How can we make Teams better?

Joining a Team

CHANGE PROMPT:
Change "Add team" to "Add or join a team": I avoided this button because I thought it would always create a new team. It wasn’t evident to me that I could browse for existing teams there too.

PREVIEW A TEAM:
Provide the ability to preview a Team without immediately joining, to see what the reason for the Team is and what Channels exist. It’s a little cumbersome to have to join, realize the Team isn’t what you thought it was, and leave.

TEAMS DISCOVERABILITY
Presently you have to know the name of a team to be able to search for it, if I am new to the company and I want to have a look to see what teams there are within my organisation I can’t currently, as I don’t know the names of them in the first place, it would be better if all public teams were visible.

633 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

VickyVicky shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback. You submitted this just six weeks ago and brought it to our attention, and we’re happy to report its now complete!

However, we have some follow up questions for you though:

1 — We want to improve how people first join Teams. Would you be interested in sharing your experience? Please add to the thread below exactly what your experience was when you first joined Teams and wanted to get started. Where you went, what your instincts were, what you were trying to achieve, etc.

2 — Would you want to talk to one of our researchers to share your thoughts? If so, sign up here and note “Join a Team” as your research interest. https://1drv.ms/xs/s!AryUNzh1ogZzif8pDcOcx2pW45I87w

Thanks again for your engagement — you are helping us make Teams better and better!

Sincerely,
    Suphatra

48 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sharon HuangSharon Huang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we can find public teams, however, it requires search. it would be better if there is a public teams list that people could join. that's say, IT as example, we create a IT help Team but no one would find it unless they search!!. also, we want to connect this public Team email to existing email group(not 365 gorup), so that we can keep existing service on. please advise and this is really important to our orgnization. lots of our users ask why Teams can't connect to existing email group. we don't have answer to it.

• Jason WJason W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently we can't see public teams because we use on-prem exchange, the Teams client should be able to see public teams when using the "Add Teams" function even for on-prem exchange users.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We don't see public teams unless we type out their name. People are used to be able to browse public teams in Slack. Why would you make it hard for users to join public teams?

• Keith BKeith B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My users cannot see the Public Teams I have created for them. It seems to me like the "Teams" part of Teams should be very easy to access. I would like my users to be able to opt-in to certain Team feeds - or opt-out as desired. This seems like a very basic functionality.

An internal/corporate public team directory would be great to have. A new user could see which groups are public and select the ones that are relevant. Perhaps a country or department based directory could help even further. perhaps adding hashtags (#finance #US #HSE) in the Team description can make it easier for the search engine to find them.

• Paul YoungbergPaul Youngberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What part of this is complete? Being able to see all Public Teams? That works for us now. The other two items mentioned (Previewing Teams and Add + Join button) are not working in the Windows Desktop client.

My feedback:
        Previewing a team should also enable the user to interact in the conversation. Our use case involves having Teams + Groups spun up for each of our 500+ clients. The main employees on those accounts are members of the Groups+Teams but sometimes other employees do incidental work and need access to those Teams to make a quick comment. Currently, they have to join the Team, make their comment, then remember to leave the team (if they forget to leave, they start getting all the email traffic from the attached Group - not ideal). They should be able to leave comments, then close the Team without having to worry about membership, or about how Teams is attached to Groups (no one thinks about that except admins)

• KateKate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks like the prompt is still "Add team" rather than "Add or join a team" (web and MacOS app) - is this change still in the works? thanks!

• Pavel BackaPavel Backa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is really weird. Somewhere it works, somwhere not. In browser I can see public teams, in MacOs app not. One user can see public teams within app in Windows 10 and another cannot see them (app in windows 7).
        This is still in development?

• Paul YoungbergPaul Youngberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In O365 groups I can 'view' a public Group without joining it. This is insanely useful for us. We've make Groups for each of our 500+ clients but our users only join groups for clients they're actively involved with. Still, sometimes they're doing incidental work with a client and they'll pop in to get caught up on the conversation. A+ feature.

Now look at Teams: when I want to pop into the conversation I have to "Join" the Team... which joins me to the Group... and now I have to remember to 'leave' the Team/Group after I'm done. Not a fun thing to explain to your users. Especially when they start getting all the emails meant for the Group attached to the Team they just joined sent to their inbox. Please make this work exactly the same as it works in O365 Groups! Thank you.

• matshe@microsoft.commatshe@microsoft.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Next level would be to recommend top teams based on your AAD structure/role. Don't spam here: suggest only top teams with a certain threshold.

Many of these hierarchically-based teams you should be automatically added to if it's from a DG. :(

Agreed. If a Team is public, it should be easy to join by just seeing a list of available Teams.

• Louis BurtonLouis Burton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Easier team discovery for public teams is essential. If I'm not in the team, how do I know what to search for?

• John DonoghueJohn Donoghue commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't understand how this isn't a basic feature - if people can't find teams then what's the point of making them public!

Help us to find relevant Teams by offering user defined meta-data as we know from SharePoint.

• Vishal SethVishal Seth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

do you know taht the main search box does not search for public teams?

you have to go to add a team and use the searchbox on that pane. please fix.

• VickyVicky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You have to know the name of the team to be able to search for it first, which I don't I want to have a look to see what teams there are within my organisation, it would be better if all public teams were visible here.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base