How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Allow hyperlinking to network drive locations

While you are currently able to hyperlink to any https:// address, hyperlinks to \\-mapped drives does not work. having the ability to do this would be a huge help for a company that has a sophisticated network drive setup for everyone to access

352 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

HH shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

45 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Rob Saddler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I get that we are being encouraged away from using mapped drives but not having them supported in Teams is quite a blocker in organisations that still have a heavy dependency on them.

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are all still waiting on this functionality.
        Teams is great and perfect for use in and out of the office, however is always a time when reference back to network drive is required due to legacy systems. It will be sometime before this feature is not required and it's certainly not the present for everybody here.
        Is there any feedback on this what so ever? It looks like the topic is raised on a weekly basis!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Started using Teams two days ago, and hitting an issue like this so soon has really dampened my enthusiasm for this product.

This should not even be a question. From a user/developer perspective, there is no difference between the two.

• Ed Eaglehouse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hyperlinks should be able to accept any URI, including network paths. It's silly that a link allows inserting only the http scheme as valid. Sometimes files are just too big to store in Teams and links are the best way to handle them; few people can afford exabytes of storage to pass duplicates of files.

• Rabbi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know about critical, but this would certainly be very useful and would remove a glaring incompatibility between Teams and the rest of the MSO family.

Until then, an email to the Support group telling them the location of a new shared folder will have to do - because I can insert a UNC link in the email.

Trying to get Teams into a company of 70 and testing with 10 users - hit this road block!

Same problem here. Our team can work around it by copying the location, but it is definitely a required feature

I've just spent quite a bit of time trying to get this to work before finally realising that it isn't possible yet. I don't even understand how it could have been overlooked. My team have just started using Teams and I am honestly rethinking that choice now because of how this will limit us. Please fix this asap.

• Conan Ford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm going to chime in here too, this is a critical missing feature. Really need this to make this program work on our projects. We have large files that we can't pratically work with in the cloud (due to connection speeds or client requirements).

How hard is it really to allow file:// links?

I agree with other posters, this is a critical feature that prevents us from using Teams at our business. Our network file structure is essential to our workflow and cannot be ported over to the cloud.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base