How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Joining a Team

CHANGE PROMPT:
Change "Add team" to "Add or join a team": I avoided this button because I thought it would always create a new team. It wasn’t evident to me that I could browse for existing teams there too.

PREVIEW A TEAM:
Provide the ability to preview a Team without immediately joining, to see what the reason for the Team is and what Channels exist. It’s a little cumbersome to have to join, realize the Team isn’t what you thought it was, and leave.

TEAMS DISCOVERABILITY
Presently you have to know the name of a team to be able to search for it, if I am new to the company and I want to have a look to see what teams there are within my organisation I can’t currently, as I don’t know the names of them in the first place, it would be better if all public teams were visible.

798 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

VickyVicky shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback. You submitted this just six weeks ago and brought it to our attention, and we’re happy to report its now complete!

However, we have some follow up questions for you though:

1 — We want to improve how people first join Teams. Would you be interested in sharing your experience? Please add to the thread below exactly what your experience was when you first joined Teams and wanted to get started. Where you went, what your instincts were, what you were trying to achieve, etc.

2 — Would you want to talk to one of our researchers to share your thoughts? If so, sign up here and note “Join a Team” as your research interest. https://1drv.ms/xs/s!AryUNzh1ogZzif8pDcOcx2pW45I87w

Thanks again for your engagement — you are helping us make Teams better and better!

Sincerely,
    Suphatra

78 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Paul YoungbergPaul Youngberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"We're happy to report this is now complete"? But... it isn't? It still says 'Add a team' which is really confusing for our users when they just want to join on. Last update was five months ago. This is a very simple UI fix, are there any hurtles that are preventing the team from pushing this to everybody?

• VictorVictor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same feedback as many here (I'm liking Teams, just need to fix/add crucial features):

Make the button read "Join or Add a Team"

Show the public teams available to join. Right now all it shows is "create a team".

Search is broken and I can't find public teams I know exist. Some say search works on first name, but that doesn't even work for me.

Make the search for a team more prominent.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Suphatra...you mentioned on May 03 that his was done, but it isn't at all. There does not appear to be any means to browse through public teams. Can you please provide an update?

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So when will the availability to see ALL Public Teams be completed? When I click Add Team I just see a blank screen that doesn't list anything. Only thing I can do is search.

Search sucks because you can only search via the first word of the team name. If my team is called Software Deployments, I can't search for Deployments and find it...

This thread says that seeing All Public teams is in the word but it's from 5+ months ago and directs to this feature request.
        https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Teams/Suggested-Teams-not-displayed/td-p/66632

• Stace HamiltonStace Hamilton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If a team is public I should be able to view a list of public teams rather than having to search. If a person doesnt know the name of the team how do they find it? After clicking Add Team on that screen should display available public teams to join.

• ANHEANHE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Suphatra - can you please provide an update on your statement from May 3rd? Seems that it does not align with what people experience?! Is this complete or not? When is it released?

Regards,
        Anders

• Tom KieferTom Kiefer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm seeing what appears to be the same problem that Mike reported, that searches only seem to find Teams whose name starts with the entered search term. E.g., Team "Firstword Secondword" can be found by searching for "Firstword Secondword" or for "Firstword", but not by searching for "Secondword". This is a significant discoverability problem.

Related question: Do Teams have descriptions? (If not, why not?) If so, do/can team searches include searching on that description text? Might help significantly when looking for teams whose exact name aren't known.

• DarwinDarwin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Google, Siri and now Cortana follow the defacto standard of one search prompt for everything - would be nice if teams followed the model that even young children have come to expect from search prompts :)

Not only is the "Team Search" prompt a separate one - you have to hunt and peck to find it.

But joining a team is (a) the most important thing you need to do (b) very early in the MS Teams Out-Of-Box experience.

Just noticed the update from May says "we’re happy to report its now complete!"

What does that mean? The button doesn't say Join. I don't see a way to view all Teams. And there's no way to preview a team. What exactly is complete?

