How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

I want to be able to point someone to a message in Teams via a URL (aka a permalink). This would be particularly useful when used from outside Teams (e.g. From a wiki, or from an email, etc) but would have use within Teams too. We currently use MatterMost (an on-premises Slack clone) and sharing permalinks to messages is something that people do often.

As far as I'm aware there's no way to get a permalink to a message from within the Teams desktop app, my request is that you make this possible. Thanks.

36 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jamie Thomson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jamie Thomson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

a gif to demonstrate why the current "Copy Link" (aka permalink) feature is so broken https://t.co/alt276w5iL

When I select "Copy Link" I expect to get a link (i.e. a URL) in my clipboard, not some rich text that is useless when pasted into a tool that doesn't recognise it.

• Kirk Munro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OMG, this is so very needed, I can't believe it's not there already! We use Teams for organization communication. We track issues (bugs, enhancement requests) in GitHub. Not everyone in our org has access to our GitHub repositories, nor do I want them to (they wouldn't use it, it costs/user, etc.). Instead, I'm setting up a bot to facilitate taking conversations from Teams and logging issues with them in GitHub, and when I do I want a link back to the conversation in Teams so that questions can be asked, and people can be notified once issues they reported are fixed.

Please, please add this feature!

Another need for this arose today. I'm having a discussion on a pull request in a gitlab repo. There was a conversation in Teams a few weeks ago that pertains to the discussion being had in gitlab but there's no way of referencing that Teams conversation. All I need is URL (aka a permalink) to that conversation which I can include in the gitlab pull request.

Please...we need URLs (aka permalinks) for conversations and messages permalinks. URLs for deeplinking are the currency of the web, they make the web what it is...its so disappointing that Teams does not support them.

(gitlab is essentially an on-premises github)

If a message permalink is pasted into another message then I'd expect that message to get quoted or presented in a nice readable way, similar to how public links are today.

• Niklas Pivic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed - I send permalinks to posts that have been made on social media all of the time, e.g. via Sl*ck, Convo, Yammer, Confluence, Facebook, et cetera, and this is almost mandatory re. Teams. Today, I have to say, Teams suffers from having to tell colleagues what to search for, when directing them to a message, instead of having to send them a permalink.

ignore my reference to the Teams desktop app, actually we need this from everywhere (i.e. all client apps, and the web app).

Whenever I see a message in Teams I'd like to be able to get a permalink to it.

Feedback and Knowledge Base