How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

When granting access a Security group or Distribution list to a Team. Changes to the security groups/DL does not apply.

When granting access a Security group or Distribution list to a Team. Changes to the security groups/DL does not apply. If a user leaves the company or if we have new users, it is a manual process to add or remove them from a Team. Since we can select a Security group or Distribution list, changes to either should be reflected on the Team members.

852 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jason Mayde shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

82 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • William Kazmierski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm definitely interested in keeping my Teams permissions synced with my Security Group members! Is there a work-around that can be used (Flow or Powershell)? It's a hassle having to manage my permissions in 2 separate lists!

• Phill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

is there a way we can follow this so that when you update the backlog status we get alerted?

• Dan Deamer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use dynamic office 365 groups for RBAC. But we are unable to create a new Microsoft Team from those groups. We currently have to convert it to "assigned" create the Microsoft Team then switch it back to dynamic. This has slowed our roll out of Microsoft Teams, as well as our SharePoint Online migration and conversion to Modern sites within SharePoint Online.

• Jake Platt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is core to Microsoft philosophy. RBAC structure is central to a clean Active Directory. We have groups that target things logically and would love to just target those same groups for most of our teams. That way there is no overhead beyond what is already done to our existing AD structure. We have a few departments with significant turn over that will struggle to keep membership of teams accurate.

• Roy F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From what I understand (I haven't learned how to create one yet), dynamic group and team membership is already available, but once a team is configured to use dynamic membership, it will not let you add static members; e.g. you have a group ofr an org, but want to manually add a manager not in that org. This suggestion would make the use of dynamic membership trivial for users (no special configuration required) and it would allow dynamic and static membership to coexist within a group/team.

This just slightly alters the membership implementation in that having one or more dynamic groups as a member makes team membership dynamic (which is already supported) and the dynamic member list is the superset of the dynamic member groups and static members.

• Ven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very much needed, since DL constantly changes within our firm

• ricktang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does have any update ? This function should be very important to ITPro admin for Teams.

• Achraf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That would be Fantastic.
    currently when a distribution list is updated (user added or removed) the MS team users list is not updated accordantly.

Would be great if MS team is checking changes on the distribution list dynamically and add the new users…

On the other hand would be great if MS Team list the new users added.
    Today, if you add a distribution list to update the user list, the list is updated and MS team indicate the number if users added, but doesn´t list them. would be good to have names of the users added listed once added from a distribution list.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this? This was set to under review on January 31, 2018 - over three months ago

• Mark Stodter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft Teams MUST be able to accept SharePoint security groups that are managed by Office 365.
    Too much IT infrastructure has been built on O365 security group management to now make it obsolete and require redundant management of groups
    I will not implement this application in our company until this functionality is working.

• James Kim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I think it should be mandatory function for use to Teams widly!!!!
    Please fix it ASAP

• Nico commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our organization uses Active Directory Security Groups to group people. For instance, our HR department has its own security group, as well as IT and other departments. It would be great if we can mention these departments instead of having to mention the whole team.

Feedback and Knowledge Base