How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Share a channel between teams

I like the default compartmentalisation of Teams. However quite often, I'd like to have 1 'public front' of my team towards the other teams.

The only option for this seems to be to have a Team "Everyone", and create a separate channel per team again. But this then splits the discussion unnecessarily between teams.

Ideally, I'd like to take a team channel, and share it with all the other teams.

252 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

DJ shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

26 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Eugene commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looking for this feature. We need share some informations between departments while all othe channels must be only visible to members ( HR, Finance). Will be logical have one channel that they share with whom required and for small team work between departments.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is extremely desired. We have a major development program which decomposes into multiple work streams. Each work stream is it's own team. Often there is information that needs to be shared between teams, architectural guidelines that cross teams. Having that information visible to all teams rather than relying on team members to track an "architecture team" and their own team is very desirable.

• Bogdan Manolache commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add the posibility to create a shared channel between two or more teams. Each team should be able to name that channel in its own way... and each team owners should be able to exit their team from a shared channel at any time.

Also, please create a "Public" channel (like "General") that could be optionally activated by the owners of the Team, in case the team would prefer to allow anyone from the organization to contact them via this channel (bobody should be able to Unfollow the "Public" and "General" channels).

• cesar de la garza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes! just need the ability to make a channel within a team public so that other teams can see it and post there.

• Loren Okuly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Supper important for our organization as well. We find that we end up creating teams just to hold shared channels forcing users to be in too many different teams to the point where it makes the product annoying to use. I agree completely with the comment posted @ September 12, 2018 10:25 AM.

Another reason you should make it happen, aside from it being a must have features, its one of the main features on the TEAMS vs. Slack comparison deck that the SLACK sales team uses when they visit customers.

This would be a most welcome feature and should be considered just as valuable as private channels

I agree! Here is my scenario: Within my organization, we have multiple teams that collaborate on multiple projects. For example, Engineering with design a project, marketing with market the project, the sales team will then sell it. As of right now, we have to have an Engineering team, Marketing Team, and Sales Team that all have a separate ProjectX channel, then having a new team that is Engineering+Marketing+Sales that also has a ProjectX channel. Then everyone has to dig through each of the three individual team channels just to see what was said where, then post that in the whole group team channel and its a mess.
        What we would prefer is that all teams stay separate, then share the channel across all teams so that way we don't have to add an extra team, and we don't have four channels to dig through but only one channel.
        I know that we could create a multiple department team then have separate channels and have people follow those specific channels but then there is an issue of privacy of who can see what. So creating a channel that can be shared between teams is ideal. Especially since we may have four projects going at once, we don't want to add to the confusion with several channels per project per team.

• Mark Vigrass commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At my organisation we have groups set up in teams to deal with projects at a high level. We often need to invite people from different parts of the organisation to discuss a specific topic within the project, and get their input and decisions. We wouldn't necessarily want them to have full access to the team just the specific channel, so we would like to be able to share a channel with people not just with all other teams in some cases.

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A scenario for my organization is sharing a channel related to our website with the international teams.

Great to see update Warren - Thanks. Otherwise, like waiting for the bus that may or may not come....frustrating. Working with a large client who wants to be able to collaborate on a document between two members each in a separate team as well. However, I see you have "Private Channels" as work in Progress which will sort this as well - so all good. These are two biggies.

We're a very complex organization. Sometimes it's not appropriate to invite everyone to be on certain teams. However, content can be helpful across the org. Sharing content across channels and teams would be a great new feature.

• Edward Cuttle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please, allowing channels to be an intersection between different teams would be very useful.
        Currently we are adding the world and it's wife into a team just so we can have a channel to converse about common topics with other teams - it makes a complete mockery of the concept of a team and denigrates the utility of Teams.

• Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Glad someone posted this as it would be really helpful to us as well

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base