How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Better Team Permission Control

The current team settings are very bare-bones.

For instance, there's a single permission that allows for adding/modifying/removing tabs. These should all be separate permissions.

For the sake of usability, there could be a "master" permission for each piece of functionality (tabs, channels, connectors, etc...) and an expandable list of the sub-options where, if you didn't want to give a certain role all of the permissions for a certain functionality, you could give a role a subset of the create/modify/remove permissions.

227 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Austin Brown shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Brandon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, let us DISABLE EDITING! at least for guests.... We have to have a VIEW ONLY option

• john tullo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was on vacation when the invitation to complete a survey for this idea as well as several others arrived and the survey period apparently was only two days so I missed them. Please allow more time in the future for surveys.

Thanks

• Juanpa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The permission control in the app is very poor or you have access or you haven't.

• Jason W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

O365 Global Admins should be able to approve potential apps & connectors. Right now the permission setting is either all open or everything closed, with no ability for admins to have a pre-approved list of apps & connectors that Team owners/members can use while restricting access to apps & connectors that the business doesn't want used.

• kaustubh bhalerao commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Team, We need to add permission ability to the files uploaded too,

Ex: I am the owner of one of the team having 3 members including me,

1. I have uploaded a excel file but only me and 1st member should have full control and I need to provide only read only rights to 3rd.

If possible please try to add this option.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would really like the "teams" team to have a look at permission handling in discord, because they have very in-depth permission controls (what roles can mention all, who can write in the channel, who can upload attachments etc.).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with this. Would like the ability to grant permission on team and channel creation.

• Lars Fosdal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IMO, Both Teams and Channels could use more permissions.
        If you want to use a Team or channel for info purposes only - you would want to be able to limit who can post, and who can comment.

• Jake Moore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

100% agree. I have far too many top-level teams here. My main requirement is to keep 'channel' permissions separate to 'team' permissions but currently the only way to do this is to create a new top-level team which becomes overwhelmingly large when a new channel is created for each incident. If I could somehow either assign separate permissions (user access control lists?) to each channel then this would solve my problem.

Feedback and Knowledge Base