How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Joining a Team

CHANGE PROMPT:
Change "Add team" to "Add or join a team": I avoided this button because I thought it would always create a new team. It wasn’t evident to me that I could browse for existing teams there too.

PREVIEW A TEAM:
Provide the ability to preview a Team without immediately joining, to see what the reason for the Team is and what Channels exist. It’s a little cumbersome to have to join, realize the Team isn’t what you thought it was, and leave.

TEAMS DISCOVERABILITY
Presently you have to know the name of a team to be able to search for it, if I am new to the company and I want to have a look to see what teams there are within my organisation I can’t currently, as I don’t know the names of them in the first place, it would be better if all public teams were visible.

745 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

VickyVicky shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback. You submitted this just six weeks ago and brought it to our attention, and we’re happy to report its now complete!

However, we have some follow up questions for you though:

1 — We want to improve how people first join Teams. Would you be interested in sharing your experience? Please add to the thread below exactly what your experience was when you first joined Teams and wanted to get started. Where you went, what your instincts were, what you were trying to achieve, etc.

2 — Would you want to talk to one of our researchers to share your thoughts? If so, sign up here and note “Join a Team” as your research interest. https://1drv.ms/xs/s!AryUNzh1ogZzif8pDcOcx2pW45I87w

Thanks again for your engagement — you are helping us make Teams better and better!

Sincerely,
    Suphatra

64 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When is this rolling out? I have You have Microsoft Teams Version 1.0.00.19451 (64-bit). It was last updated on 7/20/17 and do not see this improvement?

• Steven PoessneckerSteven Poessnecker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Rob Wilde. First, how specifically does this work? Is this the "search" for an existing team but you have to be in the "Add Team" function first? Or is the functionality that you are indicating something completely different?

If it is the former, several things that I have issue with this:
        1) I shouldn't have to go to the "Add team" function before I can search for a team. It's not intuitive AT ALL.
        2) I do want to give users the ability to browser through the list of public teams and channels to see what's available. Otherwise, you are relying on people know "what" and "how" to search for the right teams before they create something new.
        1) I h

• Rob WildeRob Wilde commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, as per Debi Randolph's comment below...when will this be available? We are just rolling out Teams in our organisation and confusion around what teams already exist is limiting engagement. Should the "Suggested Teams" page now show all Public Teams available for me to join?

I have version 1.0.00.19451 (64-bit), updated on 7/21/17 but I still don't see this functionality?

• Ron AllenRon Allen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are naming public teams with: [Job Name] [Proposal#] [Job#] we want to search for the P# or the J# and find the team. Currently the only way to find a team is knowing how the team name starts. Example: "The big Job P12345 J54321" if I search 54321 I find nothing, same for 12345. if I search "The" it finds the team. Even better would be a check box in Properties that allows "Search in Team Description also"

I agree with some of the others posting, it needs to be easy to join public teams. A listing of available public teams would be great. Then search would narrow the list.

An admin Should also be able to set what teams are allocated to new users by default.

When you login - you should see an option heading for "all public teams" under favourites, that you can collapse or expand with a link to join next to each team.

• Rebecca GoodmanRebecca Goodman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1. My experience brought me to a prompt to create a team. The problem was, I didn't want to create a team, I was wanting to login and look around to see the home, to see what Public groups existed already. The first point should not be to create, then you get immediate trash sites. Sites that people name as themselves or random trash because they think they have to create a site to collaborate in Teams, but are really unsure what the process is and will follow the largest text on the screen.

For those (90% I would say) of people who work in applications never ever deal with security. One of the top issues that exist is the lack of cohesiveness with administrative support and Teams. Admins unable to have access unless they change the process and force people to wait for a site creation. Admins should be back end automatically applied. This is the biggest security malfunction I have ever seen with Office 365 and screams that this went out too soon. How can a user experience be good when their own Admins can't assist? What could be great is turning south quickly.

• Jeff EricksonJeff Erickson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We can see some public groups on the "Suggested teams" page but not all of the teams that we know are public. Everything that is public should be visible on this page.

• TerryMcTerryMc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We created most of our teams from existing sharepoint sites. None of these display in suggested sites for our users to join. But those we did create in Teams from scratch do display.

For new users that are looking for a Team to join, are confused by Add Team specifically in our pilot when there were no public teams already setup They think they need to add a new Team to get started and we received a lot of questions.

• LarryNLarryN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From the perspective of the Admin / SharePoint coordiantor, the experience is fairly solid. After I build a team and identify staff, they get their notification and login difficulty.

From the perspective of a user, logging in and seeing what has been assigned is nice. In our use case, we aren't interested in discoverability given the size of our company. This would be a different response if we were larger and expected the team to be more on their own.

• Pierre TrudelPierre Trudel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams and O365 Groups are going to be a corner stone of O365 deployment. Many of them (departements) will be created by the implementation team. But one of the strongest point of Teams is how easy it is to create a Team. So we will probably end up with a lot of them. And having public Teams (inside the organisation) mean people need to be able to find rapidly what is relevant.

You already have Delve which do a wonderful job of finding what is relevant to me. Can't you do a similar thing for suggesting public Teams that are relevant to me.

Sure I would also like to have the search option or browse option.

In our pilot project with O365 though we find that people dont tend to explore or search. Inviting them get better result to bring their participation. Is it because the tool is new. Can't say for now.

• Mark NobleMark Noble commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been added to a few teams. I created the first one and added co-workers. They seem to have been invited and notified via email. Since this was their first time using Office 365, they had to set that up as well - and IT was still fine-tuning some issues with authentication so it was a little rough for some people.

When I switched teams, I asked my new manager to consider using Teams as well since the new team had no collaboration tool - I think they were just using consumer Skype, though we all had Skype for Business. In that case, it was pretty easy for me - I got a notification of the new team and joined. IT was still sorting out some authentication issues that locked a few people out of the system.

Most recently, I was forced to change my password and due to an issue with two-factor authentication requirements, I got stuck in an authentication loop and couldn't access Teams. IT had to re-set my devices and then I was able to go in and properly complete the two-factor auth steps and then log in as normally.

Another Team was created by some colleagues - once again, they invited me, and since I was already set up with teams, joining was painless.

Overall, it's been pretty straightforward.

in most of our cases Teams will be created by our Service Desk. For this the user will not be adding a team, but actually joining. Create Teams should appear for admins/owners that have access to Create Teams.

• kenken commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is no way to browse existing private or public teams, once the add team button has been selected.

This is impacting adoption because unless a user knows the name of the team to search it or has a team link there is no way to see a teams existence.

• Sharon HuangSharon Huang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we can find public teams, however, it requires search. it would be better if there is a public teams list that people could join. that's say, IT as example, we create a IT help Team but no one would find it unless they search!!. also, we want to connect this public Team email to existing email group(not 365 gorup), so that we can keep existing service on. please advise and this is really important to our orgnization. lots of our users ask why Teams can't connect to existing email group. we don't have answer to it.

• Jason WJason W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently we can't see public teams because we use on-prem exchange, the Teams client should be able to see public teams when using the "Add Teams" function even for on-prem exchange users.

We don't see public teams unless we type out their name. People are used to be able to browse public teams in Slack. Why would you make it hard for users to join public teams?

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base