How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Search Public and Private Teams

Users report its very difficult for their peers to find a team that they have created. This hinders their ability to increase team membership.

---

Other users report its frustrating that they can't just search ALL the teams at their organization -- that only a small fraction are surfaced to them in their "Suggested" view.

---

The capability to view Public Teams when you click on "Create Team" is great.

HOWEVER... it would be a better user experience if there was a prominent button or link called "Search for Teams".

Teams needs this discovery capability to avoid the duplication of Team areas for large organisations.

Further to this it would be advantageous to list not only public Teams but also private Teams.

386 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Simon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
working on it  ·  Warren responded  · 

Unfortunately we hit some snags and this has moved back to “working on it”. The team is working to make some corrections and I hope to have a release date in the near future. I’ll keep you posted with what I hear.
-Warren

63 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Steve Minar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am OK with public search of team name and description across both public and private teams, with an invite workflow for requesting and approving team membership.

Another solution would be supporting 3 options:
    1) Private - no public search, owner / admin adds members
    2) Semi Private - anyone can search for the team / see it in a list and request membership. Approval required for participation.
    3) Public Groups

On a related note, it's really non-intuitive and a problem that global admins can't see all teams.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow the browsing of both public AND private teams. For private teams, if someone requests to add, just make an owner approve it.

Without being able to see the list of existing teams, the default human behavior is to create a new one, as my desired team obviously doesn't exist. This completely defeats the intended purpose of teams.

• Mads Laksø commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our company have the same issue, really a showstopper since it prevents users from finding the teams to join. High Priority.
    Thank you,

This is REALLY important. Users of Teams have no way of finding channels when they are private. And in our business they are all Private invite only. So unless you favorite at the point of invite you can never find a team again!

• Brage commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My Suggested teams show no teams at all. I have to search..

• Jerry Jackson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I made a public team, some people at my organisation could join it, others said they couldn't. I came to their desks to show them "how easy it is" to join the team.. only to see that they couldn't find the team.
    This is very annoying because I made the teams public so colleagues could join as they need to.. but no, I still have to add (some) of them.

Should the behavior be when a user clicks Add Team, the user should be able to see ALL Public Teams or just the Suggested Teams? Is there a limit to how many Public Teams can be displayed in the window?

• Ryan Marchant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very frustrating. Many users are complaining because public teams are not easily discoverable. The suggested teams page occasionally recommends a public team, presumably, based on signals. However, it doesn't show all public teams. Users can sometime fine the public team by using the search option at the top right of the suggested teams page. However, they are not always able to find the public team. There needs to be a way for users to browse all available public teams. I suggest having all public teams available to join on the suggested teams page. If you want to list recommendations from signals at the top, great ... but we need some way of browsing all public teams.

• Ryan Marchant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very frustrating. Many users are complaining because public teams are not easily discoverable. The suggested teams page occasionally recommends a public team, presumably, based on signals. However, it doesn't show all public teams. Users can sometime fine the public team by using the search option at the top right of the suggested teams page. However, they are not always able to find the public team. There needs to be a way for users to browse all available public teams. I suggest having all public teams available to join on the suggested teams page. If you want to list recommendations from signals at the top, great ... but we need some way of browsing all public teams.

This is the biggest stumbling block I run into we get to the Teams portion of our monthly O365 trainings. It's a horrible user experience that I have to direct user to go to the +Add Team button, then use the search box on the RIGHT side of the screen - NOT THE SEARCH BOX ON THE LEFT - to find public teams.

I spend 5-10 minutes walking around leaning over shoulders pointing this out. Then shrugging and smiling when they ask, "Why are there two search boxes?" and "Why do I use +Add Team to look for already created Teams?"

• Ivan.Morrison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

its a random thing - I have some that are very much public appear and all is good - some simply dont. I know when I personally create - they never appear - tracking to see if its persona related.

• Fab commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

where do you see a list of public teams when you hit create team? It doesn't list public teams for me.

• Drew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a really good change - as it stands right now, there is no way to find communities of interest inside an organization. You must explicitly know the team to join, even if the team is public.

• Matt C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are seeing the same issue. When you click "add team" you see a suggested teams page that should be listing public teams and none of our public teams are showing up for users to join. Would really like to see this fixed.

• Jeff Erickson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our "Suggested teams" page does not show all the available public teams. If I already know the name of the team I am looking for I can sometimes find it with the search box on the suggested teams page. However that does not always work. I have searched for teams that others have told me are public and not been able to find them.

• Dennis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hit the same issue for the public team I created today.
    Also, the hyperlink to the team generated with the "Get link to team" command did not work for some users in our organization, which was confusing and required manual addition of users. Feel free to contact me privately in case of any questions.

We ran into the same issue. It took about 24 hours for the Public Teams to show. The users could search for the Public Team and join. However this caused some confusion.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.