (or anything else) are immediately there when you click on the channel.

1 2 3 4 5 6 8 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.