How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

IRC Gateway

Slack has an IRC gateway that can be used cross platform for any OS that has IRC. (Windows, Linux, Unix, BSD, etc.) No need for native clients.

294 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ben shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

38 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is absolutely necessary. Organizations make the decisions that fit the bulk of users. Those of us that do not fit in the "bulk bin" need an avenue to stay connected and this is it.

Kind of tired of needing a myriad different chat clients to support various platforms and then having to find workarounds for mac and linux desktops. IRC support would be a big plus

• fmobus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hahahaha cool idea, I would honestly love to use it, but let's be real, it will absolutely never happen.

• Jeremy Echols commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Plus that, you know what's great about IRC? It's *keyboard accessible*. Sick of being forced to use apps that are terrible for keyboard-only users.

• Jeremy Echols commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even a barebones implementation would really help out those of us who are already running way too many separate communication platforms.

• Art C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Upvote this please. I don't want to have a half dozen different client software running. Adopting standard protocols such as IRC and XMPP makes everything easier to consolidate.

Now that Slack has closed off its IRC and XMPP gateways, MS should add it to Teams to teach them a lesson. It would be a great value added feature & used to lure customers away from Slack.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

XMPP suport is a dealbreaker for users on cross-platform or who do not want to bloat their system with heavy clients. One central communication client is a life saver.

• Hrvoje Kusulja commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Skype for Business server had XMPP / IRC option, but now Microsoft Teams does not have it..., please implement and open it to outside world federation ....

Yes please! IRC is so much more efficient than MS-Team in a browser. (and using ms-teams with electron is close to unusable).
    (One OpenSUSE + hexchat representative)

• Need more IRC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please please please Warren! We need eyes on this. This is incredibly important to anyone seriously considering replacing any tried and true solution!

• Clovis McDougle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same issue as others, our Open Source team use IRC and we have to have Hexchat to talk to them and Teams for others. A IRC gateway and/or teams Linux client is a must.

• Greg Wallner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We recently changed from Jabber to Teams , but if i cant use IRC it dont have much value for me.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base