How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Post OneNote page reference in Conversations

Add the possibility to post a reference to a OneNote Channel page under Conversations. When the reference is clicked in Conversions, the desired page is opened under the OneNote tab.

AS-IS you can use "Copy Link to this page...", but when clicked the page is not opened in Teams. Opens in OneNote Online.

74 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tor Erik Venåsen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Will McGuire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed...by extension, any app should be able to be referenced this way quickly. e.g. if I type the following in Conversations
        @[Team Name] see ##[MS App e.g. "OneNote" notes on ##[specific topic text]
        where ## is hash which tells the system to query a particular app or search for data in the system.

OR make it even more user friendly using indexing which already exists to provide data across the Teams no matter where it's stored

@[Team Name] see ##["specific topic text"]

For the above, when the person types in ##["specific topic text"] in Conversations, the system shows 1-3 visuals from what it thinks the user is trying to reference (e.g. similar to the hoverovers in Office 365) and then they can pick the one they were referring to.

Over time the Machine Learning engine in Teams will be able to present search results.

Incorporate Bing search engine code or similar code to allow the user to benefit from searching capabilities without it being so technical to reference items. Making it more like using Search Engines will drive adoption by making the tool more useful.

In other words, get away from driving people having to learn standards for where documents / content go to reference data and drive it more to how a mind really thinks.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any movement on getting this feature implemented? We've had requests from our company for this.

• David G. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also when you copy a link to the page, it does not go to that page, but the top page in the section. This needs to be addressed.

• Chad Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I definitely agree with this. When I use the 'conversation' panel on a OneNote page, then the conversation should be for the page, not the section.

• Tom Hill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'll add to this:

When you grab a link to a OneNote page by right clicking on it, the contextual menu item says "Copy link to this page." That gives you a URL you can share. If you click on that link from anywhere - A conversation in Teams, an email, etc, you are taken to OneNote online in your browser and sent to the TOP page of that notebook section, not to that specific page. The user then has to find the page.

So in summary, two things I guess:
        - The "Copy link to this" page is inaccurate, because it is actually a link to the top of the section the page is in, and;
        - If the user clicks on that link in a conversation in a Team, it should open the notebook in the Teams, not open it in OneNote Online.

• Shawn Burke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree. When the OneNote tab is created originally, it posts a very nice looking link in the conversation. However, i haven't been able to find a way to accomplish this after the tab has been created.

Feedback and Knowledge Base