How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Make "Follow this channel" the default setting.

Usual Microsoft lack of UI intuition.
Channels should be followed by default with the user unfollowing it if they wish.

908 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Derek shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

145 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Chop chop Microsoft. Tired of messaging people to ask if they've read my message on a channel, like when my mother phones me to ask if I've read her text message

• Adam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Warren, please update us on this as your last response was 10 months ago and the original request was over two years ago.

• Adam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are about to roll this out and I can tell adoption will be terrible without this feature. So far on the limited trial we have done this has proven to be the case. Please make this at least an option.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why wouldn't this be the default and then you opt out if you wanted to stop getting notifications from that team?

• Jennifer Borri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a big win for user adoption of Teams. We're at 65% adoption after implementing 11 months ago, and it has remained flat at this rate for months despite roadshows and additional weekly training sessions created. User education can only get us so far. Owner or admin settings to do this would help tremendously.

I can't keep up with clicking on following new channels - so I miss important comm.
    Everyone expects you to see their new comm....but i don't because I'm not following.
    So mistakes occur.
    So make follow the default.
    If I don't want to be bothered by that channel I'll turn it off.
    Duh?
    Duh!

I have lots of users in my organization asking for this. It could be that it's only a possibility to do it on the General channel.

• Joel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be very helpful if a channel or team owner could change the default setting for their team or channel.

Still waiting for an answer. I guess this is one of the most important features of teams. If you don't want to make it as a setting at least let us activate it with power-shell :)

• zlex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i need it for global channels (security, Marketing Information, and so on) it would be great. Please hurry up to implement this. The idea is two years old

I proposed default is follow and they could make unfollow. Each time i write message i always @general take time

• Bradley S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I googled for this and this was the first link. I agree that it should be an option for each channel so that new users that are added to the team automatically follow the channels that are set to “default follow channel”

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.