How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Make "Follow this channel" the default setting.

Usual Microsoft lack of UI intuition.
Channels should be followed by default with the user unfollowing it if they wish.

537 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Derek shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

83 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Rick B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not sure if I agree that every channel should default to being followed. I do think that when a channel is being created or edited that there should be an option similar to the 'make favorite for whole team' option should be available for the whole team to follow.
        In addition, I think Owners of a Teams should be able to specify which members should follow a channel, not just all or nothing.
        For instance, say a crossfunctional team is created with many members and then functional specific channels are created. As a Team Owner I would like to ensure that the appropriate Team members get notifications for their respective channels.

• Lucas Reinhart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just wanted to add small detail, there is a setting to auto favorite the channel for members, however, that does not auto follow and in my opinion, it should. Not sure what the difference is between favorite and follow...

• Lucas Reinhart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES PLEASE, we want to use teams for a rotating after hours channel and every time they are removed and then added again, they have to re-follow, this is ridiculous

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding this little feature would be very simple and usefull for a loooot of teams out there!

For us this is the most important feature of teams! Otherwise teams totally doesn‘t make sense!

Absolutely need this, otherwise it doesnt make sense to switch from slack to teams

• .M. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, currently, you create a Team to address a group of people; then you also have to send them all a message or @mention each of them individually in order for the Team to be of any use (for them to see that they have been messaged, without continually checking Teams status)? Not good

Please add this feature, users are looking for another product due to the lack of notifications by default

• Keram commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Happy new year 2019 MS Teams team :)

I just realized that me (and my team) need a feature like this, an automatic following of channels, so team members do not have to worry about forgetting to follow a new team chat.
        Make it an option you can set in the team itself i.e. "auto follow channels created in this team", that would be great.
        This idea sits around since March 2017...

• Travis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this feature and it should have been in place from the get go. we are trying to implement an org-wide team, which is having issues of its own. this follow setting is a must as we will be using it as an emergency alert system to message all of potential problems or emergencies occurring in the agency. PLEAS ADD THIS FEATURE!

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely a needed feature! I enrolled our team to Teams, shortly following our exodus from the app due to the lack of notifications which was very frustrating and a waste of time, only to now find out that each of the channels must be individually followed by every user..and having around 10 teams with over 10 channels in each, you can see how that would cause a few complaints. Please add this!

This is a must have! I have worked to get everybody to switch to Teams and now I start to regret it as I have to remind everyone to follow the channel we make EACH TIME otherwise the channel is dead due to lack of notifications.

WhatsApp is one of the most common apps for people communication with more than 1.500 million users in 2018. When somebody creates a WhatsApp group, everybody receives an alert for each message. In my opinion, the user experience should be similar to ensure the success of Teams with a big group of people. If Microsoft Teams is thought for a big group of users, it is necessary for some extra functionalities.

• Keith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yip not the best as big as Microsoft are they are not at the races. We send messages and updates saying please follow this channel.and geuss what. They don't get it literally. Follow all and opt out is a must.

This an absolute must. People dont know if they are getting messages. You should give the option to make new channels followed by default

• Patrick H. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow Team owners to enforce (or at least enable by default) following specific channels.

Sorry I've been missing the updates in this chat because I haven't been getting notifications. - Said all users of Microsoft Teams

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi there, this is actually pretty confusing for the less tech savvy people in my school and has resulted in them moving group chats to whatsapp. Not ideal...

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base