How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Better Team Permission Control

The current team settings are very bare-bones.

For instance, there's a single permission that allows for adding/modifying/removing tabs. These should all be separate permissions.

For the sake of usability, there could be a "master" permission for each piece of functionality (tabs, channels, connectors, etc...) and an expandable list of the sub-options where, if you didn't want to give a certain role all of the permissions for a certain functionality, you could give a role a subset of the create/modify/remove permissions.

259 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Austin Brown shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
under review  ·  Warren responded  · 

Thank you all very much for the great response. The survey is now closed. The feature team will be reviewing all the data that was gathered and responded based on the findings.
Again, thank you for helping us make Microsoft Teams the best it can be.
-Warren

12 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One context i came across : in a team, there are tabs that are linked to sharepoint lists. everyone can see the tabs, and the only way to prevent a user to see the content is to go to the SharePoint site of this team and to restrict the access manually. there should be the same behaviour in Teams that there is in SharePoint (if you don't have at least Display-Only permission, the tab is not showing up for you). The same should be applied for Planner.

• Alfie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also think we need the option of who is allowed to view which Channels / Tabs also with the option of adding your own ranks.

There isn't everyone in our Business or External suppliers I want them to view all my channels or tabs, and currenty it means that I either don't add other members to keep all content secure, or I have to create separate teams or keep the files on one-drive and share that way instead, which defeats the objective of teams.

I want to be able to add members of 1 Supplier to Rank X, Internal Stakeholders to Rank Y, and allow them to only view a specific channel or tab, so all my Teams files can stay under 1 team and they cannot view them.

• Brandon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, let us DISABLE EDITING! at least for guests.... We have to have a VIEW ONLY option

• john tullo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was on vacation when the invitation to complete a survey for this idea as well as several others arrived and the survey period apparently was only two days so I missed them. Please allow more time in the future for surveys.

Thanks

• Juanpa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The permission control in the app is very poor or you have access or you haven't.

• Jason W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

O365 Global Admins should be able to approve potential apps & connectors. Right now the permission setting is either all open or everything closed, with no ability for admins to have a pre-approved list of apps & connectors that Team owners/members can use while restricting access to apps & connectors that the business doesn't want used.

• kaustubh bhalerao commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Team, We need to add permission ability to the files uploaded too,

Ex: I am the owner of one of the team having 3 members including me,

1. I have uploaded a excel file but only me and 1st member should have full control and I need to provide only read only rights to 3rd.

If possible please try to add this option.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would really like the "teams" team to have a look at permission handling in discord, because they have very in-depth permission controls (what roles can mention all, who can write in the channel, who can upload attachments etc.).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with this. Would like the ability to grant permission on team and channel creation.

• Lars Fosdal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IMO, Both Teams and Channels could use more permissions.
    If you want to use a Team or channel for info purposes only - you would want to be able to limit who can post, and who can comment.

• Jake Moore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

100% agree. I have far too many top-level teams here. My main requirement is to keep 'channel' permissions separate to 'team' permissions but currently the only way to do this is to create a new top-level team which becomes overwhelmingly large when a new channel is created for each incident. If I could somehow either assign separate permissions (user access control lists?) to each channel then this would solve my problem.

Feedback and Knowledge Base