When you search for a team, does it only search the first word? I created a Team called "Companyname Deployments". I then had someone go to Add Team and search for "Deployments" and they couldn't find the team. If they searched for "Companyname" the result was "Companyname Deployments". I don't know it this is WAD or a bug but it's really hard to find teams if you don't know the exactly name.

And yes, the button should say "Add/Join Team" instead of just "Add Team" as it's very misleading.

• Anders HeickAnders Heick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems that this has not been rolled out - or is not completed - as otherwise stated by Microsoft.

According to the Teams app it self, I am having the latest version installed: "Microsoft Teams Version 1.0.00.22051 (64-bit). Last updated on 8/15/17". However, users can still not find public teams and it still says "Add team"..

VERY CONFUSING - and users are complaining seriously about usability here!

Please provide a detailed update of roll-out or what version it is available in.

Regards,
        Anders

• HenriHenri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Feedback on the questions:

1. Very confusing on how to find teams because there is a search at the top, but when one searches, it doesn't search for teams, but rather some other strange stuff like chats, people, files... so it's a searchbox on the teams tab that searches for everything but teams. Only through experimentation, I discovered that the "add teams" at the bottom, which opens up a blank page only offering the creation of a team & a search box, is where you search for existing teams. The search is not effective for those discovering teams because I was searching for "2611", but the team name is "cos2611 ..." and the search failed to find it. It only found it when I searched for "cos2611".

I'd like to:
        * search for teams directly at the top search box of the teams tab;
        * have the lower button be "Browse/Make Teams";
        * have the list of teams displayed upon clicking the "Browse/Make Teams" and use the search box as a live filter instead.

2. Sure. :)

• Jamie JacksonJamie Jackson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I assumed that there were no teams set up and that I was creating the first team. (I was not.)

Slack has the intuitive "Channels" in the navigation above the channel listing, so that's the kind of thing that I expect to see.

Despite the claim that this is complete, the many comments, below, will attest that any fix has yet to be released. Browsing is still impossible. Search is possible, but one would have to search at least 26 times ("a", "b", "c", ...) to see which teams are available (that's nothing like browsing). Without the ability to browse, discovering, say, an "interest group" team is not practical.

Until one can see other public teams, my company would have a hard time replacing Slack.

Can we at least get this ticket to be accurate, at this point?

* Change it from "NEEDS YOUR FEEDBACK" to a more accurate status.
        * Correct the "it's now complete" response with something that reflects the actual status.

When is this rolling out? I have You have Microsoft Teams Version 1.0.00.19451 (64-bit). It was last updated on 7/20/17 and do not see this improvement?

• Steven PoessneckerSteven Poessnecker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Rob Wilde. First, how specifically does this work? Is this the "search" for an existing team but you have to be in the "Add Team" function first? Or is the functionality that you are indicating something completely different?

If it is the former, several things that I have issue with this:
        1) I shouldn't have to go to the "Add team" function before I can search for a team. It's not intuitive AT ALL.
        2) I do want to give users the ability to browser through the list of public teams and channels to see what's available. Otherwise, you are relying on people know "what" and "how" to search for the right teams before they create something new.
        1) I h

• Rob WildeRob Wilde commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, as per Debi Randolph's comment below...when will this be available? We are just rolling out Teams in our organisation and confusion around what teams already exist is limiting engagement. Should the "Suggested Teams" page now show all Public Teams available for me to join?

I have version 1.0.00.19451 (64-bit), updated on 7/21/17 but I still don't see this functionality?

• Ron AllenRon Allen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are naming public teams with: [Job Name] [Proposal#] [Job#] we want to search for the P# or the J# and find the team. Currently the only way to find a team is knowing how the team name starts. Example: "The big Job P12345 J54321" if I search 54321 I find nothing, same for 12345. if I search "The" it finds the team. Even better would be a check box in Properties that allows "Search in Team Description also"

I agree with some of the others posting, it needs to be easy to join public teams. A listing of available public teams would be great. Then search would narrow the list.

An admin Should also be able to set what teams are allocated to new users by default.

When you login - you should see an option heading for "all public teams" under favourites, that you can collapse or expand with a link to join next to each team.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base