How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Screen Space

Don't restrict the width of the screen space for channel conversations, if my monitor is wide enough, adjust the display to fill up all the available space.

112 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Michael Saulters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wish I could post screenshots here, but the need for this should be obvious. When I use ctrl+scroll wheel to shrink the conversations so more than 3 messages are visible, 1/2 of the horizontal area of the application is blank space or navigation or people's profile pictures. 1/3 of the vertical space is usernames, 1/3 of the vertical space is the reply link and 1/3 of the vertical space is actual messages. There aren't polite words for how BAD this is.

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Warren points out the "compact mode" thread, which is good.

However, the "professional compact chat" feature has been in "working on it" state for over 18 months with not a single piece of design feedback from the team in the meantime. We have been asking for *any* feedback constantly for at least a year.

Anyone on this thread should set their expectations accordingly.

Warren, if you're tuning out the other thread, here's a plea via this one: let us know what you are doing, or tell us that we're not getting this feature. As John Cleese said in "Clockwise" - "It's not the despair. I can live with the despair. It's the *hope*."

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Reiterating the comment by Mark Studer -
        "Yes, the experience when your chatting with a large team is terrible as the monitor is just filled with white space. I really wanted to use this for team chatting, but its just not usable for our use case. Hipchat / Slack is a much better experience where you can see 20/30 messages at a a time instead of 3/4."

• Mark Studer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, the experience when your chatting with a large team is terrible as the monitor is just filled with white space. I really wanted to use this for team chatting, but its just not usable for our use case. Hipchat / Slack is a much better experience where you can see 20/30 messages at a a time instead of 3/4.

• Gary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree. Just coming from Slack, and they align conversation content to the left and stretch it across the full width of the workspace.

• Joel Bennett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's terribly frustrating to get a scrollbar because code is "too wide" when the conversation is using approximately 1/3 the available space...

Feedback and Knowledge Base