How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

More than 20 participants in a chat

We would like to use group chats for conversations that are not team/work related. However, the 20 participant limit keeps us from using the feature to it's full extent. Please increase the participant limit for group chats from 20 to 100.

988 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chad Ellington shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

This is done rolling out and you should all be able to use this function in your Teams now. Ping me at sparavi (at) Microsoft (dot) com if you have any questions!

Suphatra

181 comments

Comments are closed
  • Jeffrey Ingalls commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This limitation really puts the brakes on our implementation of teams. If you think about the reason that chat is used - urgent issues, getting attention, collaboration, etc., a limit of 19 or 20 defeats the purpose.

• mallen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This limit is really unnecessary. Chat is the primary feature my company uses Teams for.
    As an admin, the chat group limits really hurt us because when someone leave the company, I can't remove them. On top of this, I can't easily export a chat conversation (history and everything) so this can quickly turn into a mess.

• Kim Hyungki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For an enterprise targeted product, this limit is a very bad idea.
    Please remove this limitation.

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to be able to have all the people that report up to me in the same chat group. This is well over the 20 person limit

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After creating a chat group, i find i am not able to add more than 20 contacts into the group. Please remove this limitation...

• John Crombie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While this limit would always be too low for a work environment, it is made even worse by the fact that you cannot remove people from chat groups.

Currently the upper limit for the Chat area is 20 people. I'd like to be able to talk to my team in a separate chatting area aside from the Teams chat because they function differently. The Teams area is good for when we need to address specific things and have a thread, but having a separate chat that can accommodate everyone will keep the socializing separate without letting work related topics disappear in a string of messages.

We use the chats as a better war of addressing/commmunicating urgent issues and found that there is a 20 people cap on group chats.

• Seth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For an enterprise targeted product, this limit is a very bad idea.

If Teams is targeting enterprise then it shouldn't really put limits on this kind of thing. Even 100 users is too small. You want to allow the admin to set the maximum number that's allowed.

In the 'olden' days when we used to use MSN Messenger if someone texted you a pop up with the text would show up on your screen AND stay there. This way when you came back to your desk you would see it. However now with Skype for Business and Teams you get a pop up which disappears after 15 or so seconds and then disappear. Many people who only get one or two texts a day do not see these texts either at all or at least not for a while. I would pay money to have the choice to have Skype for Business or Team Chats stay up on the screen. If I didn't care when someone I would send an email.

Not being able to add someone to a Teams chat got me to stop using Teams and go back to Skype for Business. I understand about Channels but I don't want to have to create a Channel for every conversation in the off chance I want to add someone to a conversation.

• Jan Sedo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our team has above 22 members. This is very limiting. Is there any reasoning behind this weird limitation?

• Nick Currey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the "teams" section is perfectly fine, but "chat" is severely limited.

alongside this limit, you can't remove members from the chat which makes a longstanding chat room a graveyard of former employees

• Havenn Murray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since a Team allows 999 participants and they can chat in that just fine I don't really understand why group chats are capped at 20 participants. Group chats should have the same cap as the amount of people that can be in a Team in my opinion.

Feedback and Knowledge Base