How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Separate speakers for Notification Audio vs Call Audio (Desktop)

When headphones are always plugged in, it is easy to miss a notification. An option to specify different speakers for Call Audio vs Notification Audio would be awesome. Similar to Skype.

1,077 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Stefan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

198 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Again, another example of Microsoft completely failing on one of the most basic and expected user experience features. "Hey everyone, you should totally use Teams for your phone system - but just so you know you probably won't actually hear any ringing when you get an incoming call"

• MARK ROGALSKI commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring the "Second ringer; Also Ring" feature to Teams >Settings>Calls
    This is an important feature for us, when we migrate to Teams from Skype for Business (SfB) we are ditching the majority of our handsets in favor of headsets.
    For our current SfB users with headsets I have SfB client > Options > Audio Device > Also Ring > Display speaker enabled.
    This ensures users can hear the phone ring when the headset is sitting on the desk, and not miss calls.

This is something I have been pushing as a solution and I just discovered this functionality is absent from Teams client, please add this capability!

This is really a must-have feature and a step back from what Skype for Business was capable of. It is causing a number of our users difficulties with not noticing calls if they haven't got a headset on and miss the screen notification.

• Tobias Brändlin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unfortunately, I miss calls if I do not have the headset on. Is it now possible to use the PC speaker for the ringing?

I can not understand why this works on Skype, but not on teams.

If I had a choice I would go back to SKYPE just for this option. If I am not looking at my screen then I miss the call. I do not understand how this was not complained about in QA and fixed!

• Nathan Hartley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was excited to learn that within Teams the headset controls are separate from the primary device audio controls used for the ringer. This meant it should be possible to use the new "App volume and device preferences" within Windows 10 to configure settings specific to Teams. At first, I did not see Teams in the list and wondered if this was due to it not being installed in a standard Microsoft way (Hockey App). I then called myself and the app appeared. Unfortunately, changing the settings for the app did not work as expected. If it worked, this might be the answer.

Really need this.

Discovered that if you
    • set the *system* settings (loudspeaker icon in task bar) to the speakers
    • the *Teams* settings to headset
    then ringtone comes from speakers, but voice audio from headset.

Hardly obvious!

It is crazy that this is not a feature - it is so useful in Skype for Business. Teams is a great tool, but it needs people to adopt it to work. Why would people adopt software that then causes them to miss calls???

@Phil Rowel, same situation here. We wanted to migrate from Cisco to Teams but decided not to do this and to choose for Skype. Missing of this feature is one of the reasons.

• Phil Rowell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have just had to rollback to Skype for business from Teams migration purely because of this feature missing

This comment is already on here, but it makes be feel better to repeat it. My headset is sitting on the desk and someone calls me. I don't see it because I don't stare at the task tray waiting for a pop up, i am focusing on a secondary monitor. I can't hear it because Teams has no option for a secondary ringer such as the PC speakers.
    Adding insult to injury, is that if I call someone, I hear ringing in the headset and the speakers. It is exactly backwards of how it should be.
    Please, Microsoft when you replace a piece of software (Skype) with something else (Teams) make the new one better not worse.

• admin converge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

really need this, we are looking to transition from vox cloud to teams calling and this would be very usefull

Our company just switched from S4B. I'm missing calls because they do not ring the desktop speakers. Dumb that IM notifications come over the PC speakers, but incoming calls don't ring there.

Major issue for users attempting to adopt an ecosystem without traditional desktop phones. Please get this feature pushed thru ASAP.

We are having issues with missed calls because of this.
    The stupid part is that the speakers ring when you make an outgoing call, but not when your phone is actually ringing an incoming call.
    This needs to be fixed.

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this feature too.

Our work around: using the Teams mobile App for ringing.

• Stewart McGuire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like to see this feature! I always put my headphones down when not on a call but don't turn them off so when a call comes in I never hear the audible call signal!

Feedback and Knowledge Base