How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Display 'user is typing' indication also in Teams area

While there's an indication of the user that's actively typing in the Chat area, I'd like to have this in the Teams area as well

427 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Axel BehrensAxel Behrens shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  SuphatraAdminSuphatra (Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

Hi everyone! Many of you had emailed me when we rolled out “show user actively typing” in the chat area, that you’d like this in the channels area too. I’ve merged the tickets together to help you build support for this idea, and I’ve also sent it into engineering for a review.

Keep submitting your thoughts on this item and encouraging others to vote. Its a great idea.

Suphatra
    Microsoft Teams

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an example of a feature that have the ability to be switched off as well. You may not want this in a chat were the client is watching you formulate a response.

• garimagarima commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes definatly helpful. just to make sure someone read your comment and is responding inplace of ignoring

• CarolleCarolle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That'd be great! I love this feature in SfB and I've to see it in Teams too!

• toddtodd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is definitely a big help when doing Q&A and a dealbreaker for one of our team members.

• Aaron EllisAaron Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this needs to go hand in hand with a read to feature like there is in chat. Seeing which teammates have read to where in a conversation is also valuable information.

• Kyle LipkinKyle Lipkin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make it so that we can see when users are posting/replying to messages within the channels and not just within a chat.

It would be nice to see when conversations are being replied to.

Thanks,
        Kyle

• Axel BehrensAxel Behrens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Suphatra, I'm talking about the 'Teams' area where I don't get a typing indication. In the Chat area it's working well.

• Godd4rdGodd4rd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

:+1: i agree knowing if someone is there, typing back to you is really useful. It helps you to decide if you should stick around in the team window or go off and do other things.

• Chris RossChris Ross commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very much a proponent of this request. The indicator provides valuable feedback - knowing people are still there and engaged.

• GCardallGCardall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In Spark, it was super-useful, especially in a work environment, to be able to see which team member was currently typing a message, so the entire Team wasn't typing/submitting messages all over each other. This is very useful especially when questions were asked - instead of 5 people responding at the same time, we could see who started typing and let them submit before adding to the conversation.

• MelindaMelinda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Each of us works in a completely separate environment so we utilize chat exclusively when we are talking on the phone with a customer and knowing someone is responding immediately to our requests is important to us. We used to have that small indication at the bottom that someone was at least typing back so we knew someone saw our correspondence and replying.

Feedback and Knowledge Base