How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Help us SEARCH and FIND things in Teams

We want improvements to search:

CTRL+F SHORTCUT
I wanto to find messages inside a chat or channel with CTRL+F.
It’ll allow me to quick search messages in a specific conversation.

PARITY TO SKYPE SEARCH
Like in Skype chat, we need to be able to search text strings from conversations

IMPROVE SEARCH RESULTS VIEW
I feel as though the conversation view looks a bit cluttered as is, and conversation threads are not as readily identifiable as I had hoped they would be. Some suggestions are: Add the ability to include a Topic Header for a conversation so that you can easily ID a conversation you are interested in, perhaps alternate the colour theme between conversation threads (i.e. first conversation has a purple background, the next one has a red background, then green, etc.) to very quickly distinguish between threads.

SEARCH WIKI and OneNOTE
Make the search bar also search through content in Wiki and OneNote.

PARTIAL WORD SEARCH
Currently when you perform a search you will only find the exact word you type, but I think it should do at least partial word search, e.g., find the word “categorize” in the word “categorized”.

IMPROVE SEARCH RESULTS
http://www.marksgroup.net/blog/microsoft-teams-global-search-filtering/

Aside from search functions for “Channel”, could we have a better search function for “Chats” too?

The problem is detailed above (the first two comments in the comments section) – usually,
Teams directs us to the words only (for Chats) but what we really needed was the full context, the surrounding conversation on that day. See attachment, where I was looking to be directed to 25 Jan conversation but search only turns up a specific section. How this would have worked better is if users could have clicked on that conversation to jump straight to conversations on 25 Jan.
Also – the search function cannot be filtered by Channels. For example, if you were searching “WIP“, everything regarding “WIP“ on Chats and across channels turns up, even though you’re only looking for it on a specific channel. Filtering does not help as it requires you to type a subject and then it doesn’t turn up what you require. Some improvements in this area would be really great!

2,130 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Júlio Campos shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  Warren responded  · 

This feature request has moved to the planning stage. There have also been several small updates that have gone out already, as well.

I’ll keep you posted as I hear more about coming updates.

-Warren

147 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just wish that when we search and find the message, it allow us to go back to the chat history of that time/date rather than show the 1 message where I found it.

Very frustrating as I know it's on that date but there's NO easy way to search the history log of that date/time.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The search feature is awful and really lets Teams down! I need to be able to search in just a Conversation or a particular Channel - however each time it searches everything. I also found a Filter facility which is brilliant but impossible to find. Can this be made easier to access. Maybe positioned next to the search bar at the top.

A really strict minimum would be to add an option to search with or WITHOUT "whole word"!

Pls add the basic functionality to search single chats or team chats (Strg+F)... very hard to find certain things in your chat compared to skype etc...

I really hope these features get rolled out. I am particularly interested in the Wiki search capability. Seems kind of pointless to use the wiki much if you cannot search through the content.

• Michael Kirzhner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think in general there need to be more advanced search features. Once again please see how Slack implemented and allow action words that allow you to search for specific things i.e. Folder:***, Channel:aaa, File:aaa, FileType:.xlsx etc.

• A. R. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A central search with filters for Wiki and Planner app content in MS Teams is really a must to use the features efficiently"

• Roy F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why do so many post about Teams not having search? It has search and it searches within messages, people and files, including OneNote. I believe improvements are needed, but search is there and it works.

I've seen numerous people search for something within a file and, when the messages tab doesn't show the file results, they conclude Search doesn't search within files; they don't realize you have to click on the Files tab to see those results. Perhaps that is happening to many?

Proposed Improvements:
        o Change search results to show all results in one list.
        o Replace search result tabs with check boxes to show/remove unwanted results; i.e. Messages, People and Files all checked by default, uncheck those you want to remove.
        o Provide result count next to each category (e.g. [x] Messages (12) [x] People (0) [x] Files (3).
        o Default Filter to current Team and Channel when a search is initiated from a Channel. The filter is displayed at the top of search results and it is a single click to remove the filters.
        o Channel should be added as a Files filter.

• Sasha Rosenbaum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not sure if channel search is part of the planned feature, but it should be
        This is crucial because searching everything is near-useless when the search term is common. Imagine searching all of Teams (I am already in 40 or so) for the word "meeting" or the word "address". Searching within a particular channel or user chat history would let me see only what is relevant.

• Jonathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Search is poorly designed. If doing global across app search as your method, allow for bollean or plain text modifiers like person, channel, teams combos like "Sarah" AND "Session" for example.

If trying to merge search and commands in one box provide it on the feature level (Chat, Team, Channel, Files). And the tabs Messages, Files, People... really? I can search a person a dozen other ways. Search in Teams is terrible.

All my staff complain and want to go back to slack.

I could not agree more with the earlier statement: 'It would be even better if the Search bar on the Office 365 home page could search through ALL 365 applications including Teams.'

• LisaK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

New to Teams and I tried really hard to keep an open mind but this is without a doubt the most useless search I have ever seen. I cannot believe that Microsoft thought "whole word only" searches was acceptable. Who does your beta testing? Or even your alpha testing that this ever got mass released? It's becoming more and more evident that Microsoft does not care about their customers and giving them what they need but rather what Microsoft is telling us what we need. Teams is a pile of elephant dung!

Definitly need partial search. If too complicated for the every day person, please add control characters for search. e.g. *, % + - (for 'and' 'or' capability)

• Alastair Bor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What exactly would the use case be for a collaboration suite without a search functionality? Who signs off on an MVP?

• SkyeF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be even better if the Search bar on the Office 365 home page could search through ALL 365 applications including Teams.

• Mike Yam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In Skype for Business, we can search people by part of the telephone number. However we cannot do the same in Teams. It would be good if we can search people by different fields such as telephone, title, department, location, etc...

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base