How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

When granting access a Security group or Distribution list to a Team. Changes to the security groups/DL does not apply.

When granting access a Security group or Distribution list to a Team. Changes to the security groups/DL does not apply. If a user leaves the company or if we have new users, it is a manual process to add or remove them from a Team. Since we can select a Security group or Distribution list, changes to either should be reflected on the Team members.

702 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jason Mayde shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

68 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mike H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please add AD sync groups to Office 365 groups. with sync'd changes when AD on-prem is updated

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to happen. Leaving central management out of this tool makes Teams too much of a mess to use at the enterprise level.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am totally stuck with how I would like architect my content and share it across different teams without the ability to add a dynamically updated distribution lists as a member of Teams Groups when sharing content from one Team/Sharepoint Site and another.

PLEASE PLEASE IMPLEMENT

I've hit this issue today and am adding my vote for up ranking the delivery of this feature.

No being able to reference a dynamic distribution list to the access rights prevents me from sharing sharepoint lists created in one team or sharepoint collection as tabs available to other users or teams.

For example I want an IT Training Team and sharepoint collection where I maintain a list of technical tip documents. Then I want to add that as a tab to the General channel of out All User team so any employee can reference the training documents. This is not feasible if the list of members with rights to the IT Training Team's sharepoint site and the list I created there has to be manually updated every time a user joins or leaves.

The lack of this feature is frustrating and holding up the ability for us to use Sharepoint and Teams in a way we would like to.

Come on MS, aren't you all about federation? This should have been part of the initial release. Now I have to have two separately managed groups, one on AAD and one in AD.

What is the latest update? When is Microsoft planning to implement this? Any information more than" on the backlog" is appreciated.

• Thomas Hansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is the latest update, when can we expect to have this functionality implemented?

Teams roll out to our organisation are dependent on the option to manage team members using group memberships.

• Mats Olsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can any Admin respond what the status is, no response on 4,5 month. From my perspective, calling this a "feature request" is strange. This is "bread & butter", should have been there from day 1.

• Joost van der Linden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree this is a real must have for many larger companies. We need both of them. Flexible and dynamic teams where a projectleader manages the members can be done from the Office 365 Group. And we need more static teams (departments) to be managed centrally from AAD or Active Directory on-prem using security groups.

• Anikke Bukowski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can this be given a higher priority please? Being unable to manage the access rights to Teams with AD Groups is a show stopper, full stop. We would completely lose control of access management if we used user-managed office 365 groups.

• Peter Braun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can this please be given a higher priority? We need to be able to manage team members via group memberships. Thanks for your hard work guys!

This functionality is really important for us since all our access to systems are managed through security groups. Having to update on two places is waist of everybodys time.

• Kevin S. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are a hybrid exchange/ad environment and would like to be able to control the memberships of a local Security group that when synced to the cloud can become an Office 365 Group or Team. This would allow our on premises provisioning and user management system to automatically manage these services.

Repeated below for emphasis. This is really essential to basic administration. Manage by groups, NOT by users. This has been basic functionality since NT 3.1 and having to manually keep them in sync is a recipe for disaster.

Matt Chapman:

"How does this get escalated to the top of the backlog? This is basic functionality that should be a requirement for the product to be considered viable. Group nesting should work by default even for synchroniced groups from on premise or Azure AD groups."

• Matt Chapman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How does this get escalated to the top of the backlog? This is basic functionality that should be a requirement for the product to be considered viable. Group nesting should work by default even for synchroniced groups from on premise or Azure AD groups.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base