How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Search Public and Private Teams

Users report its very difficult for their peers to find a team that they have created. This hinders their ability to increase team membership.

---

Other users report its frustrating that they can't just search ALL the teams at their organization -- that only a small fraction are surfaced to them in their "Suggested" view.

---

The capability to view Public Teams when you click on "Create Team" is great.

HOWEVER... it would be a better user experience if there was a prominent button or link called "Search for Teams".

Teams needs this discovery capability to avoid the duplication of Team areas for large organisations.

Further to this it would be advantageous to list not only public Teams but also private Teams.

386 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Simon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
working on it  ·  Warren responded  · 

Unfortunately we hit some snags and this has moved back to “working on it”. The team is working to make some corrections and I hope to have a release date in the near future. I’ll keep you posted with what I hear.
-Warren

63 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Shaun Wells commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm finding that in one of my tenants there is no suggestions and the ability to search returns 0 results for some users.. At least Public Teams should be made available by Default in some order, then allow the users to browse or search for a particular team. I feel this is what is expected by most users of any Chat tool. Don't try and be to clever about making suggestions, that's all well and good but most users, know what Teams they want to join...

• Zahra Badaroudine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same thing here. I want to be able to search the list of Teams within the organization. How would I know that there's a particular interest team (especially if it has a name that is not obvious)?

It's been a year since the last update. Are you still working on this?

Otherwise, I'm guessing the Organization's Office 365 admin would have access to a list of Teams, no? Could they publish it somewhere? It would be better than the current state of affairs (no discovery at all).

• Glenn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates on this? Our users only see teams they are a member of within Teams, and can only find those if they use the exact team name. We need to be able to allow them to search Public Teams to join and private ones granted discover-ability via settings.

This setting for Discovery does not show up in any of our Team settings as well. Am I missing something here?

• WTT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is blowing my mind. It's just IMPOSSIBLE for the average user to find teams, as they have to type the EXACT team name in the search bar if the team doesn't show up (usually the case). The search function is broken, it should work like any 'normal' search function and show any result that contains the search string. At this point I can already see the nightmare unfold when we'd implement Teams...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously cannot prevent sprawl or promote collaboration without knowing what groups are out there. Update, please!

• Andy Z. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add a config Button to a private Team to make it discoverable in Search. Only if this config Setting is set, a private Team will appear in a search for a Team. Per default, a private Team should be non-searchable.
    A List of all searchable Teams should be available, like all public Teams and all private Teams with the "discoverable" config flag set.

• Aaron Hatton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We had an interesting issue with this today, we had a user searching for a team called "Global Cat lovers" (name changed for example) but was searching "Cat lovers" and it was returning no results. Once they searched "Global cat" it showed the team.

This really needs to be improved, perhaps even a feature which says "Public teams suggested for you" based on what your colleagues are using (information pulled from the org tree)

• Sebastian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently the list of public teams only shows a small subset of the teams that are actually public. The page should indicate that there are more public teams, maybe including a button "show more" or at least a hint that more public teams can be found using search.

• Kevin Gutierrez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks like a useful app, but I would really hope that the application is either integrated with O-365 searches or at least has the ability to use boolean searches, so we can respond to public records requests. Unless there is a good function to search for public records, I am afraid that I would not be able to use TEAMS.

• Christoph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just to be clear: what exactly is being worked on here? Is it what was originally requested in the OP or what Suphatra described in her post, i.e. the invite link workaround?

• Stace Hamilton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to list public teams to join in a directory format would be beneficial to our new hires who have no idea what is available to them.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.