How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Joining a Team

CHANGE PROMPT:
Change "Add team" to "Add or join a team": I avoided this button because I thought it would always create a new team. It wasn’t evident to me that I could browse for existing teams there too.

PREVIEW A TEAM:
Provide the ability to preview a Team without immediately joining, to see what the reason for the Team is and what Channels exist. It’s a little cumbersome to have to join, realize the Team isn’t what you thought it was, and leave.

TEAMS DISCOVERABILITY
Presently you have to know the name of a team to be able to search for it, if I am new to the company and I want to have a look to see what teams there are within my organisation I can’t currently, as I don’t know the names of them in the first place, it would be better if all public teams were visible.

994 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Vicky shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    working on it  ·  AdminWarren (Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

This request is being worked upon.

Change Prompt: the prompt will be updated to imply both “join” or “create” – this should be coming soon.

Preview Team is still in the works. No details at this time.

Team Discoverability is still being worked upon though again, no details at this time. The suggestion covering this is found at https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/suggestions/19470934

I’ll work to get some more details as they become available, so stay tuned.

And thank you again for all the feedback and suggestions.
    -Warren

95 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be an awesome addition to teams. We are new to teams in my company and there is a steep learning curve. These additions would easy those challenges.

Thanks.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love an option to send out a link to team that would show the team description and work with the 'Team owner approve new members' option. Typical use case as I email 40 colleagues and want those interested (significantly less than 40) to request membership. As mentioned in this thread, if you send out a team link in this scenario, it only opens up the user's Team client and not the request membership (and team description) page.

• Natalie Crosby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would like to see an option for users to join a Team with a unique code, rather than the owner having to add members.

• jamie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a really huge differentiator between teams and other enterprise chat/collab apps. Teams/groups MUST be discoverable/browsable.

• Rene commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

join via link in a another team/channel to avoid searching for a channel. but join via direct link

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have people who see two different things on the button on the bottom left. I see "Add Team". Person next to me sees "Create or Join a Team". No idea why it's different.

Regardless of what it's called, when I click that button I should see EVERY PUBLIC team in my organization. Right now, no one sees anything on that screen at all and it's very confusing to everyone. The only way someone can find a public team is if they know the exact name to search for it.

We've also had requests from people to be able to view a public team (read only) without actually Joining the team. Sometime you might just want to see what another team is up to but not join it and get all the notifications and things like that.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You report this enhancement is now complete... but the significant portion of making public teams visible is not complete. Is there a separate enhancement request for that, or is it still in the works?

• Barrie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have teams, find it very very basic and clunky not really an improvement or service I can do without, but I have been invited to a Teams private group by someone from Microsoft and all their invite does is opens the Join teams window in edge and then asks me to switch tenant.

• Jordan Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This isn't working as designed. I still cannot see public teams. In fact, I don't see any results when adding a new team.

• Justice Diven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Issue is not closed for me. I still only see "Create a team" and one recommended public team. When I type single letters, I see that there are many more public teams available but I am not able to browse them. Need to make all public teams available to browse and select.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The prompt now says "Create and join team"...It should say "Create or join team".

Once it opens "Suggested Teams", it does not display all Public Teams. It is ok to suggest teams at the top but we're still missing a directory of all public teams that a new employee is free to join.

• JuanMa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Trying to adopt MS Teams in our organization I don't see the way to see all private Teams created by my colleagues. I see that a clear risk of having duplicated teams. Is it now possible to see the full list of Ms Teams created in the organization? Thanks

• Triston Nelson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was looking to see how a URL/Direct Link ("Get Link to team") to the team would allow someone who isn't on the team to join it. I have made a public team and sent the link to someone not in it, but when they click on the link, it takes them to their teams and not the one I wanted them to join; the team in which I created the link from.

It would be nice to have the ability to for a Teacher/Professor to use Teams as "Office Hours" for students and have a link that can be put on the syllabus for students to join the Team in which the teacher is there. I know there are Teams integration with LMSs out there, but for those who aren't this would be a nice feature.

• Dariana Szykier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Presently the URL's associated with a team only take you there if you are already a member of the team. They should take non-members to some "preview" page so they can see if it is the correct team for them to join. We want to help direct people as precisely as possible. Currently when you search for a public team you have to know the exact team name. This isn't user friendly. We are trying to mitigate duplication of teams. Feeling handcuffed by Microsoft right now.

• krhoades commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same as other recent comments - this is certainly not complete.

Public Teams are not listed, nor are any other teams when you try to 'Add Team', the only option is 'Create Team'. I cannot roll out this product until users are able to see what Teams are available to them.

• Guillaume commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is it possible to broadcast a link to a public team and have people join the team from the link?

• Estolpe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

as Paul Youngberg and Victor says - you need a complete company domain list of all public teams when clicking "join team". + it would be brilliant to be able to @ people outside the public team on a discussion so they can just jump in on that thread (right now, 2017-11-14, you have to invite them first to the team to be able to @ them)

• Paul Youngberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"We're happy to report this is now complete"? But... it isn't? It still says 'Add a team' which is really confusing for our users when they just want to join on. Last update was five months ago. This is a very simple UI fix, are there any hurtles that are preventing the team from pushing this to everybody?

• Victor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same feedback as many here (I'm liking Teams, just need to fix/add crucial features):

Make the button read "Join or Add a Team"

Show the public teams available to join. Right now all it shows is "create a team".

Search is broken and I can't find public teams I know exist. Some say search works on first name, but that doesn't even work for me.

Make the search for a team more prominent.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base