How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Help us SEARCH and FIND things in Teams

We want improvements to search:

CTRL+F SHORTCUT
I wanto to find messages inside a chat or channel with CTRL+F.
It’ll allow me to quick search messages in a specific conversation.

PARITY TO SKYPE SEARCH
Like in Skype chat, we need to be able to search text strings from conversations

IMPROVE SEARCH RESULTS VIEW
I feel as though the conversation view looks a bit cluttered as is, and conversation threads are not as readily identifiable as I had hoped they would be. Some suggestions are: Add the ability to include a Topic Header for a conversation so that you can easily ID a conversation you are interested in, perhaps alternate the colour theme between conversation threads (i.e. first conversation has a purple background, the next one has a red background, then green, etc.) to very quickly distinguish between threads.

SEARCH WIKI and OneNOTE
Make the search bar also search through content in Wiki and OneNote.

PARTIAL WORD SEARCH
Currently when you perform a search you will only find the exact word you type, but I think it should do at least partial word search, e.g., find the word “categorize” in the word “categorized”.

IMPROVE SEARCH RESULTS
http://www.marksgroup.net/blog/microsoft-teams-global-search-filtering/

Aside from search functions for “Channel”, could we have a better search function for “Chats” too?

The problem is detailed above (the first two comments in the comments section) – usually,
Teams directs us to the words only (for Chats) but what we really needed was the full context, the surrounding conversation on that day. See attachment, where I was looking to be directed to 25 Jan conversation but search only turns up a specific section. How this would have worked better is if users could have clicked on that conversation to jump straight to conversations on 25 Jan.
Also – the search function cannot be filtered by Channels. For example, if you were searching “WIP“, everything regarding “WIP“ on Chats and across channels turns up, even though you’re only looking for it on a specific channel. Filtering does not help as it requires you to type a subject and then it doesn’t turn up what you require. Some improvements in this area would be really great!

1,806 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Júlio Campos shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

130 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Alastair Bor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What exactly would the use case be for a collaboration suite without a search functionality? Who signs off on an MVP?

• SkyeF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be even better if the Search bar on the Office 365 home page could search through ALL 365 applications including Teams.

• Mike Yam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In Skype for Business, we can search people by part of the telephone number. However we cannot do the same in Teams. It would be good if we can search people by different fields such as telephone, title, department, location, etc...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams is a very nice plattform - but without search functionality only worth half as much!

• Danielle Walker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would definitely like to request a search in meeting notes. I would not want to search years and years of notes to find one item. My team is suggesting we move from Teams just due to this missing feature, kind of a bummer

• Bart Stradmeijer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Warren,
        Shame on Microsoft and shame on you!
        Why do we store data? Because we (and others) want to find and use it later!
        That we, as community, have to beg for a feature so basic as search, makes me wonder if Microsoft understands the business it is in. Please get your act together!

(The search request goes way back. Very disappointing. I think many have given up...)

• Michael Getter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No way to search Wiki, Notebooks or Planners attached to a channel. How does anyone finds anything in Teams?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are trying to use the Wiki as a summary of information we need. However there seems to be no way of searching through the wiki for a specific portion of content that is contained inside it

• Bev Kaufman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I definitely need search capability. I know I wrote out a quick spec for a job in a Teams note a few months ago. It was kayoed. Now suddenly the boss wants it yesterday. Only I can't find my notes, which he insisted should be stored in Team instead of sent by email, which has a marvelous text search engine.

• Cameron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on Microsoft. Sharepoint can't paste pictures from clipboard, Teams doesn't have search. It's time to get serious about Knowledge Management. You're so close but you'll keep losing customers to software that has these basic features.

• Rick Krieger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

<Sorry, don't have time to search through all the comments to see if this is a duplicate>

Use Case: I know the name (or part of the name) of a wiki but I don't know which team/channel it is located in. I belong to a lot of teams and it is cumbersome for me to find it by clicking around and looking. I would like to search and then just click the wiki name in the search results would be much faster and would help me stay focused on the task.

• Trevor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I could swear that Teams used to provide context for search results - I don't think I'm dreaming that it used bring me to the surrounding conversation around the message that included the search term.

All I get lately is the exact, individual message returned, in isolation - this is unhelpful, as it's more often that not the surrounding conversation or the subsequent conclusion that I'm looking for, not just the one message in isolation where the term was mentioned.

• sscarcella commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

absolutely need partial word search. we need to search on PO numbers and it wont allow a partial number.

• Graeme Palmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must for me too, just moved to teams from skype, and I can see this being a huge pain - especially with the nested replies hidden under main comments. I really hope this gets added soon. Thanks :)

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

also would love search. how does teams not have stuff skype has had for a decade? MS owns both.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base