How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Mass add users to a channel or team

Please add mass add users to a channel or team.
Like we use on other Office 365 services. email@domain;email@domain and (if possible) @everyone something like that.
I'm using and loving Microsoft Teams :-)
Thanks a lot.

665 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Andre Henrique Buss shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    needs your feedback  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

Hi folks, I am collecting feedback on this so we can determine prioritization and user need.

Please comment in the thread below and/or tweet to me at @skprufo about how this affects you, how you currently add members, and who you think would benefit from this in your organization.

Thank you!
    Suphatra

99 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mark Collie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea but I would lean more to not only have the examples above but also via CSV import for large numbers not in defined groups already.

• Mtmcn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Reading your post of 16/03/17 is a great idea but sadly not all users in many organisations have the access rights to create a DL.

Would this work for adding members of another team using the team's email address?

• Mtmcn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Suphatra,

Having to create a team of more than 10 or so people is a tedious task.

Adding users by pasting a delimited string of email addresses would be better then nothing.

Allowing the team to access the owner's contacts so that a group could be added where members of that contact group gets parsed into a delimited string of email addresses.

Allowing the members of another team to be added by selecting the MS Team as a user then follow the same process of retrieving the team's member list gets parsed into a delimited string of email addresses.

In all cases, the programmatic result is a delimited list of email addresses to be added using the same process that occurs when making individual selections.

Thanks, Marty

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to be able to copy a list of email addresses and create a team from it. I need to be able to create teams ad hoc for specific purposes. If the team has more than a few members, adding members one by one is far too slow. Office 365 support indicates that the only way to add multiple people is to use a contact group, security group, or Office 365 group. Those aren't options for me, since I don't have administrative access and I don't want to wait days while I submit a request and wait for a response.

Here's an example that happened today: I created an ad hoc team this morning for 31 people who are collaborating on a multiple-month class. We need to communicate for the duration of the class, and Teams is the perfect collaboration platform. Unfortunately, I had to add the members to my new team one by one. It took a long time, and struck me as absurd. Why couldn't I just copy their names from an Outlook email or the list of email addresses given me in a spreadsheet?

Please add this feature.

I would say if we just could take the list of emails of a meeting invite and copy paste it in the add members and automatically recognizing as it does in Outlook would be already a great step!

• Peter Wang (HPI) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it's quite time-consuming and tedious to add members one by one copying and pasting email addresses. Teams cannot recognize "," or ";" separated email addresses?

• Julian Knight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mass adding can be done by adding an Azure AD security group or an Office group. However, this only seems to COPY the users over, it doesn't appear to then update?

You should be able to make an Azure AD security group a "member" which should make all of the id's in that group members and should update as the group is updated.

• IndefiniteBen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we get an update from someone who still works at Microsoft? Suphatra left.
        I often get sent a collection of email addresses from various domains in a comma or semi-colon separated list. I just want to be able to copy and paste this list once, instead of having to copy and paste every single email individually.
        Generate link doesn't solve this (AFAIK) for guest or external users, only users already in your AAD.
        We communicate via email with external parties during project acquisition and then invite them to our Teams and AAD, but this is often quite a list...

• Nigel Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am assuming the intergration to moodle to create teams and sub groups was via a spreadsheet. Why not create a feature defining the spreadsheet column names and content and allow creation from any excel spreadsheet.

• Puah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Instead of single line textbox, change to multiline textbox. Allow email addresses - one in each line OR all in one line but separated by "," or ";".

• Jeremy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand how this isn't obvious to be honest. It's almost the same use case as Outlook.

Comma or semicolon delimited lists of users are used for groups/membership in every other product. The only semi-feasible workaround I have is adding all to a DL and importing the DL into Teams, but that has its own issues.

csv batch lists; copy and paste list of emails from outlook distribution list. Currently, doing a non productive copy/paste name by name

• A McPherson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be useful if membership could be done based on membership to AD groups or InTune

• A McPherson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This affects me considerably and I don't understand what further information you need. The ability to use a comma or semicolon or a space or directly copy from excel.

There about 1000 students at my school and I'd like to introduce teams to the student. So far I have settled to experiment with just a small number of staff and classes. But that alone has been very tiresome for me to set up. In a lot of cases,

It would be great to also be able to just copy in a list of peoples names. Because my tennant has several hundred thousand people, there are many duplicates. But it would be useful still if I could copy in a list of names then go through each name one by one and select from the little drop down menus that appear.

This would be great especially helpful if you could mass-add via CSV spreadsheet for high school class advisers who need to add an entire grade when we do not have this as an OU in Active Directory. The teacher could create a spreadsheet from our SIS and then upload to their team.

just unbelievable that the option is not implemented ! add one by one contact and if we have 150 contacts to add ? you have to remember the previous contact you have added to add the next one ? a nightmare !

This is a huge add. having to add personnel to a team group one by one is silly and time consuming.

• Peej Maybe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would very much like this - as when we run any Microsoft Teams training, we have to individually type in names to the Team Membership - we can't even copy / paste a semicolon-separated list of email addresses, usernames or names.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base