How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Upload a file to Teams directly from a desktop Office application

When I am creating a new file in an Office document I want there to be an option in the "Save as" location, to save to an Microsoft Team, similar to how there are options to save to your OneDrive, OneDrive for Business, and This PC locations. Right now I either have to remember to create the file from Teams or to create the file on my PC and then upload it manually to Teams.

211 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Silvio Pellas shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

29 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can save to Teams from Word if you Copy the SharePoint link from Teams under the Tab you plan to use and then open up Word and go to Save As. You will need to select your Site and paste the link into the Address Bar.

• Tristan Floor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this. Saving files directly in team channels from every open/save dialog in explorer or office apps.

This way you can have teams as a single point of file share. Get rid of driveletter file shares and not putting files on places outside the teams channels. As y go u can simply do by accident right now when mapping sharepoint sites to explorer.

• Jon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Coming up to a year since the backlog comment was made.

Any update on when this feature, which would remove a lot of user frustration and help drive user adoption, will be available

• Ronin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not sure if I understand this. I use MS Office 365 and use MS Teams but I can not take a file from an e-mail and put it directly into teams?

I would love to meet that program compatibility team that designed this.

The "Upload" option, which allows you to save email attachments to an O365 Group was semi-useful but now O365 Groups are now hidden from Outlook-> Groups. Prior to this feature when you created a Team the creation of the O365 Group was visible in Outlook->Groups.

The -hidden feature was added to avoid confusion, i.e. "where do I save my attachment, to the Group or the Team?" but in reality has now hamstrung Teams adoption unless you go in via PowerShell and change the -hidden option.

The use case "Save Attachment to Team" seems like such a basic thing (I understand that it may be a pain from a coding perspective but to not have this feature and with the only true work around to save the file locally, open up your Team and drag the file into it, just causes users to continue to use email as their storage area for files/attachments).

• Narendra Vasan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Warren,

Please let us know if this feature has been implemented in Teams. This would be an amazing feature where user can save his files directly to teams. Right now, they are saving to desktop & drag & drop to teams which is tedious.

• John Sullivan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're pushing for people to use Teams, and users are asking for this. Forcing people to save somewhere else and then upload seems very out-of-date.

• Sandra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a a point of frustration with our users as well in terms of user adoption.

• Joe G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Warren - any update? This is a sticking point for me in working to shift my user community towards MS Teams and away from BOX. This would seem to be very basic functionality as it already exists for SharePoint, quite surprising that it hasn't been worked-out yet.

I cant believe that this is not getting more priority. Every time I go to move something from email to teams I find myself getting so frustrated. Is it really that hard to have it that we can drag a file from an email directly to a team? Grrrr

• Ven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Warren,
    Any update upon this feature?
    Crucial for the company I work for, before we can implement.
    Thanks

• Holly Parkes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi there, is this being worked through by any chance? Would be amazing to be able to save direct to the teams folder rather than save to my computer and then upload...

• Drew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with wanting the ability to save Teams location folder path to File Explorer so its easy to save file right away to that folder. Can't believe Microsoft didn't make this standard, it was standard in legacy sharepoint.

• GraniteStateColin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be convenient. It is possible now through using the SharePoint path name, but most people don't know how to access this to add it to the Save As dialog. I think this request really means: please provide an automated way to add the SharePoint folder associated with a team to the file dialog (whether through the Quick List Favorites or some other method).

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.