How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Help us SEARCH and FIND things in Teams

We want improvements to search:

CTRL+F SHORTCUT
I wanto to find messages inside a chat or channel with CTRL+F.
It’ll allow me to quick search messages in a specific conversation.

PARITY TO SKYPE SEARCH
Like in Skype chat, we need to be able to search text strings from conversations

IMPROVE SEARCH RESULTS VIEW
I feel as though the conversation view looks a bit cluttered as is, and conversation threads are not as readily identifiable as I had hoped they would be. Some suggestions are: Add the ability to include a Topic Header for a conversation so that you can easily ID a conversation you are interested in, perhaps alternate the colour theme between conversation threads (i.e. first conversation has a purple background, the next one has a red background, then green, etc.) to very quickly distinguish between threads.

SEARCH WIKI and OneNOTE
Make the search bar also search through content in Wiki and OneNote.

PARTIAL WORD SEARCH
Currently when you perform a search you will only find the exact word you type, but I think it should do at least partial word search, e.g., find the word “categorize” in the word “categorized”.

IMPROVE SEARCH RESULTS
http://www.marksgroup.net/blog/microsoft-teams-global-search-filtering/

Aside from search functions for “Channel”, could we have a better search function for “Chats” too?

The problem is detailed above (the first two comments in the comments section) – usually,
Teams directs us to the words only (for Chats) but what we really needed was the full context, the surrounding conversation on that day. See attachment, where I was looking to be directed to 25 Jan conversation but search only turns up a specific section. How this would have worked better is if users could have clicked on that conversation to jump straight to conversations on 25 Jan.
Also – the search function cannot be filtered by Channels. For example, if you were searching “WIP“, everything regarding “WIP“ on Chats and across channels turns up, even though you’re only looking for it on a specific channel. Filtering does not help as it requires you to type a subject and then it doesn’t turn up what you require. Some improvements in this area would be really great!

2,522 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Júlio Campos shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
planned  ·  Warren responded  · 

This feature request has moved to the planning stage. There have also been several small updates that have gone out already, as well.

I’ll keep you posted as I hear more about coming updates.

-Warren

169 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • ssi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Search in Teams is utter and total garbage. Makes Teams untenable for big projects shared across companies.

• Mark Wright commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The final point to display chat search results in context is imperative to make the search feature useful. To be able to find a search term in a large chat is really good, but to not be able to navigate to that location in the chat to see the context in which that post was made, makes the results of absolutely no use what so ever.

Please ensure this feature is added.

Thanks.

• Joseph Dunphy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Use case: we have a channel for seeking out MS Teams support-based questions. It's difficult for someone to search quickly in that channel to see if a similar question has already been asked due to the existing two step process (need to search the variable first > then on the results page start adding filters)

Would be fantastic if the ctrl+f function defaulted to searching within the channel/chat you're currently on so it could be used as a quick way to skim that particular screen for similar content and drive up search adoption for new users

• Erik Toft commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Holy fu..er...shi...cra... - ok trying to be nice here. I'm really new to Teams, but dang! No decent search facility leaves this thing very restricted from a real world functionality perspective.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The inefficiency of the search is really annoying. Could you please rush the updates?!

• Ian McLaughlin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WORKAROUND: open web version of teams in chrome and hey presto, ctrl F can now be used to search individual chats and docs

• Ashley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't figure out how to search for text in a Word document when I'm viewing it through Teams. I have to download it every time, which is kind of annoying. (The doc is updated regularly, so I want to make sure I'm using the latest version.)

Hi Team any chance on getting an update on when this is going to be rolled out ?

Thanks

Jason

• Philip Cogswell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is utterly incomprehensible that anyone would consider releasing a Knowledge Management tool without a search facility.

• Kevin House commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lack of search on Wiki or OneNote is making them pretty much useless to my team. Please give an ETA for this.

• Guy Coletta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not having wiki search capability is a huge hole. When is the expected date we can expect this capability.

You should also be able to control the "scope" of search. Limit search to:
    - Chats
    - Activities
    - Files
    - Teams
    - Channels
    - Calls

Or any combination of the above. More granular search capabilities with provide the user with better results rather than getting everything from everywhere all the time.

The search currently is completely useless. I search for a keyword in a chat which I know is there for a fact, and no search results ever appear.

@warren I recommend you guys issue a patch for this urgently -- there's no hope for Teams to compete with products like Slack with this bug. It's a critically important feature.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base