How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Automatic translation of messages into your prefered language.

Sometimes is just easier to use your own language for writing, or you start a conversation in the middle of another and they are using different language. To have the option for automatic translation of the messages would be great for multicultural teams.
I know other apps that have this functionality and sometimes is really useful.

172 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Gabriel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

25 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Much needed in a multi-national, multi-lingual environment like the one I work in

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Translation can be enabled via the Windows app and desktop website but not the android app. Unsure about ios but would doubt it. Bringing translation to all MS teams apps would be hugely beneficial.

• Srinath commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Much needed in a multi-national, multi-lingual environment like the one I work in

• Stefan Benadik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Working on multi-national company and users keep asking for this feature. Please try to prioritize it. Thanks!

• s.n. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be great if we could communicate in our own language in multi location and multi cultural team.

• tanomaki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would prefer to add a translator echo bot to show the translation visible for everyone in the team's chat space. if the translation result can be checked by everyone, someone can mention to the bot with correct translation there was something wrong translation were found. This will facilitate leaning business conversation translation features on the AI of the translator API services.

• Frank Carius commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 i would like to have a "default language" per Channel, so the spell checker knows what to to.
        Also Teams should be able to detect the right language per Message and offers a translation to the channel langauge.
        It would be great to have a user setting like "languages i understand" and teams can translate posts in a foreign language to one of my languages

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sign me up! We work in a trilingual company (English, Spanish, Catalan), and many times the coordination of tasks goes through lots of hands and multiple languages. This would be GREAT on a day to day basis.

• Gordon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Suphatra - we discussed this at the global tour you guys did. Appears there are a few ideas on similar need as this. WeChat and Facebook and even skype have reasonable implementations of this that allow translated and untranslated views. Can you provide any visibility / update??

• Jimmy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1! Please consider adding this option into Teams app. :) Thanks

• Josh Sullins (Michelin) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I fully agree - As the strategy clearly moves to "Yammer and Teams" for all communications, just like Yammer, Teams needs the Translator API for conversations.

For us, it is a real nightmare, as Michelin has two official languages (French and English) and we have LOTS of English speakers that do not speak French (it is normal...) and the occasional French speaker who does not speak English, but has lots of valuable skills and experience to offer...

We are losing the French-only speakers completely in Teams, and (by comparison) we have great interactions in Yammer thanks to the Translator API.

• David Beck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The translation feature, which is not available in the Microsoft Teams App, but is available in Skype, if added to Teams, would make the programme a true business and organisation package. Indeed I feel with many others that without a Translator feature the Teams programme is not a complete business package. Microsoft, please could you consider adding the Translator feature to Teams? My thanks, David.

• Sean Koehler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My company has a diverse makeup and conversations can become multi lingual. A quick translate function in conversation would be much better then going to Google Translate and pasting in text.

• Will Owen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would really like to see this happen :) I work with others all over the world and I don't want to them to revert back to one language.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base