How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Make "Follow this channel" the default setting.

Usual Microsoft lack of UI intuition.
Channels should be followed by default with the user unfollowing it if they wish.

658 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Derek shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

101 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tom Redhead commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also vote "Why wasn't this fixed the day after it was discovered". Very big hurdle to my company relying on Teams.

• Wesley Griffin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are an electrcial contractor and we use teams for our front-line workers. We add them to new teams (which are projects in our case) and they don't get notifications becasue they're not automatically following the channel. Please add this feature.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be the ideal solution for me:
        https://imgur.com/a/Kd8iEsH
        There is already the auto-favourite ability why not a auto-follow?
        The value this brings is that a common complaint from team owners is that staff don't follow the teams they should and so miss important communications

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please address this. It's a giant adoption problem for us. Or at least make it more intuitive to "follow" the channel (and the distinction between "following" and "flavoriting" confuses users too.

• Curtis Parker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree. Follow should be the default. In fact, there should be a powershell cmdlet that lets me follow a team channel and the corresponding office 365 group.

Just need an option "follow this channel" upon creation and need permission for who can enable it. We don't want anyone to create a group and everyone receive all of the notification as well.

I would rather have give the choice to channel creator to choose the behaviour to make it Follow by everyone in the teams or not.

In many case this could make more noise than required for many users and force them to do an action that could annoy them.

The channel creator can reflect what's best and make his choice at creation.

• Mohamed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just started using teams. Definitely agree this should be the default.

• Nate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This truly is the worst, most inexplicable thing about teams.

On literally every other chat system on the planet, if you're in a group, you get notifications by default and can turn them off or snooze them manually if you don't want them. Only Teams does this completely backward.

Not only do you have to opt in to get notifications from a channel (i.e. "follow" the channel), but you have to DIG for the option. It's really counterintuitive. But honestly, that problem is only a problem because you don't just have channels followed by default.

For this reason, nobody at my company uses Teams for announcements. Because Teams groupchats in the "Chat" section are so limited (limited number of people, inability to remove users even after they leave the company, etc), and everybody knows that the Teams/Channels part of Teams is a ghosttown, some of us even switched to Slack for some groupchats.

Insane this is not an option. Pointless for user to create a team of new members don’t receive an actual NOTIFICATION

• Matt Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is essential for roll-out across our organization. I think adoption will be low without 'follow this channel' enabled as the default setting. It should be set so that users receive notifications from followed channels by default, but to give them the opportunity to opt-out. Especially as most new Teams will be used for group messages as an alternative to group emails.

• LWCC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In our case, allowing the owner creating the channel in the "Add Channel" section to have the option to set it to automatically follow for all members... right by the option that is there to auto favorite for all members.

• Simon Bassett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES! This would be a game changing feature. Our company could switch off of many legacy and in-house notification solutions.
        Please add this.

• Rick B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not sure if I agree that every channel should default to being followed. I do think that when a channel is being created or edited that there should be an option similar to the 'make favorite for whole team' option should be available for the whole team to follow.
        In addition, I think Owners of a Teams should be able to specify which members should follow a channel, not just all or nothing.
        For instance, say a crossfunctional team is created with many members and then functional specific channels are created. As a Team Owner I would like to ensure that the appropriate Team members get notifications for their respective channels.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base