How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Go native for Desktop

Please, for the love of sweet candy, go native on Desktop platforms.

I'm looking for an alternative for Slack as it uses electron which sucks every last bit of RAM it possibly can before destroying your computer in a sweet sweet fire. After seeing the wonderful performance of Office I was really hoping this would be native!

Please, someone with the development experience and financial backing of Microsoft must be able to accomplish this in your sleep. Surely?

53 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

lukehebb shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Lukasz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely agree - i'm using teams at work, 8 hours per day. It's unusable, especially when you have many chats (when it's a primary messaging app in company you get a lot of). Sometimes the whole window blinks, usually you need to wait at lest a second when you switch the chat, a lot of micro freezes, crashes and it needs too much resources. It's frustrating to use it and we are talking about basic feature - messaging. It's sad that in 2018 we have performance issues with messaging application. First you killed skype, same issues with teams. Slack is also not native but it's not such performance problematic as teams. IMHO current version never should be released to public.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree I am having numerous problems with TEAMS. I got a message from Symantec stating Excessive Memory Use and it was TEAMS. Looking at the file it came from I saw Squirrel which is part of Electron. I do not want it on the WEB and I am sure others don't either! You are dragging our systems down.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot echo these thoughts and comments more.

I barely works and is super sluggish and buggy.

Please have the iOS Team re-write the desktop app as it is great on iOS.

• Nick R. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using Electron for Teams is insane. I've got an i7 8550 and having Teams, with one chat open, idling means that my CPU is at 20%. It integrates poorly with headsets (I can't pick up or hang up calls with my hardware) and it provides terrible audio quality. All these problems can be *simply* and *quickly* avoided by building a proper client from the ground up with the right team, instead of throwing a bunch of web frontend developers at a very backend problem.

• Ember Quill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please go native! Or at least try to improve performance a bit. Teams runs like frozen molasses on our company's VDIs.

• Michael Del Corso commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's also killing us that teams still uses Electron 1.7.x which is based on Chromium 58.... which is disallowed on our network because it's a huge security risk. PLEASE get this thing upgraded! If Yammer Desktop can use Electron 1.8.x, so can teams!

Feedback and Knowledge Base