How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Captioning on Audio and/or Video

As being employer to several staff who is Deaf and reply on using subtitle when watching video. I was surprised to see no subtitle/closed captioned feature when I play a video called Introduction to Microsoft Team Product Tour (2.03 minutes video) as enclosed in this attachment.
Thank you.
Regards
Peter

48 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has there been any further progress on this, as automatic closed captioned/subtitles during Team and 1 to 1 calls is a highly demanded feature here, and not just from those with hearing impairment.

• Chris Tolmie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just to check, the content of the description above just talks about captioning of one particular video. But the requests in this thread ask about real-time captioning of audio for deaf ?hearing impaired collaboration participants. Is this the designer's understanding?

• Ovidiu Caba commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I primarily need this feature in group meetings.

In one to one meetings, the interlocutors usually use good headsets/microphone, so I don't have problems understanding them in this scenario.

• Melissa Gonzalez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Warren! in our organization, my team has daily meetings, with group calls, so, this will be very useful if you can do a translator in group calls, but in one on one calls can be useful too! so everyone can use both without limits.
        I'll be very thankful!!!

Regards
        - Melissa Gzz

• Chris Tolmie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My suggestion is both if possible! But I guess one on one is less complex as a first phase. My son is part of a number of teams so his problem is when there are groups participating.

• Anesh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

are there any progress in the development of the captioning on audio and/or video?

also, are there plans in adding a realtime captioning feature in microsoft teams?

• Hayo Mulder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good evening, I wonder if there is already some progress in this. Skype is getting better and better from this perspective, meaning it's very well possible to have this built into Teams as well. Thank you!
        Hayo Mulder - HCL Technologies (MS Teams as official collaboration tool).

• Melissa Gonzalez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are a group in an organization that we are hard hearing impaired, our way to communicate in daily meetings has been using the Microsoft Translator Speech API (https://github.com/MicrosoftTranslator/SpeechTranslator/releases) but at the moment is not working, currently we use Skype Business in our organization. We have tested the option of Skype translator, however we have not been able to use it since our organization is managed with Skype Business (https://www.skype.com/en/features/skype-translator/). And it would be quite useful for us that Microsoft Teams had integrated this option of translator like the Skype Translator (it is our most viable option because it transcribes in real time and for us it resemble us as a closed captions). We really need it! please apply it also in the Microsoft Teams, is usefull that the software will be like transcriptor in real time. That would make your software more accessible and useful.

• Brayant Velazquez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, i a worker in a organization who requires the call for reunions in skype, but in on time we change the Skype for the Microsoft Team, and i am deaf, definitively need this accessibility services, you can integer the services of Microsoft speech or same technology of speech.

• Joe C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a definite must for our organization as we serve students with hearing disabilities and will require this immediately

• Peter Kendall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Suphatra — Yes, I do forgive you ! Glad that you all at Microsoft took serious on accessibility issue and shall looking forward to see captioned video in due course.

Thank you.
        Peter

• Peter Kendall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As being employer to several staff who is Deaf and reply on using subtitle when watching video. I was surprised to see no subtitle/closed captioned feature when I play a video called Introduction to Microsoft Team Product Tour (2.03 minutes video) as enclosed in this attachment.

Thank you.

Regards

Peter

Feedback and Knowledge Base