How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Share a channel between teams

I like the default compartmentalisation of Teams. However quite often, I'd like to have 1 'public front' of my team towards the other teams.

The only option for this seems to be to have a Team "Everyone", and create a separate channel per team again. But this then splits the discussion unnecessarily between teams.

Ideally, I'd like to take a team channel, and share it with all the other teams.

367 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

DJ shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

39 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Matt Baker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would also be great if a tab from one team's channel could be embedded into another team's channel as a tab with only one central source for the data i.e. no duplication.

• Paul Kardash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we please get an update about this?
    This is very crucial for mature and large organizations.
    Some channels/ideas/topics must be communicated across different teams. I know some might offer to setup a common team for that, but that kind of defeats the purpose of working under one umbrella.

• Heston Harper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we bring this back from the back log. THIS IS SUCH A CRITICAL FEATURE!

Cross collaboration is a MUST in any modern day business. Here is my example:

We have a Comms & Marketing Dept - We give them a TEAM. 'COMMS TEAM'

Within that Team we have channels for communications and marketing activities related to Sales, related to HR, related to Development, related to Operations - we give these CHANNELS.

COMMS SALES CHANNEL, COMMS HR CHANNEL, COMMS DEV CHANNEL

But those Channels have their own TEAMS - The Sales Team, The Development Team.

For maximum adoption, alignment, and use - we need to co-host the COMMS SALES CHANNEL in BOTH the SALES TEAM and the COMMS & MARKETING TEAM. So when the SALES TEAM want to look at the latest marketing they stay within their team and comment to the COMMS SALES CHANNEL which auto updates/mirrors to the same channel hosted in the COMMS & MARKETING TEAM.

This is a laboured / detailed example of many uses of these co-hosted channels - modern day business have matrix structures. The absence of this functionality is SERIOUSLY LIMITING our teams Teams abilities...

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Echoing what others have said, would be very useful to have a public channel for each team, which would make it much easier to communicate between teams. Making them members causes permission issues; creating new teams for public and private chat is just a headache. Perhaps a toggle to set the ‘general’ channel as public or private?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My organization would greatly benefit from this feature. The current structure of the TEAM - Channel is impeding us from fully adopting the platform for inter-departmental collaboration. The ability to share channels without expanding TEAMs would greatly facilitate collaboration on multidisciplinary projects.

Looking for an update on this feature request. It would be very useful instead of having to download the product of a shared channel so that I can "share" it to other users without them having access to the rest of the Team.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are also very interested in this. We have 8 Development teams that do not want to be disruppted in their chats, and they should have a frontend. But monitoring a shared team is not a good option, so having that frontend-channel shared accross weould be aweosme

We have a massively cross collaborative organization that needs both exclusion and availability across teams - please break this artificial Silo down. I would suggest you study FlowDock (not for what it's become bit for how they managed this - elegant)

This is superior to flowdock (never thought I would say that) and just needs to be a little more flexible for true agile collaborative behaviors as it seems you want: Agile Team Collaboration? Or Agile like?

• Mick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a big ask for us as well!
    We have an strategic Team site with incubation targets identified in channels. For now, we have to create a separate team for each incubation target to control the membership.

Having the ability for us to link a channel to a different Team site helps control the membership but more importantly creates a more simplified organization.

We need this feature also. We need to share between Teams/Departments but don't want all out financial/confidential documents available to all.

• Eugene commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looking for this feature. We need share some informations between departments while all othe channels must be only visible to members ( HR, Finance). Will be logical have one channel that they share with whom required and for small team work between departments.

This is extremely desired. We have a major development program which decomposes into multiple work streams. Each work stream is it's own team. Often there is information that needs to be shared between teams, architectural guidelines that cross teams. Having that information visible to all teams rather than relying on team members to track an "architecture team" and their own team is very desirable.

• Bogdan Manolache commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add the posibility to create a shared channel between two or more teams. Each team should be able to name that channel in its own way... and each team owners should be able to exit their team from a shared channel at any time.

Also, please create a "Public" channel (like "General") that could be optionally activated by the owners of the Team, in case the team would prefer to allow anyone from the organization to contact them via this channel (bobody should be able to Unfollow the "Public" and "General" channels).

• Loren Okuly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Supper important for our organization as well. We find that we end up creating teams just to hold shared channels forcing users to be in too many different teams to the point where it makes the product annoying to use. I agree completely with the comment posted @ September 12, 2018 10:25 AM.

Another reason you should make it happen, aside from it being a must have features, its one of the main features on the TEAMS vs. Slack comparison deck that the SLACK sales team uses when they visit customers.

This would be a most welcome feature and should be considered just as valuable as private channels

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.