How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Help us SEARCH and FIND things in Teams

We want improvements to search:

CTRL+F SHORTCUT
I wanto to find messages inside a chat or channel with CTRL+F.
It’ll allow me to quick search messages in a specific conversation.

PARITY TO SKYPE SEARCH
Like in Skype chat, we need to be able to search text strings from conversations

IMPROVE SEARCH RESULTS VIEW
I feel as though the conversation view looks a bit cluttered as is, and conversation threads are not as readily identifiable as I had hoped they would be. Some suggestions are: Add the ability to include a Topic Header for a conversation so that you can easily ID a conversation you are interested in, perhaps alternate the colour theme between conversation threads (i.e. first conversation has a purple background, the next one has a red background, then green, etc.) to very quickly distinguish between threads.

SEARCH WIKI and OneNOTE
Make the search bar also search through content in Wiki and OneNote.

PARTIAL WORD SEARCH
Currently when you perform a search you will only find the exact word you type, but I think it should do at least partial word search, e.g., find the word “categorize” in the word “categorized”.

267 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Júlio CamposJúlio Campos shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

45 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mike GMike G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I search Teams, the Messages and People search work fine. The Files search returns what looks like all files.

I can search a term that doesn't exist, such as "thisdoesnotexist" and several files are returned.

If I Open in SharePoint, the search works as I would expect.

• Berney VillersBerney Villers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to have the ability to search a specific channel or conversation rather than having to search everything.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would for sure be very useful when a pdf or word document has been opened in a tab.
        As is I can search files using the search field in the left top most corner and it does find my file. But when I click it and it is opened inside Teams I cant use Ctrl + F to find my match.
        This removes totally the argument for putting files inside teams..

• FrankFrank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the other responses. The search capability is absolutely necessary.

• NilsNils commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wholeheartedly agree: Being able to not only see which OneNote notebook some keyword is in is crucial; ideally klicking the search result would take me straight to the page in the notebook.

• BenBen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am considering moving all my content to Teams - the one thing keeping me back is that I can't search OneNote. I'm part of another team where all staff meeting notes are taken in OneNote Teams and now - several quarters later I'm trying to find reference to a new policy and It's driving me nuts that I can't search. I can't eve use the CTRL F function to search content on a page. How can you build a repository of Notes without the ability to search them?

Definitely need a search function within conversation walls for teams... how is this not here already!

• AndyAndy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To find a file I assumed I'd just type in the search field.
        Yes this does work BUT it took me a while to notice something.

The first thing you see is a "no result" message, which is very frustrating and puts people off using Teams. Finding files is key to any Team.

BUT upon closer inspection I can see results are are filtered as either messages (by default); people or files.

Searching on Onenote is so much simpler and intuative. The current search feature makes you think the product is somehow broken.

• Thomas WellsThomas Wells commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our IT department informed us that this feature will require that users have access to the root site collection. They do not want to give this access to all users. Please update the search so that it doesn't require root collection access.

• NickNick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree there should be search right from teams but please note that you could always open the full OneNote notebook and search.

• Tommy SkaueTommy Skaue commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really wish MS Teams would be able to index the files in any of the document libraries added as tabs to channels. Now it only indexes files in the Groups Site Document Library.

Same here...it is difficult to get everyone on board with Teams if the search functionality is not "smart". I have files with identical words in filename but it will only show 1 of them instead of all results. partial word search will be great to have.

• PaulPaul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are also leveraging OneNote in Teams and it would be great for the search engine to also include OneNote content.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base