How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Help us SEARCH and FIND things in Teams

We want improvements to search:

CTRL+F SHORTCUT
I wanto to find messages inside a chat or channel with CTRL+F.
It’ll allow me to quick search messages in a specific conversation.

PARITY TO SKYPE SEARCH
Like in Skype chat, we need to be able to search text strings from conversations

IMPROVE SEARCH RESULTS VIEW
I feel as though the conversation view looks a bit cluttered as is, and conversation threads are not as readily identifiable as I had hoped they would be. Some suggestions are: Add the ability to include a Topic Header for a conversation so that you can easily ID a conversation you are interested in, perhaps alternate the colour theme between conversation threads (i.e. first conversation has a purple background, the next one has a red background, then green, etc.) to very quickly distinguish between threads.

SEARCH WIKI and OneNOTE
Make the search bar also search through content in Wiki and OneNote.

PARTIAL WORD SEARCH
Currently when you perform a search you will only find the exact word you type, but I think it should do at least partial word search, e.g., find the word “categorize” in the word “categorized”.

518 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Júlio Campos shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

58 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Estolpe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

and be able to reply on conversations in the search (+ be able to click on the comment and actually go to where it was posted, not just the channel)

• Kevin Kuphal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mobile client needs to be able to search for files. Currently (on iOS) it only searches for messages and people. We want to use Teams as a one-stop place for users to find content, especially for company wide information but only web users can search for files. Users can search once they follow the underlying SharePoint site but that requires changing apps and utilizing both SharePoint and/or OneDrive apps in addition to Teams which can be confusing

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need to be able to search teams conversations and get bring you back to conversation at that time. Big feature we miss from Slack...

• Mick Dudley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams messages really need to searchable using the common mechanisms that you would use in any messaging app. e.g.
        in: channel
        after: date
        before: date
        on: date, month, year
        has: link (perhaps even types of links)

AND, OR

NOT -keyword

wildcard key*

Today I searched for an image within a conversation, simply pasted by a team member without any additional text a while ago. Since the image is (a) not listed in the files tab (e.g. rocket-chat does that), and (b) I cannot filter for messages from a certain user without typing some text, I had no option than scrolling down through **** to find the image again.

You really got to improve on the search!

• Steve Minar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fix/improve UI for Team search as well.
        We find it's often difficult to locate public teams. When you enter in the search text box, it appears to show you Teams that match your search term, but as soon as you hit enter, you are limited to the interface with "Messages, People, Files" at the top, with filtering below it. The makes search for a specific Team difficult.

How do others find Public (and Private) teams via search?

• Nancy Talan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My biggest issue is that I would like to go directly to the section of the chat where the search term appears. If this took place far back in history, I'm scrolling up forever. Clicking on "Go to the chat" just takes you to the end of the chat, it should take you to the spot in the chat where the search term appears.

• Fabien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi i'm in Teams 1.0.00.25152 (64 bits), we absolutely need to search in conversation.

For MS DEV TEAMS : Have you a deadline/Or project about this feature ?

Thank you.

• Steve Minar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just found out that search doesn't index partial words. Really? That's crippling. I have been trying to find a handful of past conversations using part of a word or phrase and coming up empty. I thought search was broken and was about to call support. In my view, it is broken!

This is really basic search capability. Please turn on complete search indexing for Teams content!

• Nils commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While I can only chime in to the general sentiment, it is the partial word search that is seriously hindering adoption. People find it hard to understand that a search for i.e. "car" doesn't yield any results and the need to enter "cars".

It is hard to believe that searching in conversations was not MVP for teams. Is there a date?

• Kevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a Sharepoint tab, need to be able to Search within the Sharepoint files.

• Mike G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I search Teams, the Messages and People search work fine. The Files search returns what looks like all files.

I can search a term that doesn't exist, such as "thisdoesnotexist" and several files are returned.

If I Open in SharePoint, the search works as I would expect.

• Berney Villers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to have the ability to search a specific channel or conversation rather than having to search everything.

This would for sure be very useful when a pdf or word document has been opened in a tab.
        As is I can search files using the search field in the left top most corner and it does find my file. But when I click it and it is opened inside Teams I cant use Ctrl + F to find my match.
        This removes totally the argument for putting files inside teams..

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base