How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Channel Limit (Increase beyond 200 limit)

We have run into a situation on a team, let's call it "Vendors" where we post data on vendors that we use. We set up a channel for each vendor but have "reached the limit" on the number of channels in a team. Is this something that can be controlled through an admin panel or is there another way to increase/remove the limit.

230 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As mentioned in the prior status, the channel limit was raised from 100 to 200.

In the near future a retention limit will be set so you can still go back and reinstate a channel you had deleted. Once the retention period has expired then the channel will get a hard delete which will free up the space and no longer count toward the 200 channel limit.

This will help with some of the issues you have voiced in the comments below.
    But I understand many of you wish the limit to be further increased. I will continue to provide your votes and comments to the feature team.

-Warren

67 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add me to the contingent looking to use a Channel per project (we add approx. 10-15 per week). Also would like to be able to archive if desired.

• Jonathan W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are using a Channel per project. At the moment we have 140 projects. We are going to hit the limit soon and I really think that the limit should be lifted. Why is there a limit anyway? Surely since a Doc Library can contain 30mil items there should be no issues with it having 10000, 1000000 or 1mil folders (Channels)?

how to hard delete them manually, we are stuck now not able to create any more channels, not sure if we should continue to use MS Teams.

• Josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please increase this limit, it's a problem exacerbated by the fact that Teams still doesn't support archiving old channels. There are lots of reasons (including legal reasons) why organizations would not want to delete information in unused channels

Please give an update. Is MS planning to increase the limit or remove it completely?
        thanks for the response :)

Timo

• Chris Tobin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a problem where I only have 135 channels but MS Teams say's I have reached my max limit and won't let me enter anymore.

what king of a company would use this just for 200 users?? If you're aim are the small companies, i think this is a very poor focus area...

we are using channels for jobs, so we are likely to have 900-1000 /month, we could create a new team(group) for each month but thats the only workaround we can think of.. i think the limit should be removed

this is very disappointing we had no idea of this 200 limit we are almost reach there for many areas of the company.. this limit should be removed

• Steve O'Shea commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A maximum of 200 channels per team is extremely limiting, coupled with no facility to move channels to different teams make the product all but unworkable.

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was shocked to discover this 200 channel limit. Our one division was on Slack and they do not have a channel limit. Now we look a little foolish having pushed everyone to Teams.

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The fact that this has already been increased shows that it is an arbitrary limit, not a fundamental one. Ideally, all arbitrary limits should be removed, as there will always be people who have legitimate reasons to break them (e.g. Anonymous from July 25).

Sure, there may be performance or storage consequences, but it should be up to the user whether they wish to take that hit.

• simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really do need to increase this limit of 200 channels - it is very restrictive for many scenarios

• simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding a method to archive channels or move channels into another team (which can be used for archiving) would be most helpful

• Vidia Poleon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

maybe some direct guidance on workarounds when Teams have reached the limit might suffice until a permanent resolution is reached.

The 200 channel limit is way too low for us. We want to create a channel for each client so all their conversations, files etc... are in one place. However we have around 300-350 client's per support team.

We want to use channels to differentiate between different projects. Each project will be handled by a subgroup of the members of the team. We have about 350 new projects each month, for each we need a channel. We have no idea in advance how long a channel will be used actively. It could be one week, it could be 5 years, depending on the project evolution, which we can't predict. Also a channel may be active one week, then be inactive for some months and become active again. Ideally we would like to have a "limitless" number of channels, but we could live with about 5000 channels (covering one year). The channels will not be accessed through the Teams interface, but through links in another interface.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base