How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Move channel folders to Teams folder

The foldere that contain the files for each channel are stored in the main Documents library of the SharePoint site. This can be confusing as to what documents are part of the Teams channels and what are just on SharePoint. Please move the channel file folders into a "Teams" folder, so that all files from Teams are together and easy to identify.

106 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chad Ellington shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  Warren responded  · 

This feature request has been declined by the feature team. However, the feature team is working on design changes to better help differentiate Teams files.
    Which hopefully will help alleviate the confusion users are experiencing when when trying to identify SharePoint files versus Teams files.

-Warren

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ken Mamelund commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is completely insane! Messing up our root folders with a separate folder for each channel?!? This MUST be optional (to create a folder), and even then - the folder location must be configurable! Also, when changing channel name, the folder keeps its previous name... Stop letting kids decide functionality! :-(

• LisaJo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the "General" tab should be linked to the All Documents view of the library, not a channel. Then, the discrepancy between TEAMS and GROUPS that have not be teamified would be eliminated. Right now, clicking Files for an O365 Group via Outlook shows the All documents view and clicking on the similarly named tab in TEAMS for the General tab for that same O365 Group shows the contents of the General folder. While I understand the distinction and that there isn't any content missing, end-users DO NOT understand and think their files are missing. I'm getting tired of explaining this to them.

• Justin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having the option to move Teams-Folders into other Folder as a specific Subfolder would be actually excellent in order to maintain structure. We would like to see on our root structure Area A, B, C where Channel 1-2 should be in Folder A, 3-5 in B, etc. @Warren, is it possible to review the decline e.g. through customer research?

• Simon Cousins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We love Teams; we love SharePoint /Documents. We HATE that Teams makes a folder in our SharePoint /Documents for every Channel. It leads ONLY to confusion and mis-filing. Please don't force folder creation in an otherwise carefully managed and curated documents hierarchy.

• Alan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please don't try to use some kind of file type or tagging for this functionality.

The entire structure of files for Teams must be kept entirely separate from folders created in Sharepoint to manage other files. Don't keep breaking our organizational systems by polluting them with root-level folders that make no sense.

Ideally, there would be an entirely separate Teams library in SharePoint that is separated from the Documents library.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please consider finding a way for new Teams channels to integrate with an existing file structure in Sharepoint, not differentiate from it. Would be nice if we could direct the location of a file folder for a new channel (when we create the channel) and can put it in a logical place in our existing Sharepoint Structure. If you separate the Teams files from the other Sharepoint files, then you won't be able to use Sharepoint to easily find files/folders...only Teams.

• Bram de Jager commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Warren, can you elaborate on the future roadmap around this topic. I'm curious what we can expect with regards to cleaning up the file structure. It is currently messing up my folders when using OneDrive offline sync.

• BBB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's would be great! Or a dedicated library/list for every Channel or one library dedicated for Teams.

• Jim Jarrett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please! Or at least 'decorate' the channel folders with something to distinguish them from other folders.

• NakiKiwiNZ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you create a new Team it creates a new SharePoint Team Site with the same name. That's sensible.

But when you create a Channel (the next level down from a Team), it skips past the Library level and creates a Folder in a generic 'Documents' library. That's not sensible.

So Teams essentially limits you to a single 'Documents' library per Team, and everything else (Channels downwards) creates layers of folders, which causes issues later.

Can we have the option to create Libraries rather than Folders two steps down when a Channel is created please?

• TomP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please! I tried to do this "manually". I created a folder called "Teams" then moved the existing channel folders under there thinking new files would reroute this moved folder. However, Teams just creates a new channel folder of the same name at the top level. That top level folder is pretty cluttered!

• Marco Schmittnägel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great to have some kind of configuration UI for the "Files" tab to select the "Channel Folder" in SharePoint. This would solve some other problems/requirements like renaming the folder in SharePoint or showing a subfolder.

For me it's ok to automatically create a new folder in SharePoint when creating a new channel. But after this it should be possible to change the SharePoint folder of the channel - e.g. because I want to move the folder in SharePoint as subfolder to an own folder named "Team Channels".

Feedback and Knowledge Base