How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Mass add users to a channel or team

Please add mass add users to a channel or team.
Like we use on other Office 365 services. email@domain;email@domain and (if possible) @everyone something like that.
I'm using and loving Microsoft Teams :-)
Thanks a lot.

585 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Andre Henrique Buss shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

81 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a huge add. having to add personnel to a team group one by one is silly and time consuming.

• Peej Maybe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would very much like this - as when we run any Microsoft Teams training, we have to individually type in names to the Team Membership - we can't even copy / paste a semicolon-separated list of email addresses, usernames or names.

Having the ability to mass add users would be more efficient especially when starting up a COP

• Travis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

just created an org-wide team. it pulled in over 300 users that were just temps and cant be removed in some cases. tried editing team through the admin center, but the teams there do not display team members, think this is a glitch.

• Grant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For teachers using this as a replacement for Classrooms, the ability to paste in a class list could save time every term. Or to create teams from email distribution lists such as staff, parents, team members, etc.

• Bernd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we would like to be able to call an API from an existing backend tool which provisions users on Teams/Channels based on users permissions set in this backend tool. Required permissions level should just allow 'add users' and not require brought permissions. E.g. provision a flight crew per flight based on their assignment in the resource management tool

• Diane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We desperately need this! I just googled how to mass add because I'm about to have to manually add 500 people ONE AT A TIME because they aren't part of existing Teams to add them by groups. Sigh. This is a basic to me and I'm surprised it's not a function already.

• Joe Wieck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to add users one at a time which is completely unsustainable. Why even bother having groups set up if I can't use them? It's the same issue with Power BI permissions and is very frustrating.

• M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great to add a whole dept with a group or distribution list and even more if that would mean that any newcomer is also added automatically to the team/channel.

Currently adding them one by one makes it a bit complex and even more with big teams (groups)....

• Stefan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With every new product team we have to setup the Teams members manually.
        As we integrated external workers into the Teams, AD group support will not help, because the users are not in the AD.
        Maintaining every single member is too time consuming.

• Derek Watson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are proceeding forward with migrating multiple terabytes from our file shares to Teams / SharePoint. being able to add a large number of users to a team will be imperative in the feasibility of this plan.

• Jeff Snyder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using dynamic Group Membership rules, we should be able to add users to specific teams Teams, not just the associated Sharepoint Security Groups (ex. Visitors, Members, Owners)

Absolutely agree! I am an O365 admin. People often come to me for basic help, including added large numbers of users to a team. I need to be able to do this quickly!

Managing users for a Team via AD groups would be a big plus. This would, for our corporate, make adding and removing users a less administrative intensive endeavour.

I would agree that it needs to support AD groups, we have some pretty large teams that often have starters and leavers and it would be great if the AD group could be used so we don't have to repeat the exercise in two (or more) places.
        It would also be useful to be able to paste a list in and use <CTRL>K to validate the list

• Anette Bergström commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@skprufo As it is fully integrated with Active Directory I suggest that we should be able to use distribution lists, AD-groups and users ... and as suggested below, use similar functionality as in Outlook, adding one after another and use ctrl+K.

• Alan Teal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You should be able to add a group of people i.e a group you have defined in sharepoint or an email group or active directoey. Thus you can admin that group and as you add or remove people the permissions change elsewhere including teams

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base