How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Battery life on iOS & Android

According to iOS Battery report, Teams is responsible for 24% of my battery usage. I am not actively running or using the program, so I assume this is related to background tasks / notifications.

45 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Aaron E shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
needs your feedback  ·  Warren responded  · 

There have been some updates released in the past months that should help reduce battery drain.

That being said, I need your feedback to find out if you feel it has improved or if you feel the drain is still pretty large. Please leave me comments and call out which mobile OS you are using.

(NOTE: having notifications on and having a very active team and also greatly reduce battery life due to the constant notifications. You may wish to try and turn off notifications in some cases to help preserve battery. )

Please provide me your feedback so I can communicate it to the feature team.
-Warren

20 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm experiencing significant battery usage during Teams calls. I just went from 90% battery down to 37% battery during 1.5 hour meeting. It also seems to use significant charge when running in background but i don't have conclusive evidence of that yet. Notifications are disabled.

My cellular connection was 2-3 bars out of 4, so I don't know if that had an impact. I will pay more attention to how standard calls affect battery charge but it really feels like more recent versions of Teams has been killing my charge more than it used to.

iPhone 7 iOS 12.1.4 (16D57)
    Teams 1.0.69 build: 1.077.2019030803 (general)

• Sebastian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i'm having the same issues with the iOS Apps. 15min Conference took 10 % of my battery

• Steven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was on a teams call and the battery drained from 100% to 13% on 45 minutes of Teams calls on iOS

• Vandan Desai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On a full 100% charge, and not using the iPad (i.e. the iPad was ideal) for a period of 14 hours, Teams usage for 2 hours and 24 minutes, and the battery consumption was 94%.

What background activity is teams doing to use so much of batter even when the iPad is not being used?

A fair comparison can be made with WhatsApp - another constantly-on app which, for me, generates a lot more information. Teams consumes twice more power.

Notifications turned off, Background App Refresh turned off, didn't use the application over the weekend only to find that Teams used 50 minutes of background time over the last day. I'd say it's not significantly improved.

I have the same issue with the battery. May be you should include an option to disable notifications outside working hours

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We converted to Teams from Slack. The battery drain has caused all of our team members to uninstall the Teams app from their phones. We may have to go back to Slack.

• Nate Atkinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still the #1 battery draining app on my phone, and I don't hardly ever use it. All background activity. This is ridiculous.

Even with backgrouns tasks turned off on my iPhone, the app remains a real battery hog. This happens even if I kill the app in the app switcher. I have the same issue on my iPad as well...

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

30 minutes video call on teams/ios (both latests, up2date) = from 100% to 25% battery... phone gets hot as well. :-(
    No improvements over the last year... the problem was and is there...

• user commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a screenshot with Teams consuming 37% of my iPhone’s Energy

24時間以内のバッテリー使用状況が64%でした。お昼にTeamsで投稿して、仕事中はスタンバイにしていたのですが、夜にはバッテリー不足でiPadが使えなくなりました。

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue on both Mac, Windows10, iPad pro and iPhone.... CPU high, battery drain.
    Mainly when you have calls with Video enabled.

Feedback and Knowledge Base