How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Channel Limit (Increase beyond 200 limit)

We have run into a situation on a team, let's call it "Vendors" where we post data on vendors that we use. We set up a channel for each vendor but have "reached the limit" on the number of channels in a team. Is this something that can be controlled through an admin panel or is there another way to increase/remove the limit.

315 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
partially done  ·  Warren responded  · 

As mentioned in the prior status, the channel limit was raised from 100 to 200.

In the near future a retention limit will be set so you can still go back and reinstate a channel you had deleted. Once the retention period has expired then the channel will get a hard delete which will free up the space and no longer count toward the 200 channel limit.

This will help with some of the issues you have voiced in the comments below.
But I understand many of you wish the limit to be further increased. I will continue to provide your votes and comments to the feature team.

-Warren

86 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Francisco Alfaro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am working hard to convince the directors of the company to move all operations to Teams, but the 200-channels limit is a dealbreaker. I implemented Teams quite successfully in my area of operations, and opened up 1 channel per client (the structure is: one Team per company area, that is, one for Operations, one channel per client and one thread in the conversation per project).
    In my area of operations, I currently have 79 clients, and more than 400 projects. I have been fine with this but once I bring this up company-wide, we will hit the 200-channel limits pretty soon.
    A 200-channel limit seems irrisory nowadays.

Please provide an option to increase the number of channels within the Team. We need at least 1000.

• Antonios Makris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are using a Channel per project. At the moment we have 187 projects. We are going to hit the limit soon and I really think that the limit should be lifted. Can we expect the limit to be raised in the foreseeable future?

• Rich S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actually amazed this isn't getting more votes! With our proposed Groups structure of:

Client A
    >Project 1
    >Project 2

We will easily breach 200 channels for some clients over time. It's nonsense to impose such a seemingly arbitrary limit.

• Jonathan Davis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The last update on this is from over 8 months ago, and was listed as "Partially Done" - that implies, to me, that this is something being worked on, but an update with some specifics on what will be done along with an idea of when would be extremely helpful. Is the retention period implemented? Are we still capped at 200 lifetime channels per team? Info please!

• Carlo Cabanlig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are there any updates on increasing the limit or even making it unlimited? As a Service Provider, we do need to have a lot of channels to separate discussions properly.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would really prefer at least the deleted channels not to be counted to the 200 AND the 200 being raised.

We need to user channels quite granular which forces us to face the 200 channel-limit ...

• Steve Ruby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please raise this limit, or allow is to configure on our own. We need to use one channel per project and will hit 200 in about a year. There isn't a limit on sharepoint directories so why the teams count limit?

Hi Team,

Is there any limit on MS Teams to follow the number channel?
    For one of the group i could not see the follow channel.

we are in february 2019 and there is always this problem signaled in 2017 : amazing !

• Ian Yates commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wasn't aware of this. We've just started with Teams and plan on having a channel per customer.
    Some customers will also get their own separate "team" and we'll invite key staff from those certain customers in to those teams as guests. However most customers don't need / want this, and even for these customers who will come in as guests, we don't want them seeing our private channel about their work either.

At the moment we've got close to 100 customers so will be able to manage, but we'll hit the limit in the next 6-9 months.

Could there be ways of at least asking Microsoft to raise the limit for a specific after a support request? I could live with that. I appreciate why you want to limit the team count - user experience issues, possible perf degradation server-side or client side, etc. But if we indicate we're aware of such things it'd be nice to get a waiver (we're a software company and can relate to the need to avoid huge unbounded lists, but also can see how 300 is not the same as 3000!)

Thanks

• Jon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding the option to hard delete channels per team owner's command would help our situation, greatly.

• Jim Black commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are we going to get an update on this? This is extremely irritating to deal with a product that has had issues pointed out for over a year that are still not being addressed.

• Jason Holic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just hit the limit today - can we lift this or do I need to migrate the staff to something more mature and better suited for real business use?

• Estolpe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Critical and wierd limitation - we create a channel for each customer opportunity but we crash into this limit now - suggestions? We do not have to create a team for each beacuse then you have to invite everyone every time and it's not sustainable

Any new news that the channel number per team may be updated say to 1000 in the near future?

• Carlo Cabanlig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had recently learned about this limit - on the day I launched Microsoft Teams to our pre-sales team. We generate about more than a thousand project developments per year, and we designed teams such that that each project will be a Channel. Now I have to rethink design.

• Natanael Mignon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We hit this limit in a PoC today. The concept design uses a channel per customer in a customer service organization, where the Team level is not feasible for customer separation.

Glad we are doing this PoC and found the limit before going into production. But sad this is a definite show stopper for the time being. Any new outlook or at least a technical reasoning for this tiny limit?!

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base