How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Joining a Team

CHANGE PROMPT:
Change "Add team" to "Add or join a team": I avoided this button because I thought it would always create a new team. It wasn’t evident to me that I could browse for existing teams there too.

PREVIEW A TEAM:
Provide the ability to preview a Team without immediately joining, to see what the reason for the Team is and what Channels exist. It’s a little cumbersome to have to join, realize the Team isn’t what you thought it was, and leave.

TEAMS DISCOVERABILITY
Presently you have to know the name of a team to be able to search for it, if I am new to the company and I want to have a look to see what teams there are within my organisation I can’t currently, as I don’t know the names of them in the first place, it would be better if all public teams were visible.

1,204 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Vicky shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    partially done  ·  Warren responded  · 

I’m switching the status to Partially Done.

The request for a Preview Team is still in the works. No new information is available at this time.

Team Discoverability is still being worked upon, no details are available at this time. If you support this idea please navigate over to the main topic and vote for it! https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/

Change Prompt: this has been completed
    -Warren

106 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mike Menne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Team Discoverability: Centering teams around products we are attempting to inner source makes this a crucial lacking feature. The ability for people to discover teams without knowing anything about naming is needed.

• Jamey Steinmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ability to discover 365 groups both public and private already exists in outlook and we would like Teams to function the same way as joining a 365 group in Outlook does not add a user to the team or let them know if the group also has a corresponding team. When this is implemented I think the Private Team owners should be able to hide their team from discovery as this should satisfy those that require a team to not be visible.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can an admin confirm that this implementation will include the change so that ALL public teams will show up when someone goes to the Join a Team page? This is one of the biggest complaints from our users, including our Execs, is that they can't find the Teams they want because they don't show up on the Join a Team page even though they are public. At least make this a configurable option so I can our my instance of Teams show ALL the public teams.

• Stace Hamilton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My new hires are continuously needing me to add them to teams as they cannot find them. Please add the ability to browse all public teams please. thx!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not all Teams should be discoverable. If a team is collaborating on a confidential task, the Team and description should not be discoverable. Private Teams should remain private.

please am looking for a soccer team to join, I have searched and I couldn't find any. so if someone could help me find a soccer team at Cookeville to join, I will be grateful. Am above 16

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be an awesome addition to teams. We are new to teams in my company and there is a steep learning curve. These additions would easy those challenges.

Thanks.

Would love an option to send out a link to team that would show the team description and work with the 'Team owner approve new members' option. Typical use case as I email 40 colleagues and want those interested (significantly less than 40) to request membership. As mentioned in this thread, if you send out a team link in this scenario, it only opens up the user's Team client and not the request membership (and team description) page.

• Natalie Crosby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would like to see an option for users to join a Team with a unique code, rather than the owner having to add members.

• jamie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a really huge differentiator between teams and other enterprise chat/collab apps. Teams/groups MUST be discoverable/browsable.

• Rene commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

join via link in a another team/channel to avoid searching for a channel. but join via direct link

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have people who see two different things on the button on the bottom left. I see "Add Team". Person next to me sees "Create or Join a Team". No idea why it's different.

Regardless of what it's called, when I click that button I should see EVERY PUBLIC team in my organization. Right now, no one sees anything on that screen at all and it's very confusing to everyone. The only way someone can find a public team is if they know the exact name to search for it.

We've also had requests from people to be able to view a public team (read only) without actually Joining the team. Sometime you might just want to see what another team is up to but not join it and get all the notifications and things like that.

You report this enhancement is now complete... but the significant portion of making public teams visible is not complete. Is there a separate enhancement request for that, or is it still in the works?

• Barrie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have teams, find it very very basic and clunky not really an improvement or service I can do without, but I have been invited to a Teams private group by someone from Microsoft and all their invite does is opens the Join teams window in edge and then asks me to switch tenant.

• Jordan Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This isn't working as designed. I still cannot see public teams. In fact, I don't see any results when adding a new team.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base