How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Allow hyperlinking to network drive locations

While you are currently able to hyperlink to any https:// address, hyperlinks to \\-mapped drives does not work. having the ability to do this would be a huge help for a company that has a sophisticated network drive setup for everyone to access

488 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

HH shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

62 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Rafael Hernandez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Skype can do this with. <File://"File name">

Don't use the quotations I was just trying to put an obvious cut but do use the greater than symbols. I was pushed to this app because I believe skype is getting killed so lol

• Natalia Stasiewicz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like this feature enabled and work with network drives, whether on servers or One Drive. If MS products are secure so should be any links to network. In my case, this would help me with directing the traffic to SP as one stop for all info, and manage that traffic as well as coordinate workflow / processes. So one of the examples...we have a review process and employees are remote. We added the review process onto our SP site and as part of that were trying to add links to directories so reviewers dont have to remember all the paths where documents are to help them out and make our process more efficient. As the review process owner, me listing steps in the process and links to folders where we save supporting documents is important. This way in example the reviewer cannot tell me he/she could not find the folder. Perhaps there is a way around, but that is not the way to go. Thank you. Natalia

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are in EXACTLY the same situation. We will migrate over to O365 in the future but need a shared drive link to be regonised. Urgently.

• Sergio Villa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's been more than 2 years since I reported it and they told me it's a framework scenario around safely handling local path links.

But 2 years later even Outlook can still handle network hyperlinks.

• R. Robert Bell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'll chime in that, in a company with +22K people, we have a need to create links to network-based resources. Not everything can be stored in Teams/SharePoint.

• Willy Croezen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes please! i know i can attach a file in teams from my local network, but this will open just a copy, i need my team members to be able to annotate PDf's that I send them and then have these annotated PDFs saved back to the server, now they have to do this manually. allowing a link to the folder on the local network where thiss PDf is stored, would allow them to update the original PDF. we cannot, for technical issues move these PDfs into teh cloud, so allowing network paths is a necessity for us also!

• mattE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah this is necessary. Even competitors like slack allow this.

• Nash N commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a huge deal for a lot of organizations and it is super easy to implement. I just started liking MS products again, but with this type of attitude towards locking down users to your cloud solutions, will take MS to where it was 10 years back i.e. becoming a dinosaur in the industry.

• bork commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is such a trivial feature for Microsoft to include, and so heavily asked for, that it's absence feels like an Antifeature: i.e. Microsoft have deliberately disallowed this type of hyperlink, because they want to phase-out SMB file servers in favour of everyone using their SharePoint/OneDrive cloud, which they can data-mine and lock users into their prod^H^H^H^H services with!

• David Planchon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree. This is a major feature missing from Teams. It makes little sense to not permit UNC Path sharing in Teams. Regardless of whether or not it is used within a Corporate or Home Network environment or the Cloud, UNC Shares have been out there for decades and are in use ubiquitously. Please add this function into Teams!

• Sara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE! This is a huge obstacle for my team to begin adopting.

• Akreaxun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams has everything we want - except this feature. This is a killier criteria. We cannot use the MS Online Sharepoint due to regulatory restrictions. We also will not move to yet another incomplete solution for colaboration. (Company size: 30 people.)

So can you please enable this tiny feature?

BTW would be great to at least get a feedback on the status of the idea - just to know if we have to keep looking for another tool or if this feature will be available in the foreseeable future.

Thank you

• Toby Lawler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I realize that as a Cloud service, Teams really can't (shouldn't?) access on-premise file locations. What I envision is something that is aware if it is running on Teams Desktop and tries to open the location through the local file explorer. Obviously this option doesn't make sense on a smartphone and perhaps not even the Browser.

• Rob Saddler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I get that we are being encouraged away from using mapped drives but not having them supported in Teams is quite a blocker in organisations that still have a heavy dependency on them.

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are all still waiting on this functionality.
        Teams is great and perfect for use in and out of the office, however is always a time when reference back to network drive is required due to legacy systems. It will be sometime before this feature is not required and it's certainly not the present for everybody here.
        Is there any feedback on this what so ever? It looks like the topic is raised on a weekly basis!

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base