How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Create a Microsoft Team based on a Office 365 Group created in Yammer

Office 365 Groups is supposed to be a single definition for a Group across all Office 365 services. However, Microsoft Teams cannot be based on Office 365 Groups created in Yammer. Please fix this so that Yammer Groups and Microsoft Teams are more tightly integrated. Fragmentation of Office 365 Groups will result otherwise.

66 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Eric Davis shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yammer single step creation of group, onenote, planner, sharepoint is much more efficient than Teams. Jamming Teams as a replacement for busines skype while this issue still exists is bewildering at best.

• Tim Nagels commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams should provide the option of both synchronous and asychronous communication. This would be fairly easy by adding yammer groups to a teams channel tab.

• Stephen White commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Couldn't agree more. I have created the same group in both Yammer and Teams, one for broad discussion and one for closed discussion respectively. Now I have 2 SharePoint sites, 2 OneNote notebooks, etc, it's a mess. We need to be able to join the SharePoint group between the two chat interfaces.

• Mark Moore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. this is a massive issue and a poor implementation of yammer integration into the wider toolset

• Philip Austin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This surely needs to happen? Regardless of where the Group is created such as in Yammer, the Office 365 group should then be available to Microsoft Teams.

• Robert Hostetler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For those of you that are interested, I've proposed an alternate solution, just give O365 admins the ability to block Yammer from having groups, but allow Outlook to have them.

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/19603627-ability-to-enable-o365-outlook-groups-but-keep-o36

Even though this is different, I voted for this one because what I care about the most is seeing Microsoft do anything useful to resolve this.

• Dan Bradley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've just come across this. This is a massive barrier for us for adoption and our customers. Please fix.

• Brian Reach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel like Teams has all the things that Yammer's new group feature was SUPPOSED to have (files in sharepoint, chat, planner) - I'm so confused about why O365 is introducing a new thing instead of just fixing the old one and having a new interface. I really hope they get on this fast!

Feedback and Knowledge Base