How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Captioning on Audio and/or Video Meetings & Calls

As being employer to several staff who is Deaf and reply on using subtitle when watching video. I was surprised to see no subtitle/closed captioned feature when I play a video called Introduction to Microsoft Team Product Tour (2.03 minutes video) as enclosed in this attachment.
Thank you.
Regards
Peter

94 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MS not able to maintain time to market , Failure .. This was also one of the reason MS failed in windows mobile phone business. Total disappointment . Live captioning feature should be released soon before too late.

• Jay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks like work in progress for over 2 years. Not good enough. Office moving to Teams from Skype so will be asking for delay to change on disability grounds, flagging MS failure.

• Bhavesh Panchal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Dear Microsoft team ,
    Live captioning will be very helpful to person who works with Team located across the globe. This will help lot to get clear idea in Call if in case he/she unable to understand accent of foreign people. We can see for Skype it is there but now days companies are started migrating to MS teams from skype. Any tentative time line to get live call caption feature on Teams :)
    Many thanks
    Regards
    Bhavesh

• Anders Kirkeby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Beyond the disability use cases, I'm looking for this for two purposes:

1. Most people can't be bothered to watch a recorded Teams meeting. Captions could be turned into a searchable transcription of the recording with clickable timestamps recordings would be far more useful.
    2. Allow for more flexible meeting attendance - not ideal but sometimes needed nonetheless.

• Doug Holck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be so incredibly valuable, and not only to those with hearing loss. Please expedite the delivery of this useful feature!

• Krista commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As I re-read the comments below (since 2017) is there any headway on this in the past 2 years? Seriously, hearing impairment is a much misunderstood disability and no matter how much the company preaches inclusion, I have yet to feel included in my 10 years at this company in regards to what I need in order to perform. No, managers and teams members do not know (due to lack of education) HOW to be work with a person that is hearing impaired. So, this is a huge priority feature that I hope is in the pipeline and avail soon. Thank you

Hi Warren, how can I get close caption on live TEAMS calls with my manager (1 to 1) so I can READ the content live and later? (I struggle with speech due to hearing impairment) and looking for this option to help me perform better at work.

• JAMES commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this for 1:1 and 1:Many calls for our users who are hearing impaired.

Surely with Microsoft's commitment to accessibility this should be a priority?

• luis sousa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about migrating ALL FEATURES of skype to Teams? If so I think seriously to migrate to teams. Otherwise I will wait that 80% of companies we work with also to be in teams..............................

• Vivian Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anything new on closed captioning for meetings or recordings? We desperately need it for one person so we don't lose him.

I know live/automatic closed captioning is coming out (or has) but what about if we have our own transcription team that does it live? Can we just get a box for them to do their closed caption typing in which is separate from the chat box during a presentation?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has there been any further progress on this, as automatic closed captioned/subtitles during Team and 1 to 1 calls is a highly demanded feature here, and not just from those with hearing impairment.

• Chris Tolmie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just to check, the content of the description above just talks about captioning of one particular video. But the requests in this thread ask about real-time captioning of audio for deaf ?hearing impaired collaboration participants. Is this the designer's understanding?

• Ovidiu Caba commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I primarily need this feature in group meetings.

In one to one meetings, the interlocutors usually use good headsets/microphone, so I don't have problems understanding them in this scenario.

• Melissa Gonzalez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Warren! in our organization, my team has daily meetings, with group calls, so, this will be very useful if you can do a translator in group calls, but in one on one calls can be useful too! so everyone can use both without limits.
    I'll be very thankful!!!

Regards
    - Melissa Gzz

• Chris Tolmie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My suggestion is both if possible! But I guess one on one is less complex as a first phase. My son is part of a number of teams so his problem is when there are groups participating.

• Anesh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

are there any progress in the development of the captioning on audio and/or video?

also, are there plans in adding a realtime captioning feature in microsoft teams?

• Hayo Mulder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good evening, I wonder if there is already some progress in this. Skype is getting better and better from this perspective, meaning it's very well possible to have this built into Teams as well. Thank you!
    Hayo Mulder - HCL Technologies (MS Teams as official collaboration tool).

• Melissa Gonzalez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are a group in an organization that we are hard hearing impaired, our way to communicate in daily meetings has been using the Microsoft Translator Speech API (https://github.com/MicrosoftTranslator/SpeechTranslator/releases) but at the moment is not working, currently we use Skype Business in our organization. We have tested the option of Skype translator, however we have not been able to use it since our organization is managed with Skype Business (https://www.skype.com/en/features/skype-translator/). And it would be quite useful for us that Microsoft Teams had integrated this option of translator like the Skype Translator (it is our most viable option because it transcribes in real time and for us it resemble us as a closed captions). We really need it! please apply it also in the Microsoft Teams, is usefull that the software will be like transcriptor in real time. That would make your software more accessible and useful.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